Poor Battery Life Since Amber Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Alright so here is something that should help you out, provided the drain isn't strictly because the feature drains lots of battery.

Press and hold volume down along with the power (lock screen) button on your phone, hold these down together until the phone powers off, it will vibrate, it usually takes about 15 seconds or so, it will power back up, and then see how it is for battery life after that :)

RiSbO_28

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
After Amber I am getting like 30 hours of moderate usage, wireless always on, 3g (no internet on 3g), 3 mail accounts sync, viber, a few calls and sms-es..
Today was the battery record.... 35 hours and 14% battery left. but it can drop for 20% in an hour if I play games or something like that...

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I think if your phone heat up there is probably some apps not closing properly.
I still have not received Amber so I can't comment much.

Question to all indian L920 owners, how many of you have had better battery since Amber.. I know its too soon to even ask about battery life.. Well to start off I had a soddy battery life with my yellow L920.. overheating draining u name it I had the problem.. Got it exchanged to a black L920, which settled down in abt 3 - 4 days and gave me 40 hrs of battery life on moderate use - typically defined as few phone calls, text's, music, browsing and lots of whatsapp ( hate it for the battery drain caused by it :eck: ) ...

Since the amber update on 15th .. i barely manage to get 26 hrs out of my phone on similar use.. same apps... Does amber need time to settle down.. coz I have seen post's where ppl have gone gaga about battery life since amber... Same app's, same useage .. forgot to mention 40 hrs on Edge pre amber to 26 hrs post amber on EDGE :unhappysweat: ..

any clues on what might be wrong :unhappy: .. Did do a soft reset after the update and always soft reset the phone after whats app update...

jills4824

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Anybody facing heating related issues with Lumia 920 ? .. I have a yellow one and from the beginning I am facing heating & battery issues exactly as mentioned by Kavita10 in her first post. To Kavita10 - how did you manage to get yours exchanged ?

I have a poor battery life of around 15-16 hours on 3G .. very moderate use few calls & whatsapp in background (no heavy use of whatsapp).

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
For me, I found out that my problem was the new feature "double-tap-to-wake". I disabled it and now my phone lasts a lot more than before Amber. And no more heating issues.

With the feature on, my phone was heating as soon as I was using it...

Edward Woodward1

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Why are you complaining? i havnt got amber yet, Im currently at 100% battery and have 18-21 hours remaining, as soon as i start using it moderatly, it says i have about 12 hours remaining. with all power saving options taken advantage of and brightness set too low.

nitin88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Let me explain mine.

First when I flashed my 920 with Amber, I have seen the similar battery results.
The battery was not lasting for long time.

Most of the background apps in disabled mode and not many apps installed after the flash. Though the battery was dying very fast.
I just observed one day and checked statistics and I am totally lost my mind.

So next day I flashed again the device, now I am installed apps and changed my settings and whoola now I am getting below results
1% drop out - standby mode [10pm to 7 am]
5% drop out with heavy messaging [10am to 6pm]
5% drop out per every 30mins-45mins if I use Wifi
Games like UNO, killing battery 15% per hour

Note: Yes, Glance and Peek are enabled. I don't enable background tasks for apps which I really don't need. I just enabled for Whatsapp and Insider. Rest all I don't need bgtasks

kavita10

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Let me explain mine.

First when I flashed my 920 with Amber, I have seen the similar battery results.
The battery was not lasting for long time.

Most of the background apps in disabled mode and not many apps installed after the flash. Though the battery was dying very fast.
I just observed one day and checked statistics and I am totally lost my mind.

So next day I flashed again the device, now I am installed apps and changed my settings and whoola now I am getting below results
1% drop out - standby mode [10pm to 7 am]
5% drop out with heavy messaging [10am to 6pm]
5% drop out per every 30mins-45mins if I use Wifi
Games like UNO, killing battery 15% per hour

Note: Yes, Glance and Peek are enabled. I don't enable background tasks for apps which I really don't need. I just enabled for Whatsapp and Insider. Rest all I don't need bgtasks

10 days after Amber update and many charging cycles later.. my device is no better.. After a full charge the battery says it will last 1 day 2 hrs.. Battery drain is never below 3% an hour with Edge network on.. Definitely bad after amber .. as the drain % was 1.5% pre update... Few things i did notice was - phone definitely heated less on 3G .. but playing games does make it hot.. Background tasks are off .. Hate Whatsapp coz thats been the one that eats up most battery across all platforms that I have been on.. Any one else with battery life issues post update... Yes camera definitely better since update - If i flash the device wont it hard reset... in that case is there a way I can back up all my songs, pics apps and then do a reset and restore like in android ?????

jills4824

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi kavita .. after updating to Amber my 920 is definitely heating less but it overheats like before if I use Whatsapp continuously (say for 15 mins at a stretch) .. or for eg. If I am browsing continuously. .... does this happen with your 920 ? .. You in your first post said that your first device was suffering from Heating & Battery issues .. can you please let me know how did you get it exchanged ?

I am using 3G.

Games make my 920 superhot & battery drain is around 20% per hour.

You can backup your songs/pics/videos by connecting your device to PC however Apps you will have to reinstall from store again (and all your achievements etc will be lost).

kavita10

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi kavita .. after updating to Amber my 920 is definitely heating less but it overheats like before if I use Whatsapp continuously (say for 15 mins at a stretch) .. or for eg. If I am browsing continuously. .... does this happen with your 920 ? .. You in your first post said that your first device was suffering from Heating & Battery issues .. can you please let me know how did you get it exchanged ?

I am using 3G.

Games make my 920 superhot & battery drain is around 20% per hour.

You can backup your songs/pics/videos by connecting your device to PC however Apps you will have to reinstall from store again (and all your achievements etc will be lost).

Hi Jill.. Had to reset my phone.and can now see the battery drain level to 2.5 during phone set up. did get warm on a 15 minute phone call post reset but i guess thats just the os trying to settle down.. .. how i stopped my last heating - well put the phone in airplane mode, opened all apps one by one and backed out of it.. know thats really silly but that took care of the heating ...

now waiting to see how has the reset helped my post amber :)

jills4824

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jill.. Had to reset my phone.and can now see the battery drain level to 2.5 during phone set up. did get warm on a 15 minute phone call post reset but i guess thats just the os trying to settle down.. .. how i stopped my last heating - well put the phone in airplane mode, opened all apps one by one and backed out of it.. know thats really silly but that took care of the heating ...

now waiting to see how has the reset helped my post amber :)

You mentioned that you exchanged your first device ? Or is it still the same ?

Good to learn that battery drain in your case has reduced. Mine is horrible & the heating too .. for eg. If I surf 6tag for say about 5 mins .. The device starts to super heat-up .. tried the same on Lumia 720 nothing happens. Something really wrong with my device.

kavita10

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
You mentioned that you exchanged your first device ? Or is it still the same ?

Good to learn that battery drain in your case has reduced. Mine is horrible & the heating too .. for eg. If I surf 6tag for say about 5 mins .. The device starts to super heat-up .. tried the same on Lumia 720 nothing happens. Something really wrong with my device.

My dad has a L720 and believe me he is on 3G all day and the device barely loses battery.. he still has about 50% when he is back home after being off charger for more than 14 hrs.. ya 14 hrs!!! .. welll now after reset can no longer see call blocker, lumia color profile, glance & peek :( ... my second device is driving me nuts

sision

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
My dad has a L720 and believe me he is on 3G all day and the device barely loses battery.. he still has about 50% when he is back home after being off charger for more than 14 hrs.. ya 14 hrs!!! .. welll now after reset can no longer see call blocker, lumia color profile, glance & peek :( ... my second device is driving me nuts

You have to update system apps to see call blocker and other features. It's not just your 920 my 620 after amber update has very poor battery life.

jills4824

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Yes pretty true Kavita, my friend has a 720 & his device shows no signs of heating on 3G or any kind of battery drain. Regarding Amber, I suggest all those who have installed the update to reset the device after taking proper backup of your data. I can confirm that after reset your device will perform much better. Kavita please update all your system apps, you can try this app 'SysApp Pusher' from store for updation of system apps.

Ok I can confirm that 920 will perform best on 2G & 4G networks with very limited battery drain or heating however with 3G the device will throw-up a lot of heat & battery drain will be huge. If I am not wrong then there is something wrong with the design of device. Infact I just came from Nokia Care Center asking for a replacement on which they have confirmed the above thing. :(

kavita10

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes pretty true Kavita, my friend has a 720 & his device shows no signs of heating on 3G or any kind of battery drain. Regarding Amber, I suggest all those who have installed the update to reset the device after taking proper backup of your data. I can confirm that after reset your device will perform much better. Kavita please update all your system apps, you can try this app 'SysApp Pusher' from store for updation of system apps.

Ok I can confirm that 920 will perform best on 2G & 4G networks with very limited battery drain or heating however with 3G the device will throw-up a lot of heat & battery drain will be huge. If I am not wrong then there is something wrong with the design of device. Infact I just came from Nokia Care Center asking for a replacement on which they have confirmed the above thing. :(

4G -- woaah - we Indian's are yet to get 4G here .. so am on 2G all time except for the time when I want to download - thats why I toggle to 3G :( .. Got SysApp Pusher ( silly me just forgot about it :excited: ).. 5 hrs off charger and probably calls of 45 mins duration later am on 89% with 2G data on and the battery meter says 1 day & 11 hrs to go .... so may be its got something to do with resetting ( which seems like mandatory - post amber update ) to fix it .. Lost my Xbox achievements :unhappysweat: but dont mind as long as phone is stable

Elton Jothi

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
damm my phone got bricked while trying to factory reset.., i just flashed it back to portico downloading the gdr2+amber now and perhaps would factory reset again lul...:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs