10-15-2013 10:05 AM
487 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Just a slightly off topic question: if I unlock my device (not through flashing) will behave like a CV phone? In regards to updates as well.
    08-30-2013 01:52 PM
    Updates seem to come to F/W on the phone at the time. So if you flashed CV, next update to that CV should be highlighted on your phone. However, if your original F/W gets an update before that, that one will be highlighted too.
    At least that what I hope. I seem to of flashed Euro Dev F/W and am waiting to see if the EE one is offered to this phone when it's released.
    08-30-2013 02:32 PM
    @mookhan
    Unlocking of phones goes by IMEI number so a different ROM won't change that. I got mine unlocked this week and still use my T-mobile SIM in it. Was gonna go to Three but the reception around here where I live is terrible.
    Thanks for the info. Its useful to know.
    I'll probably wait before embarking on changing the ROM. Hopefully I haven't got long before EE releases the update.
    08-30-2013 04:08 PM
    Sick of waiting for EE.... Should have called themselves Nothing Nowhere because we get **** all... They're far too slow and a pack of idiots. Anybody know anything about when this GDR2/Amber for 920 is getting released? By the end of August, Nokia said... Why hasn't EE delivered?? Morons.
    08-30-2013 04:49 PM
    Sick of waiting for EE.... Should have called themselves Nothing Nowhere because we get **** all... They're far too slow and a pack of idiots. Anybody know anything about when this GDR2/Amber for 920 is getting released? By the end of August, Nokia said... Why hasn't EE delivered?? Morons.
    Nokia confirmed everyone will receive the update by the end of September. However im seriously considering changing the ROM on mine to the UK country variant. The downside of that it invalidates the warranty on the handset.
    08-30-2013 05:34 PM
    EE are a ******* joke. No doubt we will be waiting until the end of September for this update.
    mookhan likes this.
    08-30-2013 06:06 PM
    Nokia confirmed everyone will receive the update by the end of September. However im seriously considering changing the ROM on mine to the UK country variant. The downside of that it invalidates the warranty on the handset.
    08-30-2013 06:45 PM
    hold down on the frequency and then select switch speaker. Hope that helps :)
    Thanks, mate.

WP8 is inconsistent when it comes to providing options to users.
    08-30-2013 08:18 PM
    Can someone explain to me why putting a different ROM would invalidate warranty if you revert back to your original? I ask because I have flashed my device numerous time via NSU retail and when my device have problems, I took it to a care centre where they just reflashed again, no questions asked?
    08-31-2013 02:19 AM
    Can someone explain to me why putting a different ROM would invalidate warranty if you revert back to your original? I ask because I have flashed my device numerous time via NSU retail and when my device have problems, I took it to a care centre where they just reflashed again, no questions asked?
    I going on what I was told. If it doesn't thats great. I suspect it only invalidates if I brick the handset Anyway this week I'll look into flashing the ROM to the UK country variant ROM. That way I have to don't wait operator approvals for new updates.
    Last edited by mookhan; 08-31-2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: more info
    08-31-2013 03:49 AM
    Just to update you all. I have decided to reflash my handset with the GB country variant ROM. Im happily updated to Amber :P
    If needs be I can easily move back to the EE ROM if I need to claim on the warranty.
    08-31-2013 07:06 PM
    One bug I'm beginning to notice is that when I hit a link from a webpage that open a video to Youtube, you can't control the volume in the player anymore. Though the numbers change, the level of sound stays the same even down to Zero. Anyone else notice that? On the plus side, I'm getting regular 24hr updates, around 11pm, the time of my reinstall, of apps which is good.

Edit: This seems to only happen when the Glance/Peek screen is enabled.
    Last edited by greycounciller; 09-01-2013 at 02:55 AM.
    08-31-2013 10:56 PM
    EE - pillocks. Get the update out! - there is simply no excuse for this, and they don't learn their lessons. If it was iPhone customers would be shouting and screaming for the update, it is only because Lumia is less popular we get this substandard treatment.
    KKRLessey likes this.
    09-01-2013 08:01 AM
    Just to update you all. I have decided to reflash my handset with the GB country variant ROM. Im happily updated to Amber :P
    If needs be I can easily move back to the EE ROM if I need to claim on the warranty.
    Can you link me the GB-CV ROM please ?
    09-01-2013 09:39 AM
    I've been watching the Nokia webpage and it looks like Vodaphone win this contest, followed by the country variant, O2 and 3, with EE having not even approved the update yet on the 920 as of today.

This information will definitely influence my decision next time I sign a contract.
    KKRLessey likes this.
    09-01-2013 09:59 AM
    I've been watching the Nokia webpage and it looks like Vodaphone win this contest, followed by the country variant, O2 and 3, with EE having not even approved the update yet on the 920 as of today.

This information will definitely influence my decision next time I sign a contract.
    It really isn't worth putting that much thought into it. The order of release changes with every software release.
    Nickkk101 likes this.
    09-01-2013 11:34 AM
    Cant understand the paranoia regarding some of those that haven't received the latest update yet.......... it will come when its been tested and ready for release by the relevant provider .........be patient!
    Momchil Ignatov and Nickkk101 like this.
    09-01-2013 12:16 PM
    there are problems with my phone and I am hoping the FW update will fix them. Given the update has been released all across the US and in many European countries without issue it is unlikely EE phones will have any problems too. They are simply being lazy.
    09-01-2013 02:24 PM
    there are problems with my phone and I am hoping the FW update will fix them. Given the update has been released all across the US and in many European countries without issue it is unlikely EE phones will have any problems too. They are simply being lazy.
    Its too easy and incorrect to call them lazy, Idleness isn't the issue here. We are in the same boat as our brothers and sisters on AT&T over in the USA. To my knowledge, they're still waiting right? What is annoying people is the lack of info about this update from EE when they are asked repeatedly about it's whereabouts-particularly in the face of incessant banal advertising, endless claims about their speed, AND because we on Lumia's paid a hefty premium to get the phones 'first' on 4G. EE certainly could (and should) have had the market advantage by working harder to get this particular update out first, but lets be really honest here, we cannot ignore the fact that we UK WP owners on EE are going to be a relatively small crowd.
    It makes sense to me that perhaps their resources are pooled to serve the competition-however right or wrong that may seem to us. They are in the money making business, they are NOT Nokia who have a vested interest in our particular handsets. That is only my opinion and I am not excusing EE here, I'm just as pissed off as every other EE Lumia owner that we are seemingly the last currently- but according to the Nokia roll-out site, we are by far the last on the planet let alone Europe to receive it. We should retain some perspective on this one. There are still 4 weeks to honor Nokia's commitment to roll out Amber/GDR2 before the end of September. However much we don't like it, no one is 'late' yet.
    09-01-2013 04:28 PM
    maybe all EE users should contact them asking wtf the update isn't out yet.
    09-01-2013 04:46 PM
    maybe all EE users should contact them asking wtf the update isn't out yet.
    Believe me, we already are. We all get the same response, sometimes word for word. It wont speed it up any. Like i said above, idleness on their part isn't the problem here. There will be a legitimate reason-be it resources/bug fixing/whatever- that dictates we are currently the last carrier to get it but they are sadly not obligated to tell us why. We are a very small portion of their some 27million customers. It stinks but, there's not much we can do. You sign that contract willingly, and frankly we all should know these situations can arise-particularly as WP8 users!! It might not be something we like to think of as we un-box that new handset, but as savvy tech enthusiasts we have to accept this home truth if we are being honest with ourselves.
    09-01-2013 05:02 PM
    I don't know why everyone is saying be patient! This is an important update to fix/help the other storage problem and Xbox music. I have 16-17GB lost! Hurry up EE
    09-01-2013 05:10 PM
    I don't know why everyone is saying be patient! This is an important update to fix/help the other storage problem and Xbox music. I have 16-17GB lost! Hurry up EE
    It is important to us yes, but perhaps it is MS who should shoulder the blame there-creating the Other Storage issue in the first place.
    I'm anxious to get it too but EE's remit here is to deliver it safely- and they still have another 4 weeks to do so. If this was November then, fine, this degree of impatience would be justified. EE are not explicitly concerned with specific improvements to this particular OS that GDR2 brings, however important they may be to you or I. That s a Nokia/Microsoft concern. Ultimately it may be something that guides your next decision come contract time but, this is not a deal breaker for me. EE have their faults but they can't be criticized fairly for not providing something based on your or my timescale or because we have a personal view on what is acceptable. There is still time for them to fulfill their end of the bargain and they are entitled to organise that however they want. If it really meant that much to you, then you buy your phone outright and do it that way- i couldn't do that so...here we are today. Without getting to political about it all, at the end of the day we make a deal with these companies at point of purchase and its naive to think the odds are stacked in our favour at any point.

I'm fairly new to smartphones compared to some here but honestly in the history of phone updates I've heard about with Andriod or IOS...this is not a crisis, nor is it something to panic about sorry.
    09-01-2013 06:08 PM
    Can you link me the GB-CV ROM please ?
    I used Navifirm Plus download the GB-CV ROM. Yeah I know it costs a few pounds to purchase. But it gives access to current and previous firmware for all Nokia handsets.
    The I used Nokia Care Suite to flash the device. One downside to reflashing direct to Amber is you lose Google Mail EAS setup. You have to use IMAP. I wasn't a fan of that so reflashed my handset to the GB-CV ROM prior to Amber. Then set up my Gmail account on the phone and then force the phone to do a software update to Amber. That way I still retain Google Mail EAS setup and dont have use IMAP.
    Last edited by mookhan; 09-02-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    09-02-2013 03:04 AM
    I'm literally having only 1 issue with the EE firmware update through Nokia Software Update for Retail - every time I restart the phone, the volume resets to 13 (I like it on 20). Anyone found a way to overcome this?

Edit:

I contacted Nokia support directly and they say this is by design:

Rose (9:33:58)

I have checked that this will be a normal behaviour of phone, Muessig. This is to comply with European audio limitation, which is mandatory in new devices in EU in 2013, to avoid the possible damage of ear hearing. You can still adjust the volume level up to 30 with the volume key on the side.

Muessig (9:35:03)

So you can confirm that after the Amber update every Lumia device will automatically reset its volume level to 13 regardless of what it was before and that this is a feature and not a bug. I will have to change it myself every single restart from now on?

Rose (9:35:38)

That is right, Muessig. This is to comply with European audio limitation.
    This might be one of the main reasons people are complaining the notification sounds are lower after the Amber update - because they don't realise the volume resets itself!
    Last edited by Muessig; 09-02-2013 at 03:41 AM.
    09-02-2013 03:05 AM
487 ... 7891011 ...