Questions from an iPhone diehard

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't use a mac so I can't answer that specific point but I do have a iP4 stocked in my drawer that I'd take out once in a while to check out the app store.

I can say I can never go back to iOS. Despite some big labels missing from WP, the 3rd party apps do just fine. Recently released Instagram client (6tag) is even better than the original IMO.
Most important thing is, the UI experience blows everything out of the water. That alone satisfies me.

Only gripe is updates are a bit slow (since they announce it so early) and there are still some minor bugs here and there that should've been fixed a LONG time ago but overall the 920 I own now is the best smartphone I've ever used. I can imagine 1020 will be great.

One more thing, I probably have more apps installed on my WP device more than I ever had with iP4. iOS has a lot of apps but aside from all the big brand names, most of them are duplicates.
If you can live with some bugs and have a bit of patience (with Microsoft..) WP wont' disappoint. Having been a iPhone user (only 1 generation) I can't help but feel bored with iOS.

JustlMe

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
How easy is it to transfer photos to a Mac via USB? I'm guessing most WP users also use Windows-powered PCs, but that's a switch I'll probably never make. A few of the reviews I read mentioned that the Mac desktop software for the WP doesn't provide an easy way to transfer full res photos to the computer, and since USB transferring appears to be the only way to get the full res pictures, that's obviously a sticking point if true. Anyone have experience with this?

As a mac user you can use Nokia Photo Transfer for Mac Support, Updates, Downloads and User Guides - Nokia - USA, works seamlessly and i can confirm it does transfer hi res photos from my L1020

How good are the social networking apps, and how well do they interact with the rest of the phone? I'm not someone uses a gazillion apps, so the more limited offerings on WP aren't a major issue for me. But I do use Facebook and Twitter somewhat frequently, and I particularly like how the iPhone lets me share content through these apps directly from the phone's other native apps (like the camera roll or the web browser). I haven't found too much info on how the WP stacks up to the iPhone in this regard. Relatedly, while I'm not a big Instagram user and I assume the WP will get an official app before long, are the third-party Instagram clients as bad as people say?
Well the first thing i did with my phone was to syc it with facebook, it pulled all my friends and their information to my contacts list. Theres this neat app called peoples on the phone, where the live tiles will cycle through your contacts pictures. From this app you can also directly write on the wall on their fb page,check out new posts (FB and twitter).
The facebook app and twitter app does its job, theres nothing i cant do from my iphone5's that i can do on my l1020. ( well nothing i cant do yet ~). You can definitely share pictures from your album or photo gallery, I can share websites from IE, i can also share specific images from IE. For instagram im trying out 6tag, not a heavy instagram user but i can definitely say, it can upload, comment, like.

How quickly do you get used to the size? I'm specifically asking recent iPhone converts. I really don't like the idea of large phones and wish they weren't so trendy, but I'm resigned that I'll probably have to get used to it. I wish the iPhone 5 didn't have the extra length, but it's still just a modest bump from what I have now, whereas the 1020 looks huge to my eyes. If you switched from the iPhone, how bulky did it feel in your pockets? How much harder is it to type on the 1020, assuming you have normal-sized hands?
I cant help you here~ i moved from an Iphone 5 and i can say i honestly expected l1020 to be bigger from all the reviews i read about it xD. it was honestly not bulky for me. i haven't had it in my pockets long enough to comment on this yet :amaze:. I can say i dont have big hands or long fingers, but i can type using one hand easily on my l1020.

Hope this helps!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Answer from a WP diehard.

Upgrade to the iphone 5S when it arrives next month and buy a DSLR for the pictures.

You will be disappointed with the shortcomings of WP and want to switch back.

In your opinion. I switched from an iPhone 5, and before that a 3GS. It's all about personal experience. Maybe you should list why you don't think they'd like the platform and let them be the judge

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
And the whole notification thing, a lot of WP users use their homescreen to be their notification center. The live tiles show new items in case you miss your toast notifications. Check out the Windows Phone 8 section and look for the topic "Post Your Homescreen" and you'll see the way that users have their information set up. Personally, I prefer it this way. I REALLY hated with iOS (and Android for that matter) that there were three different places to clear out a notification. I saw it on my notification shade, the icons, and sometimes the lockscreen. That's a lot. I, personally, don't need multiple places to tell me I have something to look at, especially if I don't always care to have that information.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Notifications are the same as on iOS (the banner)
Keyboard is getting used to, I was an iPhone user and I got over it after about 2 weeks.
At first you get a little "culture shocked" and I had moments I thought about switching back.
That time is now over, I got used to wp8 and I love it.

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
... The phone also didn't feel very, er, mature. I know it's superficial, but I'm an attorney, and I want a phone that looks professional when I'm with clients and colleagues. While the quirkiness of the phone's build is sort of charming, it also made the phone feel a little bit toyish. (I have similar problems with several Android phones, including the Galaxy.) ...

Interesting point. I think this could be an aspect of the way the phone is being marketed as well. The one thing that occurs to me is that if Nokia had released the premium leather case we all saw before the phone's release that it might have made the phone more appealing to professionals who feel they need to maintain a certain image with clients. Put that case on the 1020 with the camera sensor cover and I doubt that it looks like a "toy" to anyone. Too bad it isn't available yet so we can find out. Image is in the eye of the beholder but that case would change the image the phone presents IMO.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate each device and mobile operating system for what they are and stop comparing. It's clear that between the active development in Android, BlackBerry, iOS and Windows Phone that each company has forged a path all their own. Each has their own pros and cons, depending on what you ultimately use your phone for, so in the end you really shouldn't poll the public until you have had a chance to test devices on your own. Otherwise you leave room for bias from other people influence your decesion.

My Lumia 1020 doesn't force close, randomly reboot, etc. It just works, and that alone is reason enough to keep it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos