Lumia 920 camera bug after Amber update

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I thought it might be a lighting problem, but here is a flash pic in total darkness.

wp_ss_20130913_0014_zps08ff3e2d.png
wp_ss_20130913_0015_zpsbf668446.png

Last edited:

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Here's a question.
Pre Amber, the image quality in my L920 was so poor to the state I tried everything to get my unit exchanged at a care centre, even asking for the camera to be changed for a fee!!
I flashed to Amber and cannot believe the superior quality of pictures I'm getting, especially with the Pro Cam App.
I wonder if the Amber update improves the poorer those quality cameras under Portico (13XX FW), but is now having a detrimental effect on those that were good before?

Zamir Yusof

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I believe all this post processing problems are related to Nokia try to improve night shot.
We have two issues here, blurry image and the hue when taking photo under enough light but for low light shot, these two works in our favor; it helps mask the noise introduced when using higher ISO and reducing the warmer tone because the fact that most of light sources at night are in warm colours (e.g streets light is yellow, not white).
My opinion in fixing this problem is applying the post processing only under one condition; high ISO level. I don't need additional hue since it will ruin the atmospheric (candle light dinner in white light?aww) and there's no need to smooth out my already smooth noise less low ISO close up shot as it just ruin the fine details. Sometimes I need to work with ISO, shutter speed and white balance a few times just to get the shot that I can get EASILY with iPhone or Galaxy. Or better yet, include the setting to allow saving un-processed image available in Pro Cam app and let the post processing as default setting for camera.

Here's a question.
Pre Amber, the image quality in my L920 was so poor to the state I tried everything to get my unit exchanged at a care centre, even asking for the camera to be changed for a fee!!
I flashed to Amber and cannot believe the superior quality of pictures I'm getting, especially with the Pro Cam App.
I wonder if the Amber update improves the poorer those quality cameras under Portico (13XX FW), but is now having a detrimental effect on those that were good before?

Maybe in the order to fix the problem, they introduce these new problems. It's hard to say since only with Nokia Pro Cam we can see the post processing takes effect. Unless we can get someone that have two Lumia 920 with portico and amber do the test.

Last edited:

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
It just so happens that my gf hasn't updated per 920 yet so I have 1 phone with Amber and 1 without.

Pre-Amber:
9743176510_d1cc1762ce_b.jpg

Amber:
9743176516_ee7f82a5f7_b.jpg

The pre-amber picture is superior (apart from the lens flare) and ironically, less grainy.

Last edited:

Zamir Yusof

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
After I updated my 920 to Amber yesterday, the picture, surprisingly, become so sharp and clear. This is very noticeable especially when I want to capture an image.
Before Amber, when we half-press the shutter, we can see that the image is very sharp, but right after we capture the image, the image become slightly out of focus.
After Amber, during half-press the shutter and fully-pressed, it is exactly the same. Both are very sharp.
And yes, regarding, the Nokia Pro Cam, it does add some hue to the image, but it is still very sharp just like the default Camera.

Will post some of the photo later. However, I forgot to take some sample image before Amber. I will do the comparison between Pre-Amber and Post-Amber image using my parent's 920, as it is still on Portico. Will update that phone to Amber either tonight or tomorrow.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
After I updated my 920 to Amber yesterday, the picture, surprisingly, become so sharp and clear. This is very noticeable especially when I want to capture an image.
Before Amber, when we half-press the shutter, we can see that the image is very sharp, but right after we capture the image, the image become slightly out of focus.
After Amber, during half-press the shutter and fully-pressed, it is exactly the same. Both are very sharp.
And yes, regarding, the Nokia Pro Cam, it does add some hue to the image, but it is still very sharp just like the default Camera.

Will post some of the photo later. However, I forgot to take some sample image before Amber. I will do the comparison between Pre-Amber and Post-Amber image using my parent's 920, as it is still on Portico. Will update that phone to Amber either tonight or tomorrow.

Take a screenshot immediately after taking the picture, then view the photo, wait for it to process and take another screenshot

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So here are the samples of my 920 after Amber:

- Default Camera
WP_20130916_029.jpg

- Nokia Pro Cam
WP_20130916_22_06_36_Pro.jpg

'- Screenshot right after the image was taken
wp_ss_20130916_0007.jpg

- Screenshot after post-processing
wp_ss_20130916_0008.jpg

When viewing from PC, the post-processing done by the Pro Cam is more obvious. Well, at least, now the default camera is much sharper than before Amber. So it's all good for me :smile:

Last edited:

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I've tweeted Nokia with the Issue, but they probably won't do anything about it. It's very widespread though so they must know about it.

Zamir Yusof

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Even a pro photographer commenting about the issue.

"I’ve read a lot of commentary around the 1020’s still image quality. Whilst the majority would seem to be extremely positive, I’m very much aware that there have been a number of negative comments. Those seem to be centred on noise, sharpening and colour saturation or as a summary some may say, ‘over-processed’. Especially when making comparisons with the 808 which made a reputation for itself based on its unprocessed images, something no other competing device today can emulate." - Damian Dinning

you guys can read the rest of the article here

We need to have more people pushing Nokia on this issue. The camera is good, really good and we already saw what it capable of but the over-process really ruining it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo