10-19-2013 10:19 AM
1,126 ... 2526272829 ...
tools
    att still says they are testing, nokia says that it is completely in at&t's hands

Kristina
    yes, that is correct. Q3 ends tonight. We expect the update to roll out on all Lumia devices with Windows Phone 8. However, if the operator has yet to approve it within Q3, we cannot do anything about it but wait for them to approve it.

AT&T
    G:
    is there an expected release
    G: and with this delay does that mean we can expect the same delay from gdr3?
    Patricia Melvin: There is no expected release date at this time. As for the next update, I cannot comment as it is in the future and it is hard to tell
    09-30-2013 10:32 AM
    AT&T just told me that Nokia never sent them an update for the 820. This after AT&T told me they were testing it.

Now speaking with a supervisor.
    fpostrow, JackG058, dznk and 2 others like this.
    09-30-2013 10:33 AM
    So, what happens (on WPCentral) when the ball drops at midnight tonight?
    09-30-2013 10:38 AM
    AT&T just told me that Nokia never sent them an update for the 820. This after AT&T told me they were testing it.

Now speaking with a supervisor.
    Thank you.
    fpostrow likes this.
    09-30-2013 10:52 AM
    Just jumped on tech support chat. After i stated my issue there was a 5 minute pause. After that I got reduced canned responses. It was like she wasn't even trying...

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.

Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Laia Tunu'

Laia Tunu: Good morning!!! How are you today?

ME: Ok

Laia Tunu: How can I help you today?

ME: Being the last day of September, I am wondering about the GDR2+Amber update for the Lumia 920.

ME: I am a little irritated by the fact that I can't get anyone to give my any reason besides testing. I bought a "flagship" phone and yet can't even get a incrimental update for it because AT&T has yet to release it.

Laia Tunu: Let me pull up your account first.

ME: ok

Laia Tunu: Thank you for waiting

Laia Tunu: I'm sorry as of this moment we don't have any updates.

ME: There is no explanation for the hold up?

Laia Tunu: I'm sorry just that confirm from our resources

ME: So the Lumia series is not a priority? Being that every other carrier has already released this update.

Laia Tunu: I'm sorry, If its release they will let us know. But as of now we don't have any update for Nokia

ME: Well, this has been less than helpful and the same canned responses that your company has been giving for months.
    09-30-2013 10:55 AM
    I have some more updates. I'll post some snippets of the chat with the supervisor in a bit. I need to shower and slam my head into the wall. That said, the supervisor was the most helpful. No canned responses, and she called Nokia for it.
    Idan Cohen, fpostrow and JackG058 like this.
    09-30-2013 10:59 AM
    And, here's a nice petition to break up the telecommunications companies:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...anies/drRXMvx3
    09-30-2013 11:08 AM
    On phone with Nokia. So far, very unhelpful.
    fpostrow and paulxxwall like this.
    09-30-2013 11:11 AM
    After this nightmare, i believe lots of at&t user will choose the unbranded phones
    paulxxwall likes this.
    09-30-2013 11:11 AM
    I got a little over a year left on my contract, and as soon as it is up good bye AT&T.
    paulxxwall and unstoppablekem like this.
    09-30-2013 11:17 AM
    On hold, but here's my theory based on the chats so far:

Nokia messed up and pushed it to AT&T late.

AT&T is probably late because of that but also because of Data Sense.

Nokia is now investigating the "end of September" remark. CS Rep tried to debate language used with me.

Transferred to a new department.

Current time wasted: My entire morning.
    09-30-2013 11:28 AM
    I got a little over a year left on my contract, and as soon as it is up good bye AT&T.
    Wish I could. I on a big business plan. :(
    09-30-2013 11:28 AM

Nokia messed up and pushed it to AT&T late.

AT&T is probably late because of that but also because of Data Sense.

Nokia is now investigating the "end of September" remark. CS Rep tried to debate language used with me.

Transferred to a new department.

Current time wasted: My entire morning.
    How I hope it will come out today.
    09-30-2013 11:29 AM
    I'm not holding my breath. ~_~
    09-30-2013 11:32 AM
    That petition seems heavy-handed and overly broad for the summary provided. It's never going to happen, so it's a waste of a petition.

What people should be demanding is that service providers be disconnected completely from the devices they offer. That would mean they can't install garbage custom software, or be selective about updates, or anything like that. Clearly they need to test and approve updates, but that should be obligated to approve those updates in a timely manner. Either that, or make the device maker responsible for the testing and remove the service providers completely from the process. Optimum or Verizon doesn't need to test your PC or Mac when updates are released; it should be the same with our phones.

Allowing service providers to do any of this is a conflict of interest because they can manipulate their userbase. Clearly, AT&T disables Data Sense so that users are more likely to exceed caps. And they're clearly trying to speed up obsolescence so that consumers upgrade their phones prematurely.

A petition like that is an easier sell to your average politician because it doesn't harm the bottom line of these big companies, but it makes them look like they're being productive.
    09-30-2013 11:33 AM

Lumia Amber update roll-out starts - Nokia Support Discussions

"The roll-out starts now first for the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 in selected countries as well as Lumia 521, Lumia 810, and Lumia 928 in the US. Exact delivery timings will vary by region, model and operator, but we expect the update to reach your Lumia 520, Lumia 620, Lumia 720, Lumia 820 or Lumia 920 by the end of September."

Honestly the lack of US ATT 920 being referenced anywhere in their statements has been worrisome from the beginning. As has the lack of any date specifically being confirmed by ATT. I think we all assume this is ATT motivating customers to buy new models and extend contracts rather than update their current phone which works great. They can dance around it as much as they want but in the end we can all clearly see that GDR2/Amber won't be out for some time and that very clearly puts into doubt what will happen with GDR3.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    09-30-2013 11:34 AM
    After this nightmare, i believe lots of at&t user will choose the unbranded phones
    Branded or unbranded, as long as a user is on At&t with a Lumia 920, they're not getting the update from At&t. Does Nokia roll out updates to the unbranded 920's themselves regardless of carrier?

Unbranded in some cases is asking for more trouble. Look at my Dell Venue Pro... a phone that Dell abandoned any support for after a year (including official updates) and that Tmobile wouldn't support because it was unbranded and not sold by them.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    09-30-2013 11:48 AM
    This is starting to remind me of when I was waiting on the ICS update for my Atrix 4G. Then they finally just dropped it all together. I love my L920 and there is no way I will update to a new phone just to have Amber. Seriously thinking of dropping ATT all together once our contract is up.
    zsgray86, fpostrow and ajj3085 like this.
    09-30-2013 12:04 PM
    I'm gonna start a live chat with Nokia support... just because I'm bored.. and even though I have the 1020 now, I still have my 920 that needs the update.
    pearland08 likes this.
    09-30-2013 12:05 PM
    I'm ignorant about how updates work. That being said, I have friends that updated their iPhones to the latest system update which just came out. How is that possible when the WP update has been out for so long but not available for AT&T 920?
    09-30-2013 12:10 PM
    Here is my chat with AT&T:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Okay, I just spent 30 minutes with Nokia and let me say the results were not good. They want us to wait. The rep claimed that they meant the updates would be pushed to the carriers by the 30th. That is definitely NOT what that language says on the Conversations site. They offered to do a conference call between the three of us, but by that point I was really fed up.

At the end of it? I'm actually more pissed with Nokia than I am with AT&T.
    dznk, iboypx, irvin792 and 2 others like this.
    09-30-2013 12:18 PM
    Here is my chat with AT&T:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Okay, I just spent 30 minutes with Nokia and let me say the results were not good. They want us to wait. The rep claimed that they meant the updates would be pushed to the carriers by the 30th. That is definitely NOT what that language says on the Conversations site. They offered to do a conference call between the three of us, but by that point I was really fed up.

At the end of it? I'm actually more pissed with Nokia than I am with AT&T.
    wow, kudos to Freda and her helpfulness, this sucks.
    tapehead likes this.
    09-30-2013 12:42 PM
    Not that this makes it better for anyone or is an excuse, but here is an explaination in my opinion of whats going on.

1. Nokia said it would roll out GDR2/Amber for all Lumia devices by Sept, 30th, and technically they have, some were rolled out directly to devices and some to the Carrier for distribution. So technically they have met their deadline for all devices.

2. The biggest reason AT&T is holding back is not for ANY TESTING purposes. The reason other US carriers have rolled the update is that they do not have a more current model WP8 Nokia device that is in competition with an older Lumia device. AT&T is the only carrier with the latest model Lumia, from a business stand point, if rolling out the update means that as few a 1 person doesnt use an upgrade to go from a 920 to a 1020 and extend their contract, they are going to hold off on the update if even roll it out at all. Unfortunately we live in a world where instant profit for share holders takes the cake over practices that value building long term customer relationships.

3. I am not on their side, its still terrible user support IMO and I hate it as much as everyone else does.

Just think of this, if VZW released a 1028 after the 928, you think the 928 would get GDR2/Amber............NO WAY, VZW is far worse than AT&T as far as software support for non current release devices.

P.S. for all those "Im out when my contract is up" people. A word of advice from someone who has had service from al 4 major US carriers as well as worked for T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T, all them suck, its about picking the one that sucks the least. They are all out to make money and will always place that before device software support. There are FAR to many "Dumb" customers that are fine with what they get and dont understand having support as far as software updates like we do here on the WP forums.
    09-30-2013 12:50 PM
    This is the truth, and it's an unfortunate truth that has me eyeing a cheap Nexus 4 when I get a chance to get one. I hate carrying two devices, but Microsoft really leaves us with no choice while they twiddle and sit on their thumbs when all this stuff is happening. Instead of promising early update programs and smoke and mirror promises, why don't they just get it set up and ready first, actually act on what they say they'll do, and THEN start delivering promises that have actual evidence of possibly coming true lol

Not that this makes it better for anyone or is an excuse, but here is an explaination in my opinion of whats going on.

1. Nokia said it would roll out GDR2/Amber for all Lumia devices by Sept, 30th, and technically they have, some were rolled out directly to devices and some to the Carrier for distribution. So technically they have met their deadline for all devices.

2. The biggest reason AT&T is holding back is not for ANY TESTING purposes. The reason other US carriers have rolled the update is that they do not have a more current model WP8 Nokia device that is in competition with an older Lumia device. AT&T is the only carrier with the latest model Lumia, from a business stand point, if rolling out the update means that as few a 1 person doesnt use an upgrade to go from a 920 to a 1020 and extend their contract, they are going to hold off on the update if even roll it out at all. Unfortunately we live in a world where instant profit for share holders takes the cake over practices that value building long term customer relationships.

3. I am not on their side, its still terrible user support IMO and I hate it as much as everyone else does.

Just think of this, if VZW released a 1028 after the 928, you think the 928 would get GDR2/Amber............NO WAY, VZW is far worse than AT&T as far as software support for non current release devices.

P.S. for all those "Im out when my contract is up" people. A word of advice from someone who has had service from al 4 major US carriers as well as worked for T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T, all them suck, its about picking the one that sucks the least. They are all out to make money and will always place that before device software support. There are FAR to many "Dumb" customers that are fine with what they get and dont understand having support as far as software updates like we do here on the WP forums.
    09-30-2013 01:04 PM
    I expect this crap from the carrier, but I didn't expect it from Nokia. Really disappointing.
    irvin792 likes this.
    09-30-2013 01:09 PM
1,126 ... 2526272829 ...