Lumia 920 camera bug after Amber update

Status
Not open for further replies.

kostas023

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i can confirm this too. I have a Lumia 920 with Amber update and the image before the processing it looks better than the final photo.

Here some samples from me:

wp_ss_20130919_0008.jpg wp_ss_20130919_0009.jpg

wp_ss_20130919_0018.jpg wp_ss_20130919_0019.jpg

And here is a crop of the last:

wp_ss_20130919_0018.png wp_ss_20130919_0019.png

Well i think that the photo before the processing looks better in the eye with better colors and more sharpness but when you zoom you can see that there is a lot of noise that is cleared after the processing.
What do you think?

Zamir Yusof

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Well i think that the photo before the processing looks better in the eye with better colors and more sharpness but when you zoom you can see that there is a lot of noise that is cleared after the processing.
What do you think?

The problem is fine details are treated as noise thus we lose the sharpness. I can apply auto fix for the green hue but no way of sharpen them back and not to mention the colors are muted too =..=

1. Original (the body is deep black)
wp_ss_20130919_0001.jpg

2. Processed (dark grey)
wp_ss_20130919_0002.jpg

3. Auto fix applied (demn... =..=)
wp_ss_20130919_0003.jpg

davym123

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with the Amber update. The pictures that I take receive a yellowish effect after 1 second when viewed.
Any work around? I'm leaving on a vacation in 40 days, and would like to take pictures w/o the yellow effect.
And had anyone found an official reply from Nokia?
"Davy"

Zamir Yusof

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with the Amber update. The pictures that I take receive a yellowish effect after 1 second when viewed.
Any work around? I'm leaving on a vacation in 40 days, and would like to take pictures w/o the yellow effect.
And had anyone found an official reply from Nokia?
"Davy"

If you are on vacation, I believe most of your photo shoot will be outside in sunny day so there's not much issue and the photo still be really good and most of the time you can apply auto-fix to correct the colour balance. For night shot, you may encounter white balance issue where yellow ambience light turned white. This can be fixed by setting the white balance to cloudy or daylight. Other than that, it depends on your photography skill :wink:
*most of the problems happen in room condition with artificial light. some workarounds are playing with white balance and use lower ISO or rely on natural light ( I did most of my plastic model photo shoot by relying on sunlight that passes through my room's window)

As far as I know, Juha Alakarhu from Nokia is aware on this post processing effect but still no confirmation or official statement regarding the fix.

Jump Jet

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
If you are on vacation, I believe most of your photo shoot will be outside in sunny day so there's not much issue and the photo still be really good and most of the time you can apply auto-fix to correct the colour balance. For night shot, you may encounter white balance issue where yellow ambience light turned white. This can be fixed by setting the white balance to cloudy or daylight. Other than that, it depends on your photography skill :wink:
*most of the problems happen in room condition with artificial light. some workarounds are playing with white balance and use lower ISO or rely on natural light ( I did most of my plastic model photo shoot by relying on sunlight that passes through my room's window)

As far as I know, Juha Alakarhu from Nokia is aware on this post processing effect but still no confirmation or official statement regarding the fix.

whatever cloudy,daylight ,fluorescent or what , its have same problem and not photography skill , its is a bug

Zamir Yusof

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
whatever cloudy,daylight ,fluorescent or what , its have same problem and not photography skill , its is a bug

I prefer to call it un-wanted processing than bug because in some situations the photo turns out great while in other conditions it may turn less-desirable. Since the problem won't be gone right away, it's better to have some knowledge or tips on photography so you still can achieve good enough result until they fix the algorithm.

Ariel Mustaine

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem here... I live in Argentina and I updated my lumia 920 with the euro rom.
However, reducing the ISO to 100 will also reduce the postprocessing crap.

paulomalley

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
An update came out in Australia for unbranded devices a couple of weeks ago. The only real changes in it were for the Camera and I noticed the Post Processing was reduced in severity a LOT... I'd post samples but I now have the 1020 and am eagerly awaiting the update for it... If you have a 925 I highly recommend flashing it with the latest updates...

Zamir Yusof

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
An update came out in Australia for unbranded devices a couple of weeks ago. The only real changes in it were for the Camera and I noticed the Post Processing was reduced in severity a LOT... I'd post samples but I now have the 1020 and am eagerly awaiting the update for it... If you have a 925 I highly recommend flashing it with the latest updates...

That sounds cool, but what devices actually receive the updates.. is it only for Pureview or all Lumia phones?

trmnrs

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem as well, what I've been doing to slightly alleviate the issue is setting my white balance to either Fluorescent or Incandescent to make the photo more blue before processing, then the buggy post-processing will kind of balance it out. You unfortunately can't set defaults in Pro Cam but I rarely use it unless I need to adjust shutter speed when I don't want to use flash. Give it a try and see if it helps?

Angry Pixel

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Considering how sincere nokia have been with respect to their constant updates and developing quality apps exclusive to nokia, there is a very good chance that they will sort it out soon. Maybe they've fixed it in GDR3 so they are just waiting and testing that out instead of releasing a update in between. Though its surprising how this error was not tested in Q&A when there was so much focus on ProCam app before Amber release.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Not only the yellow tone, but too much grainy pics...Am thinking to rollback to portico update... Anyone else with me??

Nope. I wouldn't as I still can use the default cam to take picture without the post-processing effect. And in Amber, the picture is way sharper.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I prefer to call it un-wanted processing than bug because in some situations the photo turns out great while in other conditions it may turn less-desirable. Since the problem won't be gone right away, it's better to have some knowledge or tips on photography so you still can achieve good enough result until they fix the algorithm.

I was trying the Pro Cam few days ago at night and during a few shots, I realized the Post-processing did some pretty amazing job. It was a low light and lots of grainy pixels. Then I tried to few the Post-processing effect, and amazingly, the grainy pixels due to the low light disappeared and the image appeared to be very clean. Too bad, I accidentally deleted those pictures :unhappy: I guess at those situation, the Post-Processing comes in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte