920's camera is good? Why am I not seeing this?

FishirOne

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys, i don't mean to have a bad attitude but I'm trying to understand the reason of the hype on the 920's camera. Some people saying that it is the best camera on smartphones.

I've had my L920 for 3 months now and for the life of me, i'm just not feeling that top of the line camera. My brothers have a galaxy s4 and the other has an iphone 5. The resolution feels alot better than my camera. As well it feels like their pictures are much morr vibtant than mine. Especially the coloirs.

My question is, am i doing something wrong? I'm pretty new to playing around in the settings of pictures.

So i just wanna know why is my camera better than most other cameras.

Help me love my L920 more!

Thanks in advance.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I felt the same way at first, but then you learn how to use it and it can take some pretty awesome shots, however I still feel like it could really use that GDR2 update, buy basically you can press the camera button in half way to get it to focus properly first, and once you're pressing and holding the focus in then fully press to take the shot :)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The camera on the 920 is good in daylight but it shines in low light conditions - so anything after sunset. Saturation in any picture isn't the king - the goal is to capture what you see in front of you, not oversaturate it. If you click my sig you'll be taken to a guide all about how to get the most out of your phone's camera. Hope that helps!

MaxPower203

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the hype is not warranted on the 920's camera if you look at it as a point and shoot. You have to tweak the settings in order to get a halfway decent daylight shot. To it's credit, at least the settings are there to tweak.

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
So i guess it's not the best camera. The S4 and the iphone 5 out do it?

Absolutely not. The Lumia 920's camera doesn't oversaturate shots like Samsung's cameras typically do, but this is intentional - the camera is intended to accurately capture images. The Galaxy S4 certainly takes higher resolution photos, but that alone doesn't make them "better" in any sense.

The GS4 technically has the potential to support digital zoom with less loss of quality, but it lacks any sort of hardware image stabilization which can make taking shots stable enough to be zoomed in on quite difficult.

In general, the Lumia 920's camera is completely superior to the iPhone 5's; I can't think of times when the iPhone 5 would come out on top.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
?
Its the best smartphone camera for me. Nothing comes close. IPhone and S4s tend to over saturate their colors. That's eye candy but not realism, you can see that on online comparisons.
The OIS CAN do a better job though but GDR2 should improve sharpness. Not sure what you are talking about here. Not to mention video! Ip5 and S4 don't come close!
You have the best camera housed under a 1cm shell see comparisons online and read some tutorials on easy settings.

emceepee

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
try to capture the a city sky at night with low light. The flash should be turned off. or try apps like camera 360, photosynth, etc. i think its the best cam phone.:amaze:

Andraz Podjaversek

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
If you seriously think iphone takes better pictures, then you proboably have a faulty camera... could you post some samples ?
even the s4 is outperformed sometimes by the camera on lumia 920, check the video ;) (personaly i dont like samsung cameras because they all have some kind of warm yellowish tint)

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Bear in mind there aren't that many vibrant colours in the world... In reality most colours aren't as vibrant as most phone cameras make out. That said, when the colours actually are vibrant the 920 will capture them well.

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
The 920 is a very good camera, imo. I've dropped using point and shoots, and yes after GDR 2 & 3. It has gotten better, I'll often have a picture shoot-out with people that use other phones and win most of the time. Can't beat the 5s (except at night) or Lumia 1020:)

Currently I'm using the Nokia Camera app as the default as it provides better flexibility to fine tune, although it seems to take an extra second or two to load. Give that app/lense a try.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb