08-14-2013 07:20 PM
47 12
tools
    wp_20130813.png

Screenshot attached. How true is it?
    Last edited by hazarry; 08-13-2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: dup
    08-13-2013 08:37 AM
    I saw an article on GSMArena saying the same thing.... Now the question is, how much time the carriers will test and then release it.....
    Slenzen likes this.
    08-13-2013 08:46 AM
    angry😈
    08-13-2013 08:51 AM
    it takes approx 5 months to develop a gdr version. carriers test them for more than 2 month. wtf logic???
    08-13-2013 09:01 AM
    First who is NokiaTheOne on Facebook?? I sure hope that it comes before that, if not I'm so tempted to flash my phone right now.
    multo and Shodan_HR like this.
    08-13-2013 09:15 AM
    if that is true... i cant wait any longer, i'll rather flash my L920 to amber soon.
    08-13-2013 09:27 AM
    Not sure if that looks like an official page to be honest...
    It could mean that the update will FINISH rolling out by the end of Aug though..
    08-13-2013 09:43 AM
    This can only be carriers being a pain.

We've already seen various devices launch with the current update, and a couple of carriers seem to be releasing the update, so its not Microsoft/Nokia at fault.
    08-13-2013 10:14 AM
    if this is the case then oh well... i'm certainly not by any means in a hurry... but what if your device is unlocked like mines (920 on TMo)... i'm guessing it will still be carrier specific huh?
    08-13-2013 10:19 AM
    As I told here on forum, September! :)
    08-13-2013 10:28 AM
    I have to say, this may be the one thing that drives me away from Windows Phone to the iPhone. I love my Lumia 920, just like I loved my Samsung Focus, but I had really expected Microsoft to have learned from the update problems that plagued WP7. I know that they have made some improvements, and I certainly feel that Portico was released in a timely manner, but now we're back to the same story with (what I presume to be) carrier interference. At least with Apple you know there is a yearly update cycle and it's handled directly by Apple instead of going through the hands of the provider.
    08-13-2013 11:07 AM
    if this is the case then oh well... i'm certainly not by any means in a hurry... but what if your device is unlocked like mines (920 on TMo)... i'm guessing it will still be carrier specific huh?
    Yes, I believe so... In other words, you'll be waiting on AT&T while I'll be waiting on Rogers.
    08-13-2013 11:12 AM
    So only 1 person questions the validity of this FB account while everyone else goes on a rant against Microsoft and their carrier. Talk about selling people a bridge.....
    Noahma and Shodan_HR like this.
    08-13-2013 11:18 AM
    Yes, I believe so... In other words, you'll be waiting on AT&T while I'll be waiting on Rogers.
    ew. lol
    08-13-2013 11:32 AM
    So only 1 person questions the validity of this FB account while everyone else goes on a rant against Microsoft and their carrier. Talk about selling people a bridge.....
    I also read in a post online maybe its true and if it is now you will know why all the rants against Ms and carriers
    08-13-2013 11:33 AM
    F the carriers in general... and their COUCHES!
    08-13-2013 11:34 AM
    If you search for "gdr2 att date" on Google and open the FB link shown in the result, you will find it reasonable to blame the carrier. Well, of course, assume that what that guy said was true.
    08-13-2013 12:04 PM
    june ,...july ..august ... september O.o
    08-13-2013 12:19 PM
    We've got to get in mind that carriers want to people to buy new handsets not to keep them, so there's your logic :P
    Is it unfair? Indeed, but there's nothing we can do at the end :/
    08-13-2013 12:23 PM
    Well, we do see what appears to be a repeat of the Mango rollout queuing up again. Based on prior experience and what we actually do know, I don't think some of the opinions to be far fetched. Certainly, we're better off than Android users have been, but I see value in Apple's approach.
    08-13-2013 12:46 PM
    I'm really disappointed with Nokia. Not because is taking too long, but because they are changing this every month.... in a few months it will be changed again for 2014!
    08-13-2013 12:52 PM
    I have to say, this may be the one thing that drives me away from Windows Phone to the iPhone. I love my Lumia 920, just like I loved my Samsung Focus, but I had really expected Microsoft to have learned from the update problems that plagued WP7. I know that they have made some improvements, and I certainly feel that Portico was released in a timely manner, but now we're back to the same story with (what I presume to be) carrier interference. At least with Apple you know there is a yearly update cycle and it's handled directly by Apple instead of going through the hands of the provider.
    Come on guys get with it, no one has even given an official date of when this update is supposed to hit devices, All your ranting and raving is because you here a rumor here and there and speculate.
    08-13-2013 08:21 PM
    Come on guys get with it, no one has even given an official date of when this update is supposed to hit devices, All your ranting and raving is because you here a rumor here and there and speculate.
    Wasting your breath, update madness has taken hold and all reason is out the window.....:)
    squire777 likes this.
    08-13-2013 10:23 PM
    Well, we do see what appears to be a repeat of the Mango rollout queuing up again. Based on prior experience and what we actually do know, I don't think some of the opinions to be far fetched. Certainly, we're better off than Android users have been, but I see value in Apple's approach.
    I would argue against being better off than Android users. Official update wise - yeah, sure. However WP is kinda jammed in this awkward middle ground as far as updates go overall. iOS is super locked down but official updates are handled better than anyone else by a mile and Android is open but official updates are handled like **** however there is a plethora of custom ROMs that utilise the latest OS versions even on ageing devices that can be easily flashed due to Android's open nature. Then you get Windows Phone, which is locked down but not so much Apple as you can still flash other carriers ROMs, has terrible official updating time frames yet lacks the custom firmware aspect of Android. So essentially Windows Phone is the bottom of the totem pole in this regard.

Other manufacturers need to take a leaf out of Apple's book and tell carriers that they will handle the end to end update procedure themselves. Release an update through a central channel which can be accessed by all users simultaneously. Yes this adds to your maintenance costs because you can't offload testing to carriers but customer satisfaction would be higher. I have an unbranded 920 and surely there should at least be an immediate central upgrade channel for those types of devices as there is no carrier that needs to give the ok to the firmware. Unbranded device owners should be able to access new updates at the same time that Nokia releases them to the carriers for testing as this is the version of the update that they are going to get anyway. This could easily be done by some kind of derivative of NSU or NCS meant for public use. Ideally all device owners should be able to update this way, if Apple can manage it so can everyone else, however the easiest starting point would be with unbranded devices as there is no need for a carrier seal of approval.
    08-13-2013 10:33 PM
    Yet barring a few exceptions with carriers not releasing WP7.8 all WP updates have been delivered consistently to all devices once the rollout actually starts, at least the major ones. Despite a little slowness actually starting the rollout seems like a good update record to me.
    08-14-2013 05:26 AM
47 12