Did AT&T forget about us?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay guys. I have some news. Received this a couple of minutes ago via email:

Hello Shawn,

I have been getting the updated information from the relevant teams here and we are working hard with AT&T and the teams to bring this to consumers as fast as possible.

The current target date for availability is mid October and all teams are lined up to achieve this.

Regards and thanks for your continued support,

Matt Rothschild
Nokia

Haha, I guess they finally gave that one intern working on Amber testing a deadline!

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site

Hello Shawn,

I have been getting the updated information from the relevant teams here and we are working hard with AT&T and the teams to bring this to consumers as fast as possible.

The current target date for availability is mid October and all teams are lined up to achieve this.

Matt Rothschild
Nokia

Can anybody tell me why AT&T is working "SO MUCH HARDER to bring this to the consumers" than every other providers on the planet??? :wink:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But it's worse than that, he is just part time, no more than 29 hours per week, I doubt we'll see this update before November and beside that it will be like a stripped down YUGO.

But November gets us into the holiday season; Thanksgiving, deer hunting, Christmas, New Year...

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Hello Shawn,

Matt Rothschild
Nokia

Matt is awesome!

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
The simple answer is this. When att is satisfied that the iphone customers that either updated to ios7 or bought new iphones are taken care of they will then have enough people left over to help with the 920 update. It has most likely been done for a while, but the carriers always put iphone users first. That's just the way it is. First class always gets treated better than coach but hey, at least were on the plane!!

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Only thing is... we ARE first class! ATT is supposed to be a premier WP carrier and 920 is a flagship phone (not THE flagship anymore, but still up there). I don't disagree that iPhone gets the full attention of att, because we all know that for a fact! And I don't even fault them, because iPhone not only brings home more money than WP but when something goes wrong with iPhone they just have more sheer numbers of people complaining.

But if ATT is going to be a premier carrier, they need to treat us with more simple courtesy.

MATT @ Nokia > All of ATT

At least Matt gave us some answers! Thanks for sharing, Shawn in Space!

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
The simple answer is this. When att is satisfied that the iphone customers that either updated to ios7 or bought new iphones are taken care of they will then have enough people left over to help with the 920 update. It has most likely been done for a while, but the carriers always put iphone users first. That's just the way it is. First class always gets treated better than coach but hey, at least were on the plane!!

Rot. The iPhone has nothing at all do with it, because iPhone (and other Apple customers) go to Apple stores for support and they are guaranteed to get it. Apple won't give them the finger and tell them to go to AT&T. This is why iOS updates hit all iPhones globally at the same time - because Apple takes responsibility to handle the customer support and replacements/repairs if something goes wrong. No other OEM does that. Perhaps if MS could divert some of that money which is now used to diss their competitors' products into something like what Apple does, we would see an improvement.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This is why iOS updates hit all iPhones globally at the same time - because Apple takes responsibility to handle the customer support and replacements/repairs if something goes wrong.

I work for a carrier and I can tell you this is incorrect. Carriers are obviously happy that Apple shoulders some of the support costs, but that has little to to do with the issue of updates. This is demonstrated by the simple fact, that in many countries Apple has no retail presence whatsoever, meaning the carriers handle all support requests themselves, yet the updates role out just the same.

Carriers test Apple's updates just like any other OEM's. The difference is that every carrier is held to a deadline. Carriers are basically told when the update will go live, and until when they can file complaints. If a carrier isn't willing to make that concession, then they don't get to distribute the iPhone.

MS could put a store in every shopping mall in the world and it wouldn't change a thing about WP's update policies.

Last edited:

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Rot. The iPhone has nothing at all do with it, because iPhone (and other Apple customers) go to Apple stores for support and they are guaranteed to get it. Apple won't give them the finger and tell them to go to AT&T. This is why iOS updates hit all iPhones globally at the same time - because Apple takes responsibility to handle the customer support and replacements/repairs if something goes wrong. No other OEM does that. Perhaps if MS could divert some of that money which is now used to diss their competitors' products into something like what Apple does, we would see an improvement.

Counting on MSFT to do good customer service? Um...sure...that'd be great...

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Carriers test Apples updates just like any other OEM's. The difference is that every carrier is held to a deadline. Carriers are basically told when the update will go live, and until when they can file complaints. If a carrier isn't willing to make that concession, then they don't get to distribute the iPhone.

Well said. And the reason why Apple can make these demands is that everyone wants to carry the iPhone. If Microsoft makes the same demands carriers will simply tell them to stuff it. They couldn't care less about carrying the latest Windows Phone. The fact that AT&T is a premier partner is more about the company hedging it's bets than it is because they're trying to grow market share for Microsoft.

Yesterday I was at a UX conference and heard the same thing reiterated that I've heard many times in the past. This online retailer stated that iPhone users spend far, far more than Android users. They went out of their way to build an Android app to see if user experience was the hindrance. It made no difference whatsoever. This is one of the big reasons why everyone will continue pushing the iPhone harder than even Android with it's dominant marketshare, because it's users are willing to spend money.

If it turns out Windows Phone users are also cheap, it's not going to bode well for the platform. I think people are hungry for a proper iPhone competitor, but they don't want to see yet another Android. Of course, currently Nokia seems overly focused on the low end of the market. I'm already seeing echos of the same kind of cheapness, people complaining about $3 games.

Which is funny, because I'm actually quite cheap myself. But I can't deny the reality of the marketplace. What Nokia/Microsoft need is a proper halo phone. Not a 920 with an extra nice 41 megapixel camera, but a proper, cost is no object, thoroughly conceived halo phone. It's similar, in principle, to how Lexus introduced the LFA. That's a US$400,000 car that few of us will ever see on the road. But it's a brand building exercise. The fact that it exists enhances the perception of the entire brand. The Lumia 1020 is a nice phone, but Microsoft needs to beat the iPhone at it's own game. They need a device so impressive that people might start looking beyond the negative perception Microsoft still is burdened with.

Once that happens, then they can start making demands of AT&T and Verizon.

loveleo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a 920 unlocked on T-Mobile. I left glance on my entire 8 hour shift, on my desk, being on edge at the office I usually only drop 20% for an entire shift and I left yesterday at 68%, so an extra 12%, keep in mind when its in your pocket, glance shuts off though

If you use peek instead of on setting for the glance, it should shut off after a few seconds even not in pocket. And it will turn back on if you hover your hand over it. Fabulous feature.

Sakeeboy

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Well said. And the reason why Apple can make these demands is that everyone wants to carry the iPhone. If Microsoft makes the same demands carriers will simply tell them to stuff it. They couldn't care less about carrying the latest Windows Phone. The fact that AT&T is a premier partner is more about the company hedging it's bets than it is because they're trying to grow market share for Microsoft.

Yesterday I was at a UX conference and heard the same thing reiterated that I've heard many times in the past. This online retailer stated that iPhone users spend far, far more than Android users. They went out of their way to build an Android app to see if user experience was the hindrance. It made no difference whatsoever. This is one of the big reasons why everyone will continue pushing the iPhone harder than even Android with it's dominant marketshare, because it's users are willing to spend money.

If it turns out Windows Phone users are also cheap, it's not going to bode well for the platform. I think people are hungry for a proper iPhone competitor, but they don't want to see yet another Android. Of course, currently Nokia seems overly focused on the low end of the market. I'm already seeing echos of the same kind of cheapness, people complaining about $3 games.

Which is funny, because I'm actually quite cheap myself. But I can't deny the reality of the marketplace. What Nokia/Microsoft need is a proper halo phone. Not a 920 with an extra nice 41 megapixel camera, but a proper, cost is no object, thoroughly conceived halo phone. It's similar, in principle, to how Lexus introduced the LFA. That's a US$400,000 car that few of us will ever see on the road. But it's a brand building exercise. The fact that it exists enhances the perception of the entire brand. The Lumia 1020 is a nice phone, but Microsoft needs to beat the iPhone at it's own game. They need a device so impressive that people might start looking beyond the negative perception Microsoft still is burdened with.

Once that happens, then they can start making demands of AT&T and Verizon.

I agree!!

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
"They need a device so impressive that people might start looking beyond the negative perception Microsoft still is burdened with." So we need a miracle.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
If you use peek instead of on setting for the glance, it should shut off after a few seconds even not in pocket. And it will turn back on if you hover your hand over it. Fabulous feature.
I use peek but it doesnt seem to always work, sometimes it does though, maybe I need to see if there is an update for it

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The sad bit is that it wouldn't be all that difficult to pull off, if they had product and brand managers worth their salt. And Nokia needs to stop bombarding the market with a new phone every freaking week.
Ummmm thats not the problem, they dont hold a candle to the vomiting release stly eof Samsung products, seems like a new flagship comes out every month with them.

Were talking about a market dominated in iOS and Android and while WP8 is great, they are late to the party

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
SIgn petition to have Microsoft take control of the releases. Lets stop AT&T from delaying updates and removing apps, such as Date sense.

http://www.change.org/petitions/mic...ows-phone-on-your-own-not-through-the-carrier

You still don't get it.

MS is pretty much powerless to change anything. The carriers want to be the gatekeepers to their network and that's that. MS already tried to achieve what you are asking for... and failed.

You would have to petition the carriers, but until they can trace the loss of a few hundred million dollars back to this issue, they really won't care about a petition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)