Did AT&T forget about us?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I flashed the Rogers on Friday. So far so good. Bad news is there is no way to go back to AT&T firmware at the moment. Even the things mentioned in the xda forum don't work. I tried most of Friday, testing through trial and error and once you go over to rm-821 and this is an rm-820 I couldn't go back.

Exactly. People's impatience with AT&Ts delays are potentially causing a bunch of quite serious issues for people down the road. Not sure how the warranty works in that state!

Best thing for most people is to hang in there and wait until AT&T approve the update.

Sucks, but let's face it, while it's nice to have the latest, GDR2 brings little. Amber brings some nice things we all want for sure, but not things we have to have today.

loveleo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I also switched carriers on Friday. Waiting on UPS to deliver my sim card today so I can activate on T-Mobile's network. Was with AT&T probably ten years and I'm done with them. Not so much because of this update but because of their strong arm tactics when it comes to billing.
Which rom did you flash after the french one? The ATT dev rom or the europe dev rom? Reading right now which one is better to use on T-mobile or T-mobile mvno like ptel or lycamobile.

Luckily I sent in the lumia 920 to nokia to have the front camera dust issue permanently fixed before this rom flash so I am not too worried about warranty since right now the phone seems to be functioning ok with sometime overheating and hang but manageable.

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
At the end of it? I'm actually more pissed with Nokia than I am with AT&T.

Sound more like a game of "pass the buck" than it does anything else. The only reason I could see Nokia having to address any issues with the updates is if AT&T trashed something when they were trying to pull out DataSense or something like that.

But even that doesn't make much sense, since they're already done that with the 1020 and 520.

My feeling is that AT&T didn't put any resources into this update until after they had all the i**** pumped out, and now they don't have enough time to get Amber ready by the end of the day today. Of course this is nothing they want to admit.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Which rom did you flash after the french one? The ATT dev rom or the europe dev rom? Reading right now which one is better to use on T-mobile or T-mobile mvno like ptel or lycamobile.

Luckily I sent in the lumia 920 to nokia to have the front camera dust issue permanently fixed before this rom flash so I am not too worried about warranty since right now the phone seems to be functioning ok with sometime overheating and hang but manageable.

Whoa, there is a fix for the front camera dust??? I must have missed that one. What is the fix?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
t-Mobile 521 810 all available.

The gdr2/amber update for 810 & 521 was stopped by t-mobile/nokia due to various issue *battery drain, WiFicalling issues for some, random lock screen lockups* to name a few things. All of which i have experienced since updating my 521.

At&t may have found issue has well during it testing. And may be holding back until gdr3/bittersweet updates come along.

Still being the premier carrier they are always the last to release updates if any at all.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. People's impatience with AT&Ts delays are potentially causing a bunch of quite serious issues for people down the road. Not sure how the warranty works in that state!

Best thing for most people is to hang in there and wait until AT&T approve the update.

Sucks, but let's face it, while it's nice to have the latest, GDR2 brings little. Amber brings some nice things we all want for sure, but not things we have to have today.

my concern is if this is the delay we see for gdr2, gdr3 has major thing that I have been waiting to be fixed since wp7, that update I will not be happy waiting for.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

I did the AT&T Dev ROM.

loveleo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Whoa, there is a fix for the front camera dust??? I must have missed that one. What is the fix?

Send your phone to Nokia repair with a note detailing what you want to fix. They will clean it and put something to permanently block that gap where the dust used to come in. Your phone will be wiped so you will have to restore or for me just start over. I did notice heating if I do wifi, music, video, gaming all together while charging, and I experienced wifi error and system hang with tune in app during the heating with a case on. After I took it out of the case I have not experienced it anymore. But this is a couple more weeks after they have fixed it and I have not seen any dust. I did buy the phone used and a lot of dust was already there when I got it, if I were the owner, probably not that bad. But anyway, the gap seemed to have been filled.

It takes about two weeks of total time including shipping, which is paid by Nokia unless you want to ship it your own with more insurance. Not bad.

Maserati Storm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Come on guys, when it's released its released. Digging and clawing for info is not getting us anywhere. Might as well just not even think about it or if your brave join the flash team.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
LOL, @ATTCustomerCare now has a new canned response their CSRs can copy and paste from:

"We are nearing the final stages of testing and expect it to be avail in the coming weeks."

Sakeeboy

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
People, looks like some folks are experiencing weird issues with GDR2+Amber on other threads. So probably Amber has/had some real issues which AT&T found during their testing and reported back to Nokia and they fixed? Fixing? No way to know...

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I think I just want it because I can't have it, as mentioned numerous times above me amber brings very little to the table. When we finally do get it it's going to be such a let down. I waited for this?

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LOL, @ATTCustomerCare now has a new canned response their CSRs can copy and paste from:

"We are nearing the final stages of testing and expect it to be avail in the coming weeks."

or we made enough noise that they finally are going to get it out. No way to tell but it's possible.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Silly people and thier first-world problems.

Right, because we shouldn't be demanding better service for the $100+ we're sending to AT&T every single month. Should someone in the middle of Africa also not be able to complain about crappy service just because their neighbor might not own a phone at all?

Silly people and their lack of principles.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I think the inclusion of Data Sense and the Pro Cam update are two big features worth whatever issues the GDR2/Amber update causes. That said, AT&T does not want another .1308 on their hands here. They don't want to push an update out that will create connections issues, battery issues or something worse just to get two new features into people's hands and then have to issue an emergency patch in 2 weeks just to get phones working again. This was the route that T-Mobile tried with the 810 and - although I am very happy with the leaked update - too many people were suffering 3-4 hour battery life due to the new features. Of course, the easy fix was to turn off the new features like Glimpse and Double Tap to wake, but that isn't a solution for those that wanted to use those features. I also had to turn off NFC and Tap to Share to really get great battery life, but that's besides the point.

For those that are saying AT&T is holding the update to get you to upgrade, you couldn't be more wrong. AT&T would rather have you under contract for 23 months, 29 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes before you lock in the next 2 years. Providing updates to your current device will keep you with them longer because you feel that you are being taken care of, not forced to upgrade at full price every year. The Lumia 925 just hit AT&T with GRD2 on board... The 920 will see the update as soon as they can, they really don't want to give you handset that they lose money on instead of a simple software update to the one they already paid the manufacturer to give you.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
This is the truth, and it's an unfortunate truth that has me eyeing a cheap Nexus 4 when I get a chance to get one. I hate carrying two devices, but Microsoft really leaves us with no choice while they twiddle and sit on their thumbs when all this stuff is happening. Instead of promising early update programs and smoke and mirror promises, why don't they just get it set up and ready first, actually act on what they say they'll do, and THEN start delivering promises that have actual evidence of possibly coming true lol

That really boils down to MS not offering a "Nexus" device. The best way to get to that is to flash the French ROM out there as it carrier de-brands it giving direct software updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99