How much better is a 920 than an 810?

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
So many recommendations, I'm even more confused than when I started. Lol this is probably my 4th post about trying to find the ideal windows phone.
This is what I want
  • Trademark Nokia Camera(At least 8MP With Flash & Front Camera)
  • T-mobile/Simple Mobile Compatible
  • At least 1GHZ Processor
  • 1GB Ram(Radar is too slow opening apps)
  • Windows 8
  • At least 16gb of total storage(I have no issues with micro sd)
  • (Preferably wireless charging)

This is what I have
  • Exactly $200
  • HTC Radar 4G(The phone I am using now)

Of course I will lose some features, but hopefully the gain outweighs the loss.
Thanks Everyone

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So many recommendations, I'm even more confused than when I started. Lol this is probably my 4th post about trying to find the ideal windows phone.
This is what I want
  • Trademark Nokia Camera(At least 8MP With Flash & Front Camera)
  • T-mobile/Simple Mobile Compatible
  • At least 1GHZ Processor
  • 1GB Ram(Radar is too slow opening apps)
  • Windows 8
  • At least 16gb of total storage(I have no issues with micro sd)
  • (Preferably wireless charging)

This is what I have
  • Exactly $200
  • HTC Radar 4G(The phone I am using now)

Of course I will lose some features, but hopefully the gain outweighs the loss.
Thanks Everyone

Given everything you have outlined above, I definitely think your best option is the 810. Even though it was EOL'd, it IS a quality phone that has the features you want. Hopefully it will even get the GDR2/Amber updates officially. Good luck!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
  • trademark nokia camera(at least 8mp with flash & front camera)
  • 1gb ram(radar is too slow opening apps)

I'm going to continue to beat the drum for the 720 (which is getting the Amber update), but agree that otherwise the 810 is the way to go.

Don't get too hung up on camera MP count. These days, that number is great for marketing, but doesn't really say much about picture quality. The L720 has a 6.7MP sensor instead of an 8MP sensor like the L820, but its pictures are better, even more so in low light. The L720 also has a front facing camera and it accepts micro SD cards. I've seen it on ebay for $280. This review might interest you.

Also, the 1GB of RAM will do absolutely nothing to improve app load times. Nothing. What will make a difference is a faster CPU. All WP8 devices load apps a lot faster than WP7 devices, because all of them have much faster CPUs, even the L520. The L820 loads apps slightly faster than the L720 (again due to the faster CPU), but not by much.

I think the L720 is the best budget device in Nokia's linup. I think it hits all your requirements that matter. The L520 is also a great device considering the rock bottom price, but it doesn't meet all your requirements.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Well the ram will help with speed and opening of applications when I have multiple open, but yes the dual core will take away most of that. Im not a fan of the 720 reviews as much as I am of the others. Im split between the 810, 820, and saving up a bit for the 920.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well the ram will help with speed and opening of applications when I have multiple open, but yes the dual core will take away most of that. Im not a fan of the 720 reviews as much as I am of the others. Im split between the 810, 820, and saving up a bit for the 920.

No. RAM capacity really will not help with the speed of opening applications. You are misinformed.

Assuming you're the type of person that never closes apps (recommended on WP), scenarios exist where more RAM will increase the likelihood of the OS being able to switch you back to a previously opened app, instead of having to re-load it from storage. In those scenarios the perceived performance improvement comes from the OS' ability to skip app loading entirely. Maybe that is what you are thinking of? Anyway, if the OS can't skip app loading, then the duration of that process is entirely unaffected by RAM capacity.

I'll stop there, as this isn't helping you make your purchasing decision. If the L720 isn't for you, I'd also go for the L810, like metalchick mentioned.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
No. RAM capacity really will not help with the speed of opening applications. You are misinformed.

Assuming you're the type of person that never closes apps (recommended on WP), scenarios exist where more RAM will increase the likelihood of the OS being able to switch you back to a previously opened app, instead of having to re-load it from storage. In those scenarios the perceived performance improvement comes from the OS' ability to skip app loading entirely. Maybe that is what you are thinking of? Anyway, if the OS can't skip app loading, then the duration of that process is entirely unaffected by RAM capacity.

I'll stop there, as this isn't helping you make your purchasing decision. If the L720 isn't for you, I'd also go for the L810, like metalchick mentioned.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant sorry for the confusion. I'm still deciding between the 810 and 820. I could also sell my radar and get enough money for the 920, but I wouldn't really have much left in terms of buying a case or a wireless charging pad. Decisions....desicions....desicions....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss