Official Lumia 720 Amber Update Thread

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
With the flood gates opening regarding the release of GDR2 bundled with Nokia’s Amber Update, everyone is dying to know when their Lumia 720 will receive the magical update message. Also, some of you may not know what is included and how it will make your phone better. This guide should provide everything you need!

Has my update been released?
Nokia has a great page for helping its customers discover if their carrier has released the update yet or not:
Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia

To check for your phone, click on the region you belong to on the left side of the webpage. This will bring up a list phones/carriers organized by country.

Go to the settings and then check to see if you have an update available, (Settings -> Phone update -> Check for updates). If the update is available, you'll have to be on a WiFi connection to download any system updates over 20MB in size (and GDR2 is definitely over 20MB!)

What is included in GDR2?

Fixes Low Res “Me” Tile Pictures - For more details, Click Here

FM Radio - Back from the dead! It is now included on WP8 phones. You can find it in your Music & Video Hub.

Data Sense - It is now available for more phones. For more details, Click Here.

Change Default Camera Lens/App - Name says it all!

CardDAV and CalDAV Support - Now sync your calender and contacts from services that use these standards!

HTML5 Improvements - Now view HTML5 sites better in IE! Pages should load faster and with less errors!

Lynx and Skype Stability Improvements

What is included in Amber?

Block Calls & Text Messages - While the API for this feature will be on all phones, Nokia has implemented block calls and text messages based on a blacklist or from numbers that have been withheld. For more details, Click Here.

Video Trimmer - A Nokia app that allows for quick editing and sharing of video. For more details, Click Here.

Double Tap To Wake - Now you can double tap your phone to turn it on! No more finding the power button in the dark.
Caution: This feature uses more battery power.

Glance - This feature allows you to view the clock whenever you take your phone out of your pocket or when you wave your hand over the sensor. For detailed information, Click Here.

Nokia Pro Cam - Want the fantastic app the 1020 uses to take pictures? You got it if you have the 920, 925 or 928! For details, Click Here. There's also a good chance it will be released later for other devices if other Nokia apps are anything to go by.

Do you have some new information to share? Post it here! Does this show your phone not having the update yet, but you just verified receiving it? Post it here!

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Nice info But when will it be released for L720..?

According to news yesterday, the 92x and 820 series will get it first and the other Lumia models will follow soon after. Keep checking for updates from your carrier regularly, but all devices should have the GDR2 update (and Amber) before the end of September.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with your device. In the UK only 1 network on has the update available for 1 model. Fact is it takes time to get the update tested and out for all the different models on the different networks. Patience.

Akshay Sawant

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Since the lumia 720 has software issues like screen freeze while startup on "NOKIA" and random hangs due to apps installed from store, do you think amber will able to fix these issues?

Nightwishh

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
@Akshay Sawant: I honestly don't have the problems you mentioned, so in my case there is nothing to be fixed by GDR2, I'm just waiting for the new features.

Angry Pixel

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I've just faced a restart once in last 40 days of usage. I think the people who are complaining have got a device which is defected. They should get that replaced. Because it is a awesome phone, i had a quadcore android before this and that used to get sluggish even though it had 1 GB RAM too.

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I think the Nokia Screen start hang up is a minor problem. best to keep your phone rebooted once in a week. that helps speed it up. kind of deletes the cache too.
Since the lumia 720 has software issues like screen freeze while startup on "NOKIA" and random hangs due to apps installed from store, do you think amber will able to fix these issues?

Rakesh Sheoran

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
This is my conversation with nokia care

ARVIND: Hi, my name is ARVIND. Thank you for contacting Nokia Care Chat.
How may I help you?

Rakesh Sheoran (14:04:09)
can u tell me when lumia 720 amber update available

ARVIND (14:04:42)
I will be happy to help you with this!

ARVIND (14:04:46)
Before this may I ask some details from you?
Full Name
City and State name
Contact Number

Rakesh Sheoran (14:05:06)
Rakesh Sheoran

Rakesh Sheoran (14:05:28)
Charkhi dadri (haryana) 9729315239

ARVIND (14:05:44)
Rakesh, thank you for the information.

ARVIND (14:06:19)
Rakesh, as I understand you want to know about launching of Amber update, am I correct?

Rakesh Sheoran (14:06:31)
yes

ARVIND (14:07:15)
Rakesh, officially Amber update has been rolled out from Nokia and once you will get pop up of update then
you can update. To make sure you don’t miss out on the latest updates, on the start screen, swipe left, tap
Settings > phone update, and make sure the Tell me when updates are available for my phone check box is
ticked.
Amber update has been al ready launched on late evening of 15.08.2013. According to device RM and
firmware you will get notification of update.
I can not commit but may be today or tomorrow you may get this update.
For more information go through this link- http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-
software-update/

Rakesh Sheoran (14:07:55)
thank u

ARVIND (14:08:06)
Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Rakesh Sheoran (14:08:54)
is there some improvements of internet explorer in this update

ARVIND (14:11:16)
That you will come to know after update of this but you will get FM radio and smart camera app,. glance screen,
bluetooth .

ARVIND (14:11:32)
Other features you will come to know after update.

Rakesh Sheoran (14:11:47)
ok thank u

Amritash Pathania

May 4, 2013
Visit site
i guess will get our update on first week of September . but then again it is only a guess. more over nokia has assured that every phone will be updated before October.

seq1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
This is my conversation with nokia care

ARVIND: Hi, my name is ARVIND. Thank you for contacting Nokia Care Chat.
How may I help you?

Rakesh Sheoran (14:04:09)
can u tell me when lumia 720 amber update available

ARVIND (14:04:42)
I will be happy to help you with this!

ARVIND (14:04:46)
Before this may I ask some details from you?
Full Name
City and State name
Contact Number

Rakesh Sheoran (14:05:06)
Rakesh Sheoran

Rakesh Sheoran (14:05:28)
Charkhi dadri (haryana) 9729315239

ARVIND (14:05:44)
Rakesh, thank you for the information.

ARVIND (14:06:19)
Rakesh, as I understand you want to know about launching of Amber update, am I correct?

Rakesh Sheoran (14:06:31)
yes

ARVIND (14:07:15)
Rakesh, officially Amber update has been rolled out from Nokia and once you will get pop up of update then
you can update. To make sure you don’t miss out on the latest updates, on the start screen, swipe left, tap
Settings > phone update, and make sure the Tell me when updates are available for my phone check box is
ticked.
Amber update has been al ready launched on late evening of 15.08.2013. According to device RM and
firmware you will get notification of update.
I can not commit but may be today or tomorrow you may get this update.
For more information go through this link- http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-
software-update/

Rakesh Sheoran (14:07:55)
thank u

ARVIND (14:08:06)
Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Rakesh Sheoran (14:08:54)
is there some improvements of internet explorer in this update

ARVIND (14:11:16)
That you will come to know after update of this but you will get FM radio and smart camera app,. glance screen,
bluetooth .

ARVIND (14:11:32)
Other features you will come to know after update.

Rakesh Sheoran (14:11:47)
ok thank u

This guy Arvind said exactly the same things to me 3 days back.
It simply means he keeps repeating the same thing like a parrot. Looks as if he copy pastes the same thing in every conversation regarding Amber.

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Waiting for approval means your carrier is still testing the update.

Again, to all of you: outside of the USA a lot of people also have UNLOCKED carrier-free devices, which directly get updates by the mf. You know, like the Nexus line on Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077