928 Amber - FM Radio missing?

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I want to believe you, I really do but, unless you can back it up with a source for your information, it's just more rumor.

The funny thing about it, if that is the case, it goes out the service to get fixed because, I will be getting a full refund for this phone or a FM radio on it.

Well, in the article I linked,

it says

FM radio returns to Windows Phone with the GDR2 update. As on Windows Phone 7 devices, the FM radio is accessed via the Music+Videos hub. Do note that FM radio is not available on all phones as it requires a connection between the FM radio chipset and the 3.5mm audio jack so that headset / headphones can act as an aerial. Our feature, FM radio return to Windows Phone 8 in GDR2, has the full run down on this addition.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have called Verizon and got lame excuse after lame excuse from the first tier help people.....they just answering questions from scripts on a screen.
asked again and again for next level up, they gave me the same answer and then disconnected.

when Nokia route and left 2 messages, left feedback (not positive by any means). Hearing nothing from them so far.

I gut tells me this was a design decision by Verizon as a way to force users to use the data plan....and untill proven otherwise, thats what I am sticking with.
Why else would they not want to include this? Cannot tell me its interferance with LTE signal when so many other phones with LTE have it enabled.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I gut tells me this was a design decision by Verizon as a way to force users to use the data plan....and untill proven otherwise, thats what I am sticking with.
Why else would they not want to include this? Cannot tell me its interferance with LTE signal when so many other phones with LTE have it enabled.

Who knows why they decided to not connect the chip to the headphone jack, but I doubt it's a conspiracy to get the 5 people who actually would use it to use more data.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have called Verizon and got lame excuse after lame excuse from the first tier help people.....they just answering questions from scripts on a screen.
asked again and again for next level up, they gave me the same answer and then disconnected.

when Nokia route and left 2 messages, left feedback (not positive by any means). Hearing nothing from them so far.

I called last night and gave the lady a hard time about I called as I was told I would get a call back in 24-48 hours and never did.. I also said there was a lot of people upset about this lack of a FM radio on a high end device after everything said it was going to come with one (yea see my other posts). I also said I picked up this phone based on a FM radio was coming and as a high end model, I expected it to come.

She called Nokia, she got put on hold for a while and said she would call me back. About a 1/2 hour to 45min, she called back, she did not say it was not possable but, it could be coming later as a update, she put my name/number on the feature request list, if the feature comes, I will get a call (if it does, I am sure I will know about it before I get a call).

Take that with a grain of salt but, after her talking to Nokia, she did not tell me that the phone didn't support it OR was missing a "cable" and I didn't get the feeling from her that it was impossable.

As aways, it's more rumor but, that is what I was told and what I came back with.

For what ever it means from a Verizon rep...we all know how that goes..

PS, I called Nokia last week, I was TOLD I would get a call back within 48-96 hours (told them I wanted a refund because of the lack of FM radio) still waiting for a call, I guess that is my call tonight.

Well, in the article I linked,

it says

yea, you linked it a site where someone put up that info. When it comes directly from Nokia (not a scripted twitter reply) or Verizon, Then I will believe it, till then, it's more rumor..

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
"Better explanation"? I think you're missing the point - people want to *do* something to resolve their unhappiness, one way or another, and the first question that needs to be asked is whether or not the hardware is capable *as is*. If the answer is "yes," there are certain actions that can be taken. If the answer is "no," then it's a completely different ball game. Your "explanation," severely limits options... and it's based only on speculation that can be independently confirmed - that's crazy.

WhyFi, my apologies if your point wasn't clear to me, but from where I sit, you seem to be overlooking what Nokia has said:

"The Nokia Lumia 928 does not have the hardware required for FMradio..." (emphasis added by me)

"Hardware" being the operative word. Based on that stance there is no available remedy for lack of FM short of Nokia recalling the phones and fixing them (we both know that is not going to happen). We do know the device DOES have the IC to receive FM radio so what other "hardware" explanation could there be other than the fact it is not connected to the headphone jack (connectors are hardware no)? THAT was my entire point. For want of a wire (connection) between the radio and the headset the device has been crippled needlessly. The device is sealed, no user serviceable parts... ZERO.

You seem like a smart guy, it doesn't take an IQ of 140 to connect these dots.

Last edited:

Yeahha

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Nokia's latest explanation to me yesterday on the phone, they are saying FM is in all Amber FW,and it's up to the device to see whether or not it is capable of FM playback and the carriers are not blocking or denying the phones of anything.

So if I were to say follow the directions below to disassemble my phone could I connect the receiver to the 3.5 jack and get FM radio?

Would be quite amazing if all it took was attaching them...not that I will actually try...just seems odd that Nokia is relying on the phone to decide if it will have the radio or not...

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
So if I were to say follow the directions below to disassemble my phone could I connect the receiver to the 3.5 jack and get FM radio?
Would be quite amazing if all it took was attaching them...not that I will actually try...just seems odd that Nokia is relying on the phone to decide if it will have the radio or not...

I know someone who repairs these phones. I will inquire.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Lumia 928 Disassembly Steps - YouTube

That's great and all, If that could be done, we also need the firmware to enable it and the software on the device. I dont think it's one of those things where once a cable is attached it just appears. This is disabled at the firmware level and then the GDR2 update needs to have the cab to install the feature.

The problem is, no one has figured out how to install a *MANUAL* update/Cab to WP8 yet (and I I think they are close but, not there yet).

You would need someone at Nokia, who would release a Unoffical update and the way that Microsoft updates and roms need to be signed, I would not count on that one happening.

I hate to be the party pooper but, the truth is, with out a signed offical update enabling the FM radio, it wont work.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I have been studing the hacking side of WP8 and that is what the experts have run into..

PS, I would love to be wrong and a 1/2 hour project could get me FM radio, I would try it..

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Not that it is completely related, but I have been considering the 928 and possibly another android phone. Looking through the HTC One forum on androidcentral, it appears that the HTC One does not have FM Radio, even though every other carrier (ATT, Sprint, TMobile) all have the option on their versions of the One.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is a huge piece of evidence for the blame game. Down with Verizon!

If you have a 928, CALL VERIZON and give them a hard time, call their tech support line (look back a page I put the direct number). If this **IS** Verizon's fault, then if people keep calling, they could do something about it.

Romeo Mendoza

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ive just updated my Lumia 920. I thought the radio wasnt there thats how came across this post searching for answers.
So I looked even further on my apps in my Lumia and found out that the Radio App is inside the MUSIC + VIDEO app. Look it up there. For sure its in there.

Romeo Mendoza

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ive just updated my Lumia 920. I thought the radio wasnt there thats how came across this post searching for answers.
So I looked even further on my apps in my Lumia and found out that the Radio App is inside the MUSIC + VIDEO app. Look it up there. For sure its in there.

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
:smile:

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site

writey.gif

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Its not part of 928 or at least not enabled in GDR2, period.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion