15th August - 30th September for all Lumias with WP8 to get updated!

nautanki_saala

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Latest news is that the Nokia Amber update will be arriving late August/Early September. Top priority will be given to the Nokia Lumia 920 which will receive the update first and will slowly spread to other Lumia devices with Windows 8.

Source 1 : GSMArena

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_amber_update_coming_in_late_august_early_september-news-6566.php

Many other sources available type 'Nokia Amber' in Google News.

News date is 15th August 2013 so its latest.

Many are saying India is going to receive the Amber update today evening and some Nokia Care official has confirmed the same. Well don't believe on employees most employees in India are straight from Bihar and they keep bluffing to avoid queries. Further I really doubt an Asian country to receive the update first leaving all the developed countries behind.

Yes if lucky India may receive the update today (i hope we get it today really) but if not today then 2-3 weeks more.
Fingers Crossed for today!

Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 device owners can manually flash the Leaked Amber ROM if they are unable to wait any more. Google for the same. However you will lose all date it will be a fresh installation.

- Nokia Lumia 820.

Last edited:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nokia Amber Update Coming Late August/Early September with Top Priotity to Nokia Lumia 920

Still just speculation from GSMArena though in my humble opinion. In fact, GDR2/Amber is being released tomorrow for the 920 on the Australian network Telstra, and that has been announced officially by Telstra.

So, if they can start rolling out the update tomorrow then there is no reason why other networks/regions can't follow suit and roll out the update now.

nautanki_saala

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nokia Amber Update Coming Late August/Early September with Top Priotity to Nokia Lumia 920

Still just speculation from GSMArena though in my humble opinion. In fact, GDR2/Amber is being released tomorrow for the 920 on the Australian network Telstra, and that has been announced officially by Telstra.

So, if they can start rolling out the update tomorrow then there is no reason why other networks/regions can't follow suit and roll out the update now.

Even I heard that and I got the same thought in mind that if telstra is getting the update tomorrow then why not the unlocked unbranded ones! But they also might be delaying to prevent server crash. If they release it for the whole world on the same day/week then there might be a server crash since everyone will be trying to grab the update.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

Even I heard that and I got the same thought in mind that if telstra is getting the update tomorrow then why not the unlocked unbranded ones! But they also might be delaying to prevent server crash. If they release it for the whole world on the same day/week then there might be a server crash since everyone will be trying to grab the update.

Agreed. Unless they have the worlds largest servers, releasing the update for all at the same time would be a chaotic mess. Honestly though, shouldn't unbranded devices get the updates before the carrier branded ones? This is the most annoying thing about my experience with Windows Phone and its update process. It seems that MS/Nokia are deliberately holding back on updating unbranded handsets in favour of the network branded units.

nautanki_saala

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. Unless they have the worlds largest servers, releasing the update for all at the same time would be a chaotic mess. Honestly though, shouldn't unbranded devices get the updates before the carrier branded ones? This is the most annoying thing about my experience with Windows Phone and its update process. It seems that MS/Nokia are deliberately holding back on updating unbranded handsets in favour of the network branded units.

Obviously since Nokia is preparing the update, the unbranded once which have been bought from Nokia itself should be getting the update first directly from Nokia. But Nokia is busy in sending the update to different network brands maybe some tie-up or something to boost their sales. Fair enough since they are on the way of getting bankrupt and so are trying to get extra revenue through each possible source :p

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Honestly though, shouldn't unbranded devices get the updates before the carrier branded ones?

Surely an unbranded phone has to be guarantee'd to work on any network, therefore if Nokia have any problems on any networks, then they have to wait for all problems on all networks to be fixed.

In theory Nokia could update the phones with a vanilla update (and a caveat), and then the full fix later, but then you can guarantee loads of impatient people who ignore the caveat, have issues with their phones, and create loads of noise all around the internet, and bug Nokia customer services.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

Obviously since Nokia is preparing the update, the unbranded once which have been bought from Nokia itself should be getting the update first directly from Nokia. But Nokia is busy in sending the update to different network brands maybe some tie-up or something to boost their sales. Fair enough since they are on the way of getting bankrupt and so are trying to get extra revenue through each possible source :p

That's the most likely reason for the network branded handsets getting the update first. Keeping the networks happy ensures that they will promote Lumia phones which can only help with sales. If that's what's needed to ensure Nokia's success then fair enough I suppose. Those with unbranded handsets will get their updates eventually.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

Surely an unbranded phone has to be guarantee'd to work on any network, therefore if Nokia have any problems on any networks, then they have to wait for all problems on all networks to be fixed.

In theory Nokia could update the phones with a vanilla update (and a caveat), and then the full fix later, but then you can guarantee loads of impatient people who ignore the caveat, have issues with their phones, and create loads of noise all around the internet, and bug Nokia customer services.

No mate, it doesn't work quite like that. Nokia/MS create the updates as a generic piece of software (which could be installed as a working update on unbranded phones and be fully functional without issues) which then gets passed onto the networks for them to add their customisations/branding and for them to test the update for any issues/bugs etc. Once they are satisfied with the update and have added their bits and bobs they then pass it back to Nokia/MS who then make it available to the end user as an OTA update.

In the past it was the unbranded handsets that received the updates first whilst the network branded phones had to wait for their respective networks to test and approve the update. This is still the case with Samsung/Android where I will get any updates for my unbranded S 3 before network branded S 3's.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Just checked for the UK the following URL -

Availability in Europe - Nokia

and found that it's not even correct for the previous update which I have had for months. It's showing -

1232.5957.1308.00xx Coming soon

which is completely wrong! They really need to get their act together.

siddharthmenon

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I have Lumia 920 developer device. Every 1hr I got and check for any OTA update.
I am avoiding flashing because I wanted to retain game data of Asphalt 7 :p

Can someone advise where can I find the expected eta from here

RM-821_eu_euro1_425
Mobile operator : 000-88

Cheers.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Just checked for the UK the following URL -

Availability in Europe - Nokia

and found that it's not even correct for the previous update which I have had for months. It's showing -

1232.5957.1308.00xx Coming soon

which is completely wrong! They really need to get their act together.

What should it say then for your latest (current) version? The list correctly shows my current firmware version for the country variant 920

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo