Lumia 920 camera bug after Amber update

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Glad to know other people have the same issue as I just updated to Amber today and am now able to use Pro Cam. Couldn't understand why the pictures were perfect after the initial shot and then blurry and discolored afterwards. Hope to see a fix soon. Until then, I'll be using Pro Shot.

Yea, I just updated my ATT 920, and am so disappointed by this. I don't take too many pics, but this is still makes me want to take pictures less now with my 920. Camera used to be the highlight, now its an embarrassment ����

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
wanting to add my voice to this issue also, brand new lumia 920 factory preinstalled with amber, great shot on preview, but saving turns yellowy and lesser quality!

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree as I am using Smart Shoot (not Smart Cam), the picture quality is a bit realistic but at the loss of noise reduction. I use Smart Shoot for indoor while for outdoor or scenery I use Pro Cam since the post processing works in favor.

Here are the sample:

Normal cam
View attachment 45286

Smart Shoot
View attachment 45287
the white balance is quiet close to real life and photo appear a bit sharper when compared side by side.

Not bad, it's more apparent on the silver part of the laptop

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I just updated my ATT 920, and am so disappointed by this. I don't take too many pics, but this is still makes me want to take pictures less now with my 920. Camera used to be the highlight, now its an embarrassment ��������
I know how you feel. I was too excited to finally get to use Pro Cam and the initial images are perfect and then....boom, the photos turn out like crap. But I have faith that Nokia will get things right soon. That's why I got the Lumia 920.

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
The camera apps process the pics to a lower resolution to make them less processor-hungry and easier to view on the phone. And, the yellowish color happens to be one of the processed results.
But, if you upload your pics to your computer (or SkyDrive) you'll notice that the yellowish color is gone, the pics are beautiful and in high-resolution (Try to watch them on a HD screen and you'll see what I mean).

It is a known flaw and they're probably working on an update as we write this.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
So this is just a phone thing and our photos are still beautiful the way they look before we view them?

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree as I am using Smart Shoot (not Smart Cam), the picture quality is a bit realistic but at the loss of noise reduction. I use Smart Shoot for indoor while for outdoor or scenery I use Pro Cam since the post processing works in favor.

Here are the sample:

Normal cam
View attachment 45286

Smart Shoot
View attachment 45287
the white balance is quiet close to real life and photo appear a bit sharper when compared side by side.
Well done sir. Well done.

33eqwjd.jpg

Only Mama Knows

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Frankly, this is an abject failure. One of the big selling points of these phones is the camera. After Amber the photos on my phone are terrible. They're yellow and horribly soft. The photo quality was the only thing keeping me with the 920, but now it's officially a paperweight. And I'm sorry, "wait for the next update" is officially tired. How about just making basic things, like the camera, ya know, work properly.

Gopi Parthasarathy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Guys, These are two versions of the same pic.

This is taken with pro cam ,everything set to auto.

WP_20131011_18_28_25_Pro.jpg

This is taken pro cam, Everything set to auto other than shutter speed reduced to 1/400 s. This seems to have less Yellowish tint..

WP_20131011_18_29_34_Pro.jpg

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 46695

This is taken pro cam, Everything set to auto other than shutter speed reduced to 1/400 s. This seems to have less Yellowish tint..

View attachment 46696

So this is proof that the pictures are still terrible quality, even after they're uploaded. Now I'm really upset with this "update", and will be updating to GDR3 (hopefully) today to get this "Amber" taste out because it will take Nokia to fix this...

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
why would gdr3 affect the amber "taste" as you put it? its not related, any camera change will come via nokia driver/firmware module update via shimmer etc, not MS GDR's

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
why would gdr3 affect the amber "taste" as you put it? its not related, any camera change will come via nokia driver/firmware module update via shimmer etc, not MS GDR's

Yep, I can't see GDR3 having any effect. I've loaded GDR3 on mine, but it's pitch black here now, so can't really test it, but I would very much doubt anything has changed.

Caught Me Spillin

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have to say, i'm really annoyed that Amber was released with this bug.
Don't get me wrong, i love WP8, and pleased with my 920, but i would be lying if i didn't admit It's really soured my view,
(more really is the fact it hasn't really been acknowledged with a fix incoming):unhappy:

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 46695

View attachment 46696

And...? I'm not sure what if anything you're trying to imply,
but if you change the shutter speed you won't have the same settings in auto that you had when everything is set to auto, that's not how a camera works.
Most everything changes, WB especially, ISO obviously and maybe even exposure compensation, all those will effect the color either a lot of just barley but they will. Also see how the camera is pointed down about 5 degrees in the top photo? on Auto WB will read more of the shadow than the bottom view and shadow is 'blue' and in order not to make the scene too blue the auto WB compensates and adds warmth = warmer color.
Auto mode is just trying to create the best color from what it sees, a few degrees lower can effect exposure a lot. If you see those pictures enlarged, the top picture is aimed lower than it looks like does in the smaller view above and with the few degrees more of blue that you get with blue shadow, it will effect exposure and more immediately the added yellow hue. I'm not surprised its warmer - I'm old school I know how a hand held meter works and a built in has to calculate all kinds of variables in auto mode and its never perfect. That's why the Pro Cam has so many manual overrides you just need to know how they effect a scene. Your adjustment is a perfect example, changing the shutter speed just didn't reduce camera movement and blur it effected all the other modes set to auto and the results is a picture not limited by the limits of auto everything. Auto is sophisticated guessing that's all and unless the light is neutral and shadow and light is evenly balanced in a scene auto is like auto pilot, it doesn't compare to manual and it's meant for known variables (simulated life) not real life. It can help, but knowing how the camera sees along with manual adjustments will create better pictures than auto everything everytime if you're willing to learn.

Last edited:

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Latest Nokia photo/video updates were Video trimmer and Video Upload so no new updates with Nokia lenses if anyone was hoping...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss