Nokia 520 device driver HELP

sunnydays123

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Nokia 520 3 days ago and was having issues with connecting it to my windows 7 PC and browsing the files. I posted the issue as a comment to here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...trouble-browsing-file-windows-8-phone-pc.html

in which I said:

"The device is showing in Devices and Printers, and it pops up and asks me what I want to do but none of the options work. No lock on phone. If I select:
-Manage media on your device
then windows media player opens and says device not found
-Import picture and videos
then it starts to import and then stops responding almost immediately (consistently)
-Browse files (which is REALLY what I want to do)
it opens but there is nothing inside, though I know I have music and books on a memory card in the phone. I can even play music on the phone but can't access it on the file browing. Also I cannot make any changes to the empty folder, like create a new folder inside it."

A person told me to turn the phone off and on while connected to the PC and I realized that it was having issues with correctly installing the device driver. I assume this is what's causing my problems.

Now the issue I have is that I can't find/correctly install the device driver.

I looked on the Nokia website but they were no help. Then I tried this tutorial Windows Phone 8 is not detected by your computer about updating the driver. But all it says is that I already have the latest version installed, while with a yellow ! triangle on the device that says its messed up somehow. When I open the device properties it says :This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Now I still can open the file to the phone from mycomputer but its still blank. And my options when I click on the phone is just "get the windows app" and "find out more what you can do"

Please help!!!!

sunnydays123

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded it. I would prefer to just access my files through file browing, but I guess at this point I will use software... it sppears to have installed the driver correctly but the phone folder is still blank and the windows phone app says my phone is locked even though it is not.

????????????

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I had to manually install the driver for Windows 7 from Microsofts website.. Withou that i could only see the phone via the desktop app.

You unninstall the driver in the device manager, then after downloading it manually do a "scan for hardware changes", then chose the option to manually install the driver and find the one you just downloaded. Do it for all the places your phone appears in device manager.

sunnydays123

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I just tried EVERYTHING and nothing is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really had better expectation for windows. Seriously, I JUST WANT TO READ SOME BOOKS. I've never had a more frustrating piece of electronics.

sunnydays123

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I am so disappointed in windows. I initially thought this phone was pretty good and the bad rep was jsut talk, but this is just ridiculous. The desktop app stuff doesnt work. It says my phone is locked even though it isn't. I DON'T EVEN WANT TO USE THE DESKTOP APP. I just want to browse files like its a storage drive, because I know the stupid syncing software will be crap anyways. IS THIS SO MUCH TO ASK???? The device driver is correctly installed (or so it says). When I open the file it is blank and I cannot do anything. WHAT IS THE ISSUE HERE. I can't even find an official support chat or a number to call or something. do you not value customers at all, microsoft?

sunnydays123

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
SO a summary of my experience so far:
-connected phone, could not open folders inside it because it was blank.
-restarted phone and computer
-downloaded windows phone app, didn't work.
-tried a tutorial about reinstalling the device driver, didnt' work.
-manually installed the device driver, uninstalled the old one and manually replaced it, it told me "already up to date"
-restarted computer and phone.

imgur: the simple image sharer -> blank folder, note the lack of ability to make a new folder or make any changes to it
imgur: the simple image sharer -> the stupid app not working. My phone is not locked.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
If you want that for the books, you can download BookViser, it can download books from Skydrive. So you upload your .epub to Skydrive and then download it on the phone from the Book Viser..

sunnydays123

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
tried, doesnt work with kindle files. the kindle app doesnt let me maually open files not in a specific folder. there are books on that micro SD card, I just cant open it. Also I would like a long term solution to my problem. I want books now but who knows? maybe in the future I will need to access music. Or movies. The possibilities are endless, only if the damn thing works like its supposed to.

panu123

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm having similar problem. Earlier today the windows phone (Lumia 520) was working ok, I could connect with USB and transfer files. But 1 hour ago I was in a hurry to go and just removed the USB cable without "safely removing". Now I am having the "Code 10" "Needs Troubleshooting" issue. The composite device and two COM endpoints on the phone are still working but the MTP endpoint to transfer files is the one that says that "the device driver cannot start".

I tried to access the phone with the "Windows Phone App" for desktop, thinking that perhaps the engineers who wrote that software have some real way of communicating with the device instead of relying on the MTP class, but no, it seems that when Windows cannot access the phone, the "Windows Phone App" also cannot access it. At least I can still upload the photos in the phone to SkyDrive one by one. I'm 8000 kilometers away from home and I really want to save those pictures. Hopefully I can also find a way to save the video clips.

-Panu

panu123

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Wow. I'm not sure what happened but now it's working again. I powered down the phone and laptop, after that there was still the same error. I took the time to upload my photos to SkyDrive. Tried the "Windows Phone App" again. And then ran the troubleshooter from the "Devices and Printers" again, and it updated the driver again (after already doing it once during the same day). But the second time, to my surprise, it showed the result: "Fixed". And now I can access the phone files and SD card files again with the PC.

So for me it's working again, which is great! Although I'm wondering what might have happened. Could the thing be so smart that it might have somehow fixed itself in the background. Or was it "just one of those glitches" that can happen in a PC that might have prevented the device driver to be updated the first time I tried? Or could it be something so simple as a bad USB cable? The one I'm using seems a little loose.

-Panu

Last edited:

Gareth Jones1

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully this thread is still active, I'm having the same problem in connecting my recently purchased 520 to my windows 7 PC. I've tried everything mentioned on this forum and stuff I've seen on the net and nothing works.

I keep getting the 'MTP USB device failed' whenever I connect the phone to the PC. I downloaded the windows phone usb driver stated on the microsoft support site, it has no effect. Installed the windows phone app for dekstop and the nokia suite, still no luck. Installed an MTP porting kit from microsoft and a nokia usb driver, still not working. Nothing shows up in the device manager when the phone is connected, not even 'unknown device'. Nothing on the microsoft or nokia sites works. I just want to put music on the damn phone! If anyone can suggest something that worked for them I'd be grateful.

Gareth Jones1

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I tried as many steps as I could, it doesn't show up anywhere on the computer. I've twice downloaded the winusb driver and it makes no difference. I'm completely stumped. The nokia 'help' team are no help either. I think I need to install a bunch of drivers or something, I've never had any trouble with new devices before.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Then it must be something other wrong with your Windows 7, I would do a reinstall.. On my friends Win 7 no drivers were needed, i just plugged my phone and it showed up in my computer..

Gareth Jones1

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
You mean run the recovery disc? I'm not sure I have the stuff to reinstall windows7 but I have the recovery disks. I'd prefer not to do that as it would obviously wipe the computer back to factory settings.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Reinstall would be better, if you never done it ask someone who has. Obviously backup everything you need from your C partition. Install itself is no longer then 15, 20 minutes..
Also maybe you have some firewall or something blocking your phone or that driver. I just can't figure out why it doesn't work with that driver?

Mark Scott Kennedy

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I had a nightmare with my lumia 520, the problem was i kept getting a failed to install drivers message when i connected it to my pc, after searching on the net for ages for a fix or a download i was left with nothing. Luckily i found a fix myself and thought i would share it as it may help some one else.... ok 1. click on your windows symbol (bottom left) 2.where it says search programmes and files type in driver then press enter.4. you now have a list, scroll down to portable devices and click on that. 5.your device name will now be listed, right click on it and choose uninstall.6.:amaze: once uninstalled, just connect your phone via usb again to your pc and it will re install the drivers correctly.:amaze:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb