Official Lumia 920 GDR2/Amber Update Thread

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't have Glance in my settings and I think my phone is fairly up to date. I do think Nokia has already updated a number of system settings in anticipation of Amber. There are a couple of things, like Touch, where you can see extra options as it's sliding into view but they disappear the moment it stops.

Come to think of it, I don't have Access Point either. Is your phone unlocked?

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Well i can tell you that the prev firmware number(Portico) didn't match either.

I have some good news (in a way). Looks like Nokia made a mistake and have corrected the France L920 Country Variant on their update page. It is now listed as 'Coming Soon', so that's why you haven't been able to update your phone. It appears it probably wasn't released after all. You should get it very soon now anyway :smile:

anon(8085328)

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Uselessrobot: I've noticed that too. No, my phone isn't unlocked. I was also able to install ProCam and the other new camera apps, but they don't open. I think there's a glitch somewhere

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
i bought it at a local gadget shop here in the philippines.

have you tried to check on the update part of the settings? is the extras and info part updated also? when i checked my files i realized it's been more than a month since i got the amber update on my 920 so if yours is a philippine released unit, it should have that already

imbasaurus

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
have you tried to check on the update part of the settings? is the extras and info part updated also? when i checked my files i realized it's been more than a month since i got the amber update on my 920 so if yours is a philippine released unit, it should have that already

I am confused. It doesn't tell that it has amber but i have data sense 😞

Btw is it normal that my charging icon is blinking to charging status to normal?

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am confused. It doesn't tell that it has amber but i have data sense ��

Btw is it normal that my charging icon is blinking to charging status to normal?

that explains it. if you have data sense already, then that means it should be amber. you need to update your system apps so you'll be able to see all of the features or updates that amber can give. you could use a system app pusher or search the forum for the links of the system apps needed for an update. here check this thread and open the links on your phone.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/241619-nokia-system-app-links.html

guitaristd00d

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Quick question...I'm using Straight Talk on my Lumia 920 but it is an At&t branded phone. I checked for an update today after I put in my Straight Talk SIM in and activated it and it says that I am up to date. Does this mean I have to wait for At&t to release the update before I can get it the "official" way since the phone is At&t branded??

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Quick question...I'm using Straight Talk on my Lumia 920 but it is an At&t branded phone. I checked for an update today after I put in my Straight Talk SIM in and activated it and it says that I am up to date. Does this mean I have to wait for At&t to release the update before I can get it the "official" way since the phone is At&t branded??
That would be my guess. I don't think Straight Talk has any input on the update and they defer to AT&T.

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I waited until the 30th of September to see if AT&T would release this update. It doesn't look like it. Should I have any reservations about using the Nokia updater and just forcing this? What would I be missing?

Let's say AT&T does actually release this update after I force it on my own, is there a way to move to the official update after forcing it?

SpeedyDarklight

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I waited until the 30th of September to see if AT&T would release this update. It doesn't look like it. Should I have any reservations about using the Nokia updater and just forcing this? What would I be missing?

Let's say AT&T does actually release this update after I force it on my own, is there a way to move to the official update after forcing it?

You could try it. The only risk i can see you running is bricking the phone other than that there shouldn't be a problem. If at&t would release the official one it should still appear at one point on your phone since technically you haven't received the update what that would do i have no idea since the official update is made to go from the previous firmware update. I saw wait a week if it's not out by then just update it you're not going to see it through them anytime soon.

On another note i can see them losing a whole market right now with the crappy responses they have been giving on their facebook page, looks like everybody is jumping the boat to another carrier that has the update already. Personally i'm just going to force the update on it if by the end of this week we don't get a response of some kind.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't think it's worth the trouble.

First of all, you have to wipe your phone to do the update. Secondly, there are a bunch of different builds out there which seem to offer varying degrees of stability. Third, once installed people have reported other problems and weird hacks to get around some of those issues. And finally, it seems that once you update you're permanently out of the loop; you can't get back on with AT&T's updates.

Others might correct me, or be able to add specifics, but everything I've seen tells me it's not the way to go. If we were talking a pure build like Android, where future updates come directly from Microsoft or Nokia I'd be doing it myself. Unfortunately, that's not the case with Windows Phone.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't think it's worth the trouble.

First of all, you have to wipe your phone to do the update. Secondly, there are a bunch of different builds out there which seem to offer varying degrees of stability. Third, once installed people have reported other problems and weird hacks to get around some of those issues. And finally, it seems that once you update you're permanently out of the loop; you can't get back on with AT&T's updates.

Others might correct me, or be able to add specifics, but everything I've seen tells me it's not the way to go. If we were talking a pure build like Android, where future updates come directly from Microsoft or Nokia I'd be doing it myself. Unfortunately, that's not the case with Windows Phone.

I am not saying that people should go and update via a flash and you have valid points. But I believe there are those who like to play with fire and those who want to stay safe. If you check out the Amber flash thread you will find lots of people who have no issues after flashing a French or the Canadian rom (including people on XDA). There were indeed reports (XDA) that the ATT Dev rom gave people some stability issues. I myself waited until two days ago and flashed to Rogers rom. I have absolutely no issues. Everything is working fine with the additional features that come with Amber/GDR2. Yes, flashing requires you to start from scratch and you will spend a few hours catching up. Is it worth it? I think yes, you may think it is not - which is totally fine. If you have any doubts, stay away from it. That is always the best strategy.

PS: I believe as long as you stick with RM-820 roms you will be able to flash a future Amber/GDR2 rom that comes out for AT&T but don't take my word for it.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

If your "forcing it on your own" means flashing it with another non-ATT rom to get Amber/GDR2 then you would have to flash a future ATT Amber/GDR2 rom to get back to an ATT rom. Right now there is no other way than flashing it with a non-ATT rom to get Amber/GDR2 if you are ATT-US (I do not count the ATT dev rom because from all I read it's a strange animal).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs