Using Lumia 1020 as GPS?

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I use my Lumia 920 for GPS when going places with HERE Drive+ app. I went into the mountains for a hike and had no data/reception whatsoever, BUT the GPS worked like a charm. It knew exactly where I was and took me out of a seemingly random canyon road

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
the offline is great, traveled to canada no data, still able to navigate around toronto with data.

i still use my garmin in my car so i dont have ot use battery, here drive still lacks some basic displays

mylfx

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Good to know. So u used CoPilot in Canada? Just planned a trip to toronto. Do I need to get a separate GPS or just use CoPilot? Thanks!

Brad Spry

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I used the HERE Maps and Drive+ for the first time on a off the beaten trail drive. It really did beyond well, I was really quite surprised. Used it yesterday in an unfamiliar town, it did great there too. I guess it's totally free, I'm pretty happy about it. A totally unexpected thing about my new phone. Got the English (UK) female voice downloaded, I'm all set :smile:

mylfx

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. Is it easy to use Drive+ for long distance travel? (Drive+ seems not to have lane assistance. Not sure if it's easy to use in such conditions. I've always used Garmin on hwys with lane assistance).

Chip O

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got back from a 3 weeks European vacation.
During that time, we drove over 3000 miles and we covered 6 countries. How did we get around? A Nokia 920 in airplane mode.

I took the SIM out and downloaded all the maps before I left the States and the phone performed flawlessly. It did not always find POIs without an address but that was fairly rare and once in a WiFi area all I had to do is get an address for that said POI and all was great. It got us everywhere we wanted to go and the speed limit feature was extremely accurate too. Saved my **** a few times! The screen was viewable from any angle and sun did not seem to be a problem either.

Here is something I found out: the car charger (at least mine) did not have the power to charge the phone while being used as a GPS (sometimes with screen on for 5 to 6 hours in a row) but it had no problem keeping it charged. With that said, I had to make sure I charge the phone over night for the next day. I once left with a dead phone and it did not have enough juice to both charge and provide juice for screen and HERE Drive.

I was actually so impressed with the little yellow 920 that once I got back from vacation I wiped out all the apps from the phone and kept only my music, Spottify (downloaded for off line use) and HERE drive. Oh... and the Speedometer app just cause it's cool.

That phone is now always in the car and it's used exclusively as a GPS and music player via Bluetooth.

It's worked well for me so far.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the HERE Maps and Drive + which work really good but has anyone run into an issue where it frequently asks you to calibrate the compass by moving the phone in a figure 8 formation. It's starting to really bug me that I have to keep calibrating it.

IMStrugglin

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Here! Drive+ is freaking awesome. Just got back from Costa Rica and drove from San Jose to Puerto Viejo (had the 900 at the time). Downloaded the maps for Costa Rica and Panama and worked better than the GPS the rental agency gave us. I mean WAY better. It even had the grass roads listed. My wifes iPhone 5 didn't even work...lol. Kept losing signal, missed roads, etc. Lumia 900 > iPhone 5.

IMStrugglin

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the HERE Maps and Drive + which work really good but has anyone run into an issue where it frequently asks you to calibrate the compass by moving the phone in a figure 8 formation. It's starting to really bug me that I have to keep calibrating it.

I have not ran into this yet. It did pop up once but went away. I figured it was due to just coming out of the house and corrected itself.

a teo

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi, how do you keep the Nokia battery from total drain while the GPS is running for hours. I have a Lumia 1020, even while being charged with a (2.1A) car charger, the GPS drains the battery flat in 3.5hours and I couldn't continue with my journey !! had to resort to paper maps.. ( all settings have been thoroughly checked and nothing running in the background ). This is inconvenient and disappointing . I never had such problem with my old pureview 808 ..

AlanTeew

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I also had this problem...I was using Waze to drive from Boston to Philadelphia. The app was just amazing, but my phone drained very quickly. I think the heat from being on the sunny dashboard was a big contributor.
Hi, how do you keep the Nokia battery from total drain while the GPS is running for hours. I have a Lumia 1020, even while being charged with a (2.1A) car charger, the GPS drains the battery flat in 3.5hours and I couldn't continue with my journey !! had to resort to paper maps.. ( all settings have been thoroughly checked and nothing running in the background ). This is inconvenient and disappointing . I never had such problem with my old pureview 808 ..

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss