08-27-2013 12:04 PM
54 123
tools
    Anybody facing heating related issues with Lumia 920 ? .. I have a yellow one and from the beginning I am facing heating & battery issues exactly as mentioned by Kavita10 in her first post. To Kavita10 - how did you manage to get yours exchanged ?

I have a poor battery life of around 15-16 hours on 3G .. very moderate use few calls & whatsapp in background (no heavy use of whatsapp).
    08-19-2013 04:36 AM
    For me, I found out that my problem was the new feature "double-tap-to-wake". I disabled it and now my phone lasts a lot more than before Amber. And no more heating issues.

With the feature on, my phone was heating as soon as I was using it...
    08-19-2013 08:43 AM
    Why are you complaining? i havnt got amber yet, Im currently at 100% battery and have 18-21 hours remaining, as soon as i start using it moderatly, it says i have about 12 hours remaining. with all power saving options taken advantage of and brightness set too low.
    08-19-2013 04:20 PM
    Let me explain mine.

First when I flashed my 920 with Amber, I have seen the similar battery results.
    The battery was not lasting for long time.

Most of the background apps in disabled mode and not many apps installed after the flash. Though the battery was dying very fast.
    I just observed one day and checked statistics and I am totally lost my mind.

So next day I flashed again the device, now I am installed apps and changed my settings and whoola now I am getting below results
    1% drop out - standby mode [10pm to 7 am]
    5% drop out with heavy messaging [10am to 6pm]
    5% drop out per every 30mins-45mins if I use Wifi
    Games like UNO, killing battery 15% per hour

Note: Yes, Glance and Peek are enabled. I don't enable background tasks for apps which I really don't need. I just enabled for Whatsapp and Insider. Rest all I don't need bgtasks
    08-19-2013 09:39 PM
    Let me explain mine.

First when I flashed my 920 with Amber, I have seen the similar battery results.
    The battery was not lasting for long time.

Most of the background apps in disabled mode and not many apps installed after the flash. Though the battery was dying very fast.
    I just observed one day and checked statistics and I am totally lost my mind.

So next day I flashed again the device, now I am installed apps and changed my settings and whoola now I am getting below results
    1% drop out - standby mode [10pm to 7 am]
    5% drop out with heavy messaging [10am to 6pm]
    5% drop out per every 30mins-45mins if I use Wifi
    Games like UNO, killing battery 15% per hour

Note: Yes, Glance and Peek are enabled. I don't enable background tasks for apps which I really don't need. I just enabled for Whatsapp and Insider. Rest all I don't need bgtasks
    10 days after Amber update and many charging cycles later.. my device is no better.. After a full charge the battery says it will last 1 day 2 hrs.. Battery drain is never below 3% an hour with Edge network on.. Definitely bad after amber .. as the drain % was 1.5% pre update... Few things i did notice was - phone definitely heated less on 3G .. but playing games does make it hot.. Background tasks are off .. Hate Whatsapp coz thats been the one that eats up most battery across all platforms that I have been on.. Any one else with battery life issues post update... Yes camera definitely better since update - If i flash the device wont it hard reset... in that case is there a way I can back up all my songs, pics apps and then do a reset and restore like in android ?????
    08-23-2013 10:49 PM
    Hi kavita .. after updating to Amber my 920 is definitely heating less but it overheats like before if I use Whatsapp continuously (say for 15 mins at a stretch) .. or for eg. If I am browsing continuously. .... does this happen with your 920 ? .. You in your first post said that your first device was suffering from Heating & Battery issues .. can you please let me know how did you get it exchanged ?

I am using 3G.

Games make my 920 superhot & battery drain is around 20% per hour.

You can backup your songs/pics/videos by connecting your device to PC however Apps you will have to reinstall from store again (and all your achievements etc will be lost).
    08-24-2013 12:08 AM
    Hi kavita .. after updating to Amber my 920 is definitely heating less but it overheats like before if I use Whatsapp continuously (say for 15 mins at a stretch) .. or for eg. If I am browsing continuously. .... does this happen with your 920 ? .. You in your first post said that your first device was suffering from Heating & Battery issues .. can you please let me know how did you get it exchanged ?

I am using 3G.

Games make my 920 superhot & battery drain is around 20% per hour.

You can backup your songs/pics/videos by connecting your device to PC however Apps you will have to reinstall from store again (and all your achievements etc will be lost).

Hi Jill.. Had to reset my phone.and can now see the battery drain level to 2.5 during phone set up. did get warm on a 15 minute phone call post reset but i guess thats just the os trying to settle down.. .. how i stopped my last heating - well put the phone in airplane mode, opened all apps one by one and backed out of it.. know thats really silly but that took care of the heating ...

now waiting to see how has the reset helped my post amber :)
    08-24-2013 03:24 AM
    Hi Jill.. Had to reset my phone.and can now see the battery drain level to 2.5 during phone set up. did get warm on a 15 minute phone call post reset but i guess thats just the os trying to settle down.. .. how i stopped my last heating - well put the phone in airplane mode, opened all apps one by one and backed out of it.. know thats really silly but that took care of the heating ...

now waiting to see how has the reset helped my post amber :)
    You mentioned that you exchanged your first device ? Or is it still the same ?

Good to learn that battery drain in your case has reduced. Mine is horrible & the heating too .. for eg. If I surf 6tag for say about 5 mins .. The device starts to super heat-up .. tried the same on Lumia 720 nothing happens. Something really wrong with my device.
    08-24-2013 03:55 AM
    You mentioned that you exchanged your first device ? Or is it still the same ?

Good to learn that battery drain in your case has reduced. Mine is horrible & the heating too .. for eg. If I surf 6tag for say about 5 mins .. The device starts to super heat-up .. tried the same on Lumia 720 nothing happens. Something really wrong with my device.

My dad has a L720 and believe me he is on 3G all day and the device barely loses battery.. he still has about 50% when he is back home after being off charger for more than 14 hrs.. ya 14 hrs!!! .. welll now after reset can no longer see call blocker, lumia color profile, glance & peek :( ... my second device is driving me nuts
    08-24-2013 04:05 AM
    My dad has a L720 and believe me he is on 3G all day and the device barely loses battery.. he still has about 50% when he is back home after being off charger for more than 14 hrs.. ya 14 hrs!!! .. welll now after reset can no longer see call blocker, lumia color profile, glance & peek :( ... my second device is driving me nuts
    You have to update system apps to see call blocker and other features. It's not just your 920 my 620 after amber update has very poor battery life.
    08-24-2013 04:32 AM
    I just reseted my phone as well after facing horrible battery drain issues post amber....
    i hope it will perform better now :\
    kavita10 likes this.
    08-24-2013 04:36 AM
    Yes pretty true Kavita, my friend has a 720 & his device shows no signs of heating on 3G or any kind of battery drain. Regarding Amber, I suggest all those who have installed the update to reset the device after taking proper backup of your data. I can confirm that after reset your device will perform much better. Kavita please update all your system apps, you can try this app 'SysApp Pusher' from store for updation of system apps.

Ok I can confirm that 920 will perform best on 2G & 4G networks with very limited battery drain or heating however with 3G the device will throw-up a lot of heat & battery drain will be huge. If I am not wrong then there is something wrong with the design of device. Infact I just came from Nokia Care Center asking for a replacement on which they have confirmed the above thing. :(
    08-24-2013 05:30 AM
    Yes pretty true Kavita, my friend has a 720 & his device shows no signs of heating on 3G or any kind of battery drain. Regarding Amber, I suggest all those who have installed the update to reset the device after taking proper backup of your data. I can confirm that after reset your device will perform much better. Kavita please update all your system apps, you can try this app 'SysApp Pusher' from store for updation of system apps.

Ok I can confirm that 920 will perform best on 2G & 4G networks with very limited battery drain or heating however with 3G the device will throw-up a lot of heat & battery drain will be huge. If I am not wrong then there is something wrong with the design of device. Infact I just came from Nokia Care Center asking for a replacement on which they have confirmed the above thing. :(
    4G -- woaah - we Indian's are yet to get 4G here .. so am on 2G all time except for the time when I want to download - thats why I toggle to 3G :( .. Got SysApp Pusher ( silly me just forgot about it ).. 5 hrs off charger and probably calls of 45 mins duration later am on 89% with 2G data on and the battery meter says 1 day & 11 hrs to go .... so may be its got something to do with resetting ( which seems like mandatory - post amber update ) to fix it .. Lost my Xbox achievements but dont mind as long as phone is stable
    08-24-2013 07:16 AM
    I just reseted my phone as well after facing horrible battery drain issues post amber....
    i hope it will perform better now :\
    Hoping that solves the issue
    08-24-2013 07:16 AM
    damm my phone got bricked while trying to factory reset.., i just flashed it back to portico downloading the gdr2+amber now and perhaps would factory reset again lul...:P
    08-24-2013 07:54 AM
    Use SysApp Pusher to install Access Point. Settings > Access Point, and use it to switch profiles LTE1 or LTE2 (in case you have MMS issues on either). Fixed.
    kavita10 likes this.
    08-24-2013 07:57 AM
    damm my phone got bricked while trying to factory reset.., i just flashed it back to portico downloading the gdr2+amber now and perhaps would factory reset again lul...:P
    Opps.. God luck
    Elton Jothi likes this.
    08-24-2013 08:09 AM
    4G -- woaah - we Indian's are yet to get 4G here .. so am on 2G all time except for the time when I want to download - thats why I toggle to 3G :( .. Got SysApp Pusher ( silly me just forgot about it ).. 5 hrs off charger and probably calls of 45 mins duration later am on 89% with 2G data on and the battery meter says 1 day & 11 hrs to go .... so may be its got something to do with resetting ( which seems like mandatory - post amber update ) to fix it .. Lost my Xbox achievements but dont mind as long as phone is stable
    India here too !
    08-24-2013 02:17 PM
    Faced the same thing .. basic reason which I find is if you have too much data on your phone .. the probability of your phone getting bricked is high while hard-resetting it.
    08-24-2013 02:19 PM
    Faced the same thing .. basic reason which I find is if you have too much data on your phone .. the probability of your phone getting bricked is high while hard-resetting it.
    exactly i had just 5 gb free space and then factory reset bricked it....
    anyways i was successful in flashing to portico then get the amber and then a factory reset again ;D
    need to test the battery performance now
    08-24-2013 03:04 PM
    exactly i had just 5 gb free space and then factory reset bricked it....
    anyways i was successful in flashing to portico then get the amber and then a factory reset again ;D
    need to test the battery performance now
    Cool that is ! .. Mine took around 6-7 hours & after several soft resets etc it came back to life. Thereafter I did one more hard-reset just to be sure that nothing is corrupted which actually went well without any problems.
    08-24-2013 03:25 PM
    Cool that is ! .. Mine took around 6-7 hours & after several soft resets etc it came back to life. Thereafter I did one more hard-reset just to be sure that nothing is corrupted which actually went well without any problems.
    now the crazy phone warms up while surfing on 2G .. even for 10 minutes and is surprisingly cool on 3G man this phone is driving me nuts.. battery consumption def higher on 3g but how can it stay cool ... any clues ???
    08-24-2013 10:30 PM
    Ok, nothing solved this terrible battery drain issue after the amber update.
    I did a hard reset via the "settings" option.
    My phone got stuck on the "turning cogs" forever. I used this method to resurrect my phone. Thanks god, woke up.
    After the update, I noticed that the photo of the "me tile" was much sharper than before as mentioned in some post on wpcentral.
    I now felt more comfortable that the firmware has been properly installed as this should have been corrected with the first amber update.
    I updated all the settings options using an app similar to Lumia Pusher, and now I have amber on my phone, with all features such as double tap to wake and glance etc.
    Now my battery drain is better than before. Yay!
    08-25-2013 01:02 AM
    now the crazy phone warms up while surfing on 2G .. even for 10 minutes and is surprisingly cool on 3G man this phone is driving me nuts.. battery consumption def higher on 3g but how can it stay cool ... any clues ???
    In my case it heats up on 3G and stays warm on 2G. Battery life in both cases is slightly different. No matter which mode but if I use an app say for eg. Whatsapp, the battery drain is huge on both .. somewhere around 20% per hour. I guess the hardware is a problem. Now thinking of uninstalling the 'Battery' app.
    08-25-2013 01:19 AM
    In my case it heats up on 3G and stays warm on 2G. Battery life in both cases is slightly different. No matter which mode but if I use an app say for eg. Whatsapp, the battery drain is huge on both .. somewhere around 20% per hour. I guess the hardware is a problem. Now thinking of uninstalling the 'Battery' app.

Update Time: Remived Battery App but installed Battery Monitor w/i voice .. Phone has been on 19% for the last 3 hrs with 2G network on, light surfing , couple of downloads done thru 3G and app says about 9 more hours to go ... very very confused, phone throws a curve ball...
    08-25-2013 04:45 AM
54 123