unlocking tethering on at&t nokia 1020

snou52

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
are there any articles on how to unlock the tethering feature on at&t nokia 1020s? I haven't found any and I think its ridiculous that at&t doesn't let me tether without paying an extra $20 a month for using my 3gb of data...

btw I thought they passed a ruling that if you have a capped data plan then the cell phone companies shouldn't be allowed to charge for tethering? how come companies are still doing it?

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
are there any articles on how to unlock the tethering feature on at&t nokia 1020s? I haven't found any and I think its ridiculous that at&t doesn't let me tether without paying an extra $20 a month for using my 3gb of data...

btw I thought they passed a ruling that if you have a capped data plan then the cell phone companies shouldn't be allowed to charge for tethering? how come companies are still doing it?

there are at least 5-6 active discussions about this including some with the exact same name as your post. check out: Unlocking internet tethering on Unlocked 1020?

snou52

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
so the link you provided offers a solution that doesn't work on att locked phones and now my phone won't connect to LTE, so thank you for that. I've also done a search on tether and tethering and the only relavent thread that popped up is the link you provided.

so my question still stands, is there a way to unlock tethering on an att phone? I'm not referring to unlocking my phone to use on other carriers, I'm just trying to unlock the tethering feature on an att nokia 1020.

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
so the link you provided offers a solution that doesn't work on att locked phones and now my phone won't connect to LTE, so thank you for that. I've also done a search on tether and tethering and the only relavent thread that popped up is the link you provided.

so my question still stands, is there a way to unlock tethering on an att phone? I'm not referring to unlocking my phone to use on other carriers, I'm just trying to unlock the tethering feature on an att nokia 1020.

Hi--hope you are not meaning that I have caused LTE to not work on your phone because I linked you to an active discussion with questions about tethering... I am going to assume that I misunderstood this as lost in translation. I would say that one consistent theme from all of these threads is that if you bought the ATT phone and sim unlocked it and still using it on ATT, it will not tether without that plan in place. OThers have made this work on t--mobile using a series of solutions that include blocking LTE and only using 3G and then reactivating this by turning off the phone when you are done sharing. I am still unsure as to whether if I buy an unlocked unbranded phone, it will all tethering on ATT. but that is non-sequitur for you since you have an ATT phone.
I would say that without jailbreaking your phone, you might be out of luck for this. In terms of LTE, not working...try soft reset and then hard reset to get this back to working.
All best!!

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I think that once you set the APN settings with Access Point you are going to essentially trigger the settings that monitor your ability to tether. I have not been able to get internet sharing working on my Lumia 928 or Lumia 620 on AT&T or T-Mobile

giffis

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Class action lawsuit against this policy is needed. What in the world restrict you, how to use the data you paid for. You paid it. It is ur choice how to use it. Even it should allow you to donate it like freedom pop.

Siddhartha Zuga

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I want to tell u how to unlock Lumia 1020 AT&T sharing internet, the only thing u need to do is

1.- You need to configure ur Nokia Lumia 1020 AT&T in USA COUNTRY, and this is in Settings, Language+Country and there in Contry Select UNITED STATES, and behind u will see a bottom that says: Needs to Restart, u will need to restart it.

2.- Go to Market and search this app: access point
access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

3.- You can install app froms USA, like Pandora too.

4.- When finished now u can change your country ( for example, im from Mexico) and restart again (if ur from USA dont do this step)

5.- At last u need to go SETTINGS and search ACCESS POINT (Punto de acceso en espanol) and u need to configure ur DATA SETTINGs and MMS settings for ur operator (APN TELCEL, ROGERS, T-Mobile, etc..)

6.- When u finished u need to ACTIVATE that profile

7.- At last the only thing u need to do is to go to Tethered Wifi or Conexion Compartida and activate it, this is a thing u need to see:

When u activate Tethered, i will see how many persons can connect to ur Nokia Lumia 1020, if says 5 persons, u hav AT&T locked and u will not share ur internet, BUT if says 8 persons, congratulations!! u unlocked tethered connection!!!

And thats all! i do it with my Nokia Lumia 1020 At&t and im from Monterrey and works!!!

if u need help just send me an email: sidemzuga@hotmail.com

See ya!

Totalfixation

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi! I want to tell u how to unlock Lumia 1020 AT&T sharing internet, the only thing u need to do is

1.- You need to configure ur Nokia Lumia 1020 AT&T in USA COUNTRY, and this is in Settings, Language+Country and there in Contry Select UNITED STATES, and behind u will see a bottom that says: Needs to Restart, u will need to restart it.

2.- Go to Market and search this app: access point
access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

3.- You can install app froms USA, like Pandora too.

4.- When finished now u can change your country ( for example, im from Mexico) and restart again (if ur from USA dont do this step)

5.- At last u need to go SETTINGS and search ACCESS POINT (Punto de acceso en espanol) and u need to configure ur DATA SETTINGs and MMS settings for ur operator (APN TELCEL, ROGERS, T-Mobile, etc..)

6.- When u finished u need to ACTIVATE that profile

7.- At last the only thing u need to do is to go to Tethered Wifi or Conexion Compartida and activate it, this is a thing u need to see:

When u activate Tethered, i will see how many persons can connect to ur Nokia Lumia 1020, if says 5 persons, u hav AT&T locked and u will not share ur internet, BUT if says 8 persons, congratulations!! u unlocked tethered connection!!!

And thats all! i do it with my Nokia Lumia 1020 At&t and im from Monterrey and works!!!

if u need help just send me an email: sidemzuga@hotmail.com

See ya!

I followed your method, it says i can share up to 8 but then it says at the end i cannot share connection

Josephcarassojunior

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
A lot has been said about this issue, but I thought I should share my experience as it is still very much a problem, particularly as some carrier specific variants do not allow for manual setting of APNs outside the Access Point app. I recently bought an unlocked 64 gb 1020 from Vivo Brazil (telefonica) and tethering was not working. I followed every single trick and work around in the various threads I found - several hard resets, removed and re installed Access Point several times with different SIMs and without a SIM, tried the keyboard language and field mode tricks. Nothing worked. Interestingly, after removing Access Point, booting the phone with one of my SIMs, my APNs got configured automatically (maybe remotely by the carrier, or through the SIM itself, I do not know). Tethering still did not work at that point. Then I reinstalled Access Point, downloaded the French keyboard language, and postponed the installation. A few hours later I installed it. And boom! Tethering worked! And still does. So my take aways are: 1- the issue seems to have multiple causes. Thus different work arounds working or not with different phones. If nothing works, keep trying. Persistence is key. 2. Windows still has a way to go in finding a better balance between client experience, security (enterprise and individual clients) and how the OS works for other stakeholders such as carriers, developer, virtual shops, etc. A lot of progress has been made, and I actually like windows mobile (and absolutely love the 1020), but we having to spend significant amount of time - in my case 3 days - trying to discover work arounds for things that should simply work in the first place, is completely unacceptable. Client experience needs to be at par with, or better than Android, if windows mobile has the ambition to be more than a niche ecosystem.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss