Official HTC 8X GDR2 Thread

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
With more and more Windows Phone 8 devices getting GDR2, everyone is dying to know when their device will receive the update. Some of you may or may not know what is included or how it will make your phone better. This guide should provide everything you need!

Has my update been released?

Go to the settings and then check to see if you have an update available, (Settings -> Phone update -> Check for updates). If the update is available, you'll have to be on a WiFi connection to download any system updates over 20MB in size (and GDR2 is definitely over 20MB!)

What is included in GDR2?

Fixes Low Res ?Me? Tile Pictures - For more details, Click Here

FM Radio - Back from the dead! It is now included on WP8 phones. You can find it in your Music & Video Hub.

Data Sense - It is now available for more phones. For more details, Click Here.

Change Default Camera Lens/App - Name says it all!

CardDAV and CalDAV Support - Now sync your calender and contacts from services that use these standards!

HTML5 Improvements - Now view HTML5 sites better in IE! Pages should load faster and with less errors!

Lynx and Skype Stability Improvements

Do you have some new information to share? Post it here! Does this show your phone not having the update yet, but you just verified receiving it? Post it here!

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
What would be very useful for this thread is sort of what Nokia has, an update status page showing whether the carrier has released, is in approval, or has postponed the update
Just an idea since it is a pain to get recent news on the status of current updates for the 8x.

Hamidd

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I bought my unlocked HTC 8X a couple of days ago, and I updated the OS version to: 8.0.10211.204
Today I was received another update which seems to be GDR2
I was wondering if this is the fixed version of GDR2 by HTC or it is still that version with the possibility of lockups/dead handsets after applying??

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I bought my unlocked HTC 8X a couple of days ago, and I updated the OS version to: 8.0.10211.204
Today I was received another update which seems to be GDR2
I was wondering if this is the fixed version of GDR2 by HTC or it is still that version with the possibility of lockups/dead handsets after applying??
I would not know, the unlocked version may be fixed by now, hopefully. But I am still glad I don't have an unlocked device. My phone then would be an 130g paperweight.

wb3052

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
On my unlocked phone HTC 8x bought about a month ago, there was another new update prompted after updating to portico(.204) but it was not GDR2 but some HTC update. My 8x still haven't got the gdr2 update (blessing in disguise). You can always download the update, see the information and postpone the installation if its GDR2.

Hamidd

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
On my unlocked phone HTC 8x bought about a month ago, there was another new update prompted after updating to portico(.204) but it was not GDR2 but some HTC update. My 8x still haven't got the gdr2 update (blessing in disguise). You can always download the update, see the information and postpone the installation if its GDR2.

How can I see the information? I have downloaded the update and have 2 options now: Postpone, Install! and there is no extra info regarding the update details

wb3052

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
How can I see the information? I have downloaded the update and have 2 options now: Postpone, Install! and there is no extra info regarding the update details

If it was the GDr update you should see the following
http://forums.windowscentral.com/attachments/htc-8x/40258d1376608986-016.png

The HTC specific update did not show any information. In fear of installing GDR2, I kept postponing the update until I accidentally installed it. To my relief it was not gdr2, I still have got any notification for gdr2.
If you are uncertain, I woud advise you to postpone the update until you have more news of a more stable gdr2 update in the forums.

stealthcrawler1

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My ATT 8X has been randomly locking up every now and then after the GDR2 update. It's very odd. It's happened almost everytime I'm playing Jetpack Joyride. It happens in-game or happens when I quit out of it. It just freezes. Fortunately, a reboot fixes the issue.

Dean Hepper

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I called Verizon Wireless about an hour ago, and inquired on the availabolity of the GDR2 update and they looked into it and told me that we are not waiting for Verizon, but that we are waiting for HTC. She varified the the "Firmware revision number" and the "Radio software version" on my phone, both being accurate to what she said I should have and referred me to HTC's Office. I then called HTC, and inquired about the same update. more closely, the "other storage" issue. The reply I received back was, "We are aware of this issue, however their is no available fix for it as of yet. If this issue is keeping you from completing a phone call, a factory reset will allow you to do so." So I dont know when and if we will be seeing this update on Verizon's service (not that I know how this update differs from the other carriers that have it.)

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Got my AT&T update on Saturday. The most important improvement for me is the update to the codec's for .wav files (or whatever it is that they updated), I can now play voice mail messages attached to emails from my firm's Shoretel phone system. Big step up for Windows Phone in the business market. That they originally released it without this ability is startling.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte