FB nokiaone says GDR2/amber to release end of aug/early sept

LeLoT3

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm really disappointed with Nokia. Not because is taking too long, but because they are changing this every month.... in a few months it will be changed again for 2014!

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have to say, this may be the one thing that drives me away from Windows Phone to the iPhone. I love my Lumia 920, just like I loved my Samsung Focus, but I had really expected Microsoft to have learned from the update problems that plagued WP7. I know that they have made some improvements, and I certainly feel that Portico was released in a timely manner, but now we're back to the same story with (what I presume to be) carrier interference. At least with Apple you know there is a yearly update cycle and it's handled directly by Apple instead of going through the hands of the provider.

Come on guys get with it, no one has even given an official date of when this update is supposed to hit devices, All your ranting and raving is because you here a rumor here and there and speculate.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Come on guys get with it, no one has even given an official date of when this update is supposed to hit devices, All your ranting and raving is because you here a rumor here and there and speculate.

Wasting your breath, update madness has taken hold and all reason is out the window.....:)

Ftruck90

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, we do see what appears to be a repeat of the Mango rollout queuing up again. Based on prior experience and what we actually do know, I don't think some of the opinions to be far fetched. Certainly, we're better off than Android users have been, but I see value in Apple's approach.

I would argue against being better off than Android users. Official update wise - yeah, sure. However WP is kinda jammed in this awkward middle ground as far as updates go overall. iOS is super locked down but official updates are handled better than anyone else by a mile and Android is open but official updates are handled like **** however there is a plethora of custom ROMs that utilise the latest OS versions even on ageing devices that can be easily flashed due to Android's open nature. Then you get Windows Phone, which is locked down but not so much Apple as you can still flash other carriers ROMs, has terrible official updating time frames yet lacks the custom firmware aspect of Android. So essentially Windows Phone is the bottom of the totem pole in this regard.

Other manufacturers need to take a leaf out of Apple's book and tell carriers that they will handle the end to end update procedure themselves. Release an update through a central channel which can be accessed by all users simultaneously. Yes this adds to your maintenance costs because you can't offload testing to carriers but customer satisfaction would be higher. I have an unbranded 920 and surely there should at least be an immediate central upgrade channel for those types of devices as there is no carrier that needs to give the ok to the firmware. Unbranded device owners should be able to access new updates at the same time that Nokia releases them to the carriers for testing as this is the version of the update that they are going to get anyway. This could easily be done by some kind of derivative of NSU or NCS meant for public use. Ideally all device owners should be able to update this way, if Apple can manage it so can everyone else, however the easiest starting point would be with unbranded devices as there is no need for a carrier seal of approval.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yet barring a few exceptions with carriers not releasing WP7.8 all WP updates have been delivered consistently to all devices once the rollout actually starts, at least the major ones. Despite a little slowness actually starting the rollout seems like a good update record to me.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
So what we're waiting on is if att okay the firmware? And if its not ok???? No update for att customers ? Really? Or is it bs because there's no difference in carrier and non carrier phones at least I don't see it so if Nokia was able to release it on there web site im sure it was tested by Nokia and if they released it it should be ok for all because if it were not ok Nokia would have not put the update out period !!!

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was now chatting with nokia support chat and they told me that they don't have a release date for now and that the only thing they know for now is Q3.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So what we're waiting on is if att okay the firmware? And if its not ok????

Basically, yes, if at&t are ok with firmware+OS. If it is not ok, then nobody at at&t gets the update.

However, it sounds like you are vastly underestimating the complexity of these devices. The UI you are able to "see" comprises less than 2% of the entire OS. There are some differences in the 98% that you don't see! On the other hand, this process is as much about politics and power as it is about anything technical...

It's a very inelegant process.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Basically, yes, if at&t are ok with firmware+OS. If it is not ok, then nobody at at&t gets the update.

However, it sounds like you are vastly underestimating the complexity of these devices. The UI you are able to "see" comprises less than 2% of the entire OS. There are some differences in the 98% that you don't see! On the other hand, this process is as much about politics and power as it is about anything technical...

It's a very inelegant process.
obviously the update is ok or else the would not be shipping these new device with the already installed ex.1020,925etc so guess what ? The update is good and good enough for att because if it weren't the 1020 would not have shipped especially if there was an.issue with the update

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I think we should wait until ends of september / October.... The said June, and later July, August, etc... i don't belive anymore in Santa Claus!

Nokia have always stated (officially) that the Amber update will roll out for existing Lumia devices during Q3 2013 (July, August and September). Any other dates that have been mentioned are based purely on speculation and rumour and not anything official from Nokia. We are currently half way into Q3 so just the other half to go before we are likely to see the update. Obviously, I would love to have the update sooner, rather than later but as someone who has been around smart phones (and in particular, Nokia phones) for a long time I've learned to be patient when it comes to updates.

I'm still waiting on Samsung to update my Galaxy S 3 from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 but they have put a hold on the roll-out and I won't get the update until later this year. It was supposed to be released during July/August but the last I heard was October-ish. No biggie really, just get on with my life.

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
You go wait for AT&T to okay the firmware while I and a bunch of other users are waiting for Nokia to okay the firmware (unlocked+unbranded devices).

Epic Pie

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a question. Where can you download the official ROM modified for certain region, if you've already flashed your phone with leaked Rom, which was meant for another region? I don't think it will just pop-up in the Windows Update, so...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
obviously the update is ok or else the would not be shipping these new device with the already installed ex.1020,925etc so guess what ? The update is good and good enough for att because if it weren't the 1020 would not have shipped especially if there was an.issue with the update

You are still very much underestimating the complexity of these devices.

Just because an update works well on one device and for one carrier, doesn't mean it will work correctly on another device and for another carrier. Also, just because Verizon chooses to accept a certain configuration, doesn't mean at&t will agree to do the same.

None of the things you think are obvious are anywhere close to actually beeing so.

Last edited:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You are still very much underestimating the complexity of these devices.

Just because an update works well on one device and for one carrier, doesn't mean it will work correctly on another device and for another carrier. Also, just because Verizon chooses to accept a certain configuration, doesn't mean at&t will agree to do the same.

None of the things you think are obvious are anywhere close to actually beeing so.

How very true. Last year, Nokia released the Belle update for S^3 phones and at the time I still had a Nokia N8 and so did a friend of mine. However, his network approved the update immediately but my network rejected it as "not fit for purpose". Also, my friend was on T-Mobile UK while I was on Virgin mobile UK which is actually a MVNO who use the T-Mobile network as they don't have their own. Virgin never did give a specific reason for rejecting the update which they eventually did approve afterwards. Virgin also rejected an update for a certain HTC phone for the same reasons too.

The only thing that annoys me with the update process is the fact that those of us with unbranded handsets are having to wait until after network branded handsets have had the update first. This shouldn't be happening because their is no specific network that needs to test and approve the updates for non-branded phones. They should just be getting a generic firmware for the country/region they belong to without any of that operator branding/customisation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05