FB nokiaone says GDR2/amber to release end of aug/early sept

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I have to say, this may be the one thing that drives me away from Windows Phone to the iPhone. I love my Lumia 920, just like I loved my Samsung Focus, but I had really expected Microsoft to have learned from the update problems that plagued WP7. I know that they have made some improvements, and I certainly feel that Portico was released in a timely manner, but now we're back to the same story with (what I presume to be) carrier interference. At least with Apple you know there is a yearly update cycle and it's handled directly by Apple instead of going through the hands of the provider.

Do you preffer a yearly update?

WP8 launch: Oct 2012
GDR1: Dec 2012
GDR2: Aug-Sep 2013

2 updates in a yearis worse than 1 update each 12 months? LOL.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I would prefer annual updates w/out carrier interface over open channels. The iPhone is an example of updates done right, IMHO. The frequency may be less, but you know that there is a yearly cycle, with sanctioned OTA and cable-connected methods. And yes, I do consider that superior.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You are still very much underestimating the complexity of these devices.

Just because an update works well on one device and for one carrier, doesn't mean it will work correctly on another device and for another carrier. Also, just because Verizon chooses to accept a certain configuration, doesn't mean at&t will agree to do the same.

None of the things you think are obvious are anywhere close to actually beeing so.
if there is one or more 920s out there runnig gdr2 with no problem,if Nokia has it available for download what would be the issue then? That's what kills alot of us that there are l920 s out there rocking this new update.really if there was a problem with this update we would all know by now its been out for almost two weeks not ota but it on nokias web site I just don't get that part

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
if there is one or more 920s out there runnig gdr2 with no problem,if Nokia has it available for download what would be the issue then? That's what kills alot of us that there are l920 s out there rocking this new update.really if there was a problem with this update we would all know by now its been out for almost two weeks not ota but it on nokias web site I just don't get that part
but the more I think about it I do hope your right I do hope its something very complex that way I know what all the wait was for .i do have faith in wp8
and att never has let me down so I guess I'll just have to wait

Ftruck90

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I'm assuming you are comparing Windows Phone update schedule to iOS update schedule here. Windows Phone 8 came out in October 2012 and Windows Phone 8.1 is expected in early 2014. So 14-16 months between major OS releases with two smaller releases in between with GDR1 and GDR2. iOS sees a major release every 12 months eg. iOS 6 in 2012 and iOS 7 in 2013 but it also still sees minor dot point releases similar the the GDR's of Windows Phone in between those major releases. So it isn't as if Apple is updating any less frequently than Microsoft. If anything it's more frequent.
That.

Because I'm pretty sure he meant to spell it "COO..." instead of "COU...", but his spelling makes it funnier. :)

I think you'll find it was a reference to the "Charlie Murphy: Real Hollywood Stories - Rick James" episode of Chapelle's Show.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
if there is one or more 920s out there runnig gdr2 with no problem,if Nokia has it available for download what would be the issue then?

For AT&T, or Verizon, or any provider to push out an update, it means that they're putting their "stamp of approval" on that update. Which means they're saying, "yes, we certify that this update works under all conditions on our network on your device."

They won't say that unless they've had a chance to test the update in as many real-world scenarios as they possibly can, so that when they push it out they're confident in what they're "saying".

This includes testing with some apps, with no apps, with combinations of different apps.

Just because a handful of people have flashed Nokia's ROMs onto their devices and it's working well for them, doesn't mean it will for everyone. That's the issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro