Nokia 925 Signal dropping and not allowing calls unless restarted/reset using airplane mode

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem with Lumia 820. It's very annoying, but there's a solution for. Maybe software or hardware (bad motherboard, bad connections, broken anthena) problem, I suggest you send it to Nokia Care.

Lumias (all them) have a very good signal capacity, so if you have problems with that (like I did with Lumia 820), there's a problem and need to be fixed.

mutunekk

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes the Black updated fixed the issue!!! its amazing to finally have a working phone...

But honestly im both surprised and disappointed with Nokia. Why release a phone with buggy software then take almost a year to fix it? its a joke and they are messing up their equity and with that gone, they will have nothing left!

Swiss7599

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Got mine recently and I've noticed the same issue. Also the thing heats up like hell at the top part when I use Whatsapp and the battery drains quicker than expected. Must be the processor working over time to find a connection.

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
The problem for the 925 can be fixed by changing WiFi calling to WiFi prefered and just turning WiFi calling on only when you need it. Cellular prefered caused all the problems for me

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
925 poor signal. Any update yet?

I have one of these and it's a lovely phone, but unusable as the signal is really poor. It moves from 2 bars to no service and is just not usable. Did anyone ever find out the cause of this ? I'm tempted to replace the bottom antenna assembly as it's so cheap to purchase in the UK, but before I start, I'm just wondering if this problem was ever acknowledged and/or rectified.

I'm happy to report I have my trusty 920 as a back up :)

Last edited:

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: 925 poor signal. Any update yet?

Ok, as it is extremely frustrating when people post and then don't come back to update others facing the same issue, I thought I'd update: A quick Google search will reveal there are MANY people with reception problems on the 925, so rather than tackle the job myself with new parts, I sent it in to Nokia for a warranty repair......

Having just checked the log on their web portal, it states 'Fully tested. No fault found'. REALLY ??? I live in an area surrounded by THREE major towns. We even have a new mast in our village and I still suffer from crap reception. My 920 is always in healthy reception, as is every other phone in our house with a Vodafone sim. Yet, this 925 reception can only be described as terrible.

So, I guess Nokia have NOT acknowledged this issue, therefore they won't be rectifying it. Not happy for the first time ever in my Windows Phone experience.

What should I do next? No doubt they've tested it on the bench but I bet they haven't field tested it in the real world. This issue is driving me mad. There is nowhere on their web portal for me to challenge their findings, and they don't make it easy to contact them via phone. I just know it's coming back to be an expensive paperweight.

rovada

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

I have experienced the same problem. From full signal it drops to nill during calls. Also it shows "G" next to signal bar. Frustrating at times. Was thinking 8.1 will address it, but still facing the same. Any one knows the root cause?

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

I have experienced the same problem. From full signal it drops to nill during calls. Also it shows "G" next to signal bar. Frustrating at times. Was thinking 8.1 will address it, but still facing the same. Any one knows the root cause?

Hi Rovada,

Personally, I'd send yours back to Nokia. I'll be (hopefully) on the phone to them first thing in the morning. Nokia repairs here in the UK are handled by a group called Anovo, and these devices are covered by a TWO year warranty. I don't know how it works where you are, but surely it's still ander warranty? As I have a 920 also, I will just keep returning the 925 until they either repair it, or replace it.

I've checked the logs today and it reports the following:

02/08/2014 08:16:25
Note
NFF-No Fault Found fully tested device work properly
03/08/2014 07:51:03
Flash Pass
03/08/2014 09:52:46
RF Test Fail

Am now wondering if I jumped up and down too soon :shocked:

This does sound a bit more promising, and not just a figment of our imaginations but I'll sit tight and see what they discover next. Get yours sent back if you can live without it for the time being. I will (of course) update as and when things become clearer.

Last edited:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

A quick Google search will reveal there are MANY people with reception problems on the 925, so rather than tackle the job myself with new parts, I sent it in to Nokia for a warranty repair......

Try "Samsung S5 signal problems" or "Iphone signal problems". You will find a LOT of people complaint about it, despite the device.

Lumia 925 have a very good antenna system, just like the bests. So if you are experiencing problems, you should try Nokia Care. Usually this is a software problem, but hard reset can't solve it. Maybe it's just a very bad coverage area too. You need to compare with other devices.

ULOP3Z

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

Try "Samsung S5 signal problems" or "Iphone signal problems". You will find a LOT of people complaint about it, despite the device.

Lumia 925 have a very good antenna system, just like the bests. So if you are experiencing problems, you should try Nokia Care. Usually this is a software problem, but hard reset can't solve it. Maybe it's just a very bad coverage area too. You need to compare with other devices.

He said he has other phones in his household that work fine on the same network, I also have other phones in my household that work fine on the same network but my 925 occasionally drops signal also, I've also had a 521 that never dropped a signal so its definitely the 925 with the problem and not the network, I just don't like it when people try to dismiss problems by saying every other phone has the same problem too

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

He said he has other phones in his household that work fine on the same network, I also have other phones in my household that work fine on the same network but my 925 occasionally drops signal also, I've also had a 521 that never dropped a signal so its definitely the 925 with the problem and not the network, I just don't like it when people try to dismiss problems by saying every other phone has the same problem too

There is not much I can do if you are not able to understand that this is a defect - I don't say it isn't - and ALL brands have it. Not only Lumia 925. Not only Nokia.

Face it. Your Lumia 925 have a problem. Not THE Lumia 925. It's not a factory issue which affects all Lumia 925 in the world. Just a small percentage, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER BRAND (Samsung, Iphone, LG, HTC, etc). It's inherent. If you google it, you will find a LOT OF RESULTS with ANY DEVICE.

My GF have a Iphone 5S and can't send any SMS a months now. So I should think there's a issue with Iphone design or her Iphone have a problem? Because if I google it, I will find a LOOOOOOOT of people with the very issue.

ULOP3Z

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

There is not much I can do if you are not able to understand that this is a defect - I don't say it isn't - and ALL brands have it. Not only Lumia 925. Not only Nokia.

Face it. Your Lumia 925 have a problem. Not THE Lumia 925. It's not a factory issue which affects all Lumia 925 in the world. Just a small percentage, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER BRAND (Samsung, Iphone, LG, HTC, etc). It's inherent. If you google it, you will find a LOT OF RESULTS with ANY DEVICE.

My GF have a Iphone 5S and can't send any SMS a months now. So I should think there's a issue with Iphone design or her Iphone have a problem? Because if I google it, I will find a LOOOOOOOT of people with the very issue.

So the OP sent in his phone and Nokia found nothing wrong with it? It's ok to have negative feedback, you know because that's how the company learns from it's mistakes, but when people try to pass of the problem it never gets fixed! Think about it that's what you're doing

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

So the OP sent in his phone and Nokia found nothing wrong with it? It's ok to have negative feedback, you know because that's how the company learns from it's mistakes, but when people try to pass of the problem it never gets fixed! Think about it that's what you're doing

Ulop3z, in srussell68's case, Nokia is wrong. The device have a problem and need to be fixed! I agree with that.

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Hi all. As it stands today, the log status states 'Repaired'.

It appears the phone went to a different workbench for further testing, and the bottom flex was replaced. It does appear to be a common problem on these devices, but the lolvely lady I spoke to on the phone said the updates we receive via Nokia Care web portal are really not meant for customers, but internal departments to comm with each other. It's just concerning that we don't get the full picture and we see the 'techie talk' updates.

Yes, whilst I acknowledge that many Samsung and iphone users suffer the same issues, there is enough evidence to suggest something needs changing in the construction procedure, as I'm also seeing many users of the Lumia 1520 also having similar issues.

One frustrating experience is definitely NOT enough to steer me away from Lumia phones.They are amazing devices and our household has had at least 15 of them in different variations. In all that time of ownership, all we've had wrong is a power issue on a 620 (rectified under warranty in 3 days) and this faulty 925. I should point out that my partners' 920 glance screen is fuzzy and doesn't work as it should, but Nokia have already confirmed to us it's a warranty repair, so when the 925 comes back, her 920 will be sent in for repair at our leisure as the warranty expires in 2015.

The online web portal should be updated for consumers to understand, as, in my personal experience, it has led to a great deal of stress and confusion. Now, I just know I'm not alone in that one.

I'll await delivery of the device before declaring it a fix. :smile:

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

I think this is not a phone issue. This is a carrier issue. I'm from Philippines and reception of 3G/4G here is not the best. Anyway, I got an opportunity to travel to Japan and viola! Signal strength is always full bar almost in any places I go... even in a subway station 6 stories deep (no joking). At least for me this is what I think.

farhanmariz

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

My 925's signal is a bit on the low side too, but nothing major has ever happened. But it's so tempting to send the phone for a check/repair. Gonna wait for your update anyhow. :)

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Hi all, I got the phone back yesterday and anxiously put my sim in........... Fixed!! Finally!! :smile:

All the places I was getting zero signal, I'm happy to report I have a signal. Even if reception drops to only one bar, call clarity is superb.

In this case, it was 100% a hardware issue. The fault was in the small board attached to the bottom flex, which sits under the main antenna/speaker housing at the bottom of the device. As with most mobile phone parts, it's held in place by double-sided tape. If you're a bit of an adventurer, this part is very cheap online and relatively easy to replace. (There's a nice vid on youtube showing this)

I would urge anyone not happy with their reception AND you are getting better reception from the same sim on other devices, send your phone to Nokia Care. All 925's should still be under warranty unless you've invalidated it somehow. :eek:rly:

I hope this helps someone :smile:

StinkyMojo

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

In this case, it was 100% a hardware issue. The fault was in the small board attached to the bottom flex, which sits under the main antenna/speaker housing at the bottom of the device. As with most mobile phone parts, it's held in place by double-sided tape. If you're a bit of an adventurer, this part is very cheap online and relatively easy to replace. (There's a nice vid on youtube showing this)

Do you have links to the part and youtube video?

Thanks!

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

I think this is not a phone issue. This is a carrier issue. I'm from Philippines and reception of 3G/4G here is not the best. Anyway, I got an opportunity to travel to Japan and viola! Signal strength is always full bar almost in any places I go... even in a subway station 6 stories deep (no joking). At least for me this is what I think.

In this case, it's was a specific device hardware issue. The person had another phone sitting next to it, on the same carrier, that had better and stable service, while the 925 sitting there was low service and dropping service alltogether.

It would be an entirely different story if both phones were dropping service when he was home, but both working just fine when he went to town.

alacrityvirtue

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

I have replaced my sim and my reception is still substandard, I will contact Microsoft on Monday and see what they say.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb