Did AT&T forget about us?

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Wooooooo September 2nd and still no update. Thanks AT&T! :)

look on the bright side, despite being rather late, we're going to get this update. I'm going to go on record now with the prediction that us 920/820 users on AT&t will not get GDR3 nor 8.1. We will be long forgotten by then.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe by the end of September? (No GDR2/Amber yet for my AT&T 920 in the U.S.)

look on the bright side, despite being rather late, we're going to get this update. I'm going to go on record now with the prediction that us 920/820 users on AT&t will not get GDR3 nor 8.1. We will be long forgotten by then.
I'll have given in by then and upgraded to a 1020 somehow... I actually do have a phone in my family plan right now that's eligible for an upgrade. I'm waiting to see what's going to be available across the board after the next Nokia announcement this month. Also want to see if Apple has anything innovative to offer...

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read on these forums, gdr2 will be released by the end of Sept. On At&t. Sucks, but what can ya do? I suspect there will be rabid dogs and torches on the lawn of At&t headquarters should it take any longer.

I wish Nokia would release a consumer version of the Nokia updater and allow you to flash firmware updates directly to the phone as they're made available. They could always build in a backup/rollback feature incase the flash goes wrong or the generic firmware doesn't work on your network. I wonder if there are agreements with carriers to prevent such consumer friendly things from happening?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just flash the AT&T Developer's ROM. It has the GDR2/Amber on it. You won't loose anything as you stay with AT&T.... And, TETHERING IS ENABLED AND WORKING!

Here's the link for the how-to:

How to successfully install AT&T Dev rom to AT&T branded phone! - xda-developers

wait, so you can go back to the stock ATT rom? Since you just flashed your phone Joja, mind testing it in reverse to see if you can get back to the stock? You'd be doing the community a huge favor :)

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
wait, so you can go back to the stock ATT rom? Since you just flashed your phone Joja, mind testing it in reverse to see if you can get back to the stock? You'd be doing the community a huge favor :)

The OP of the link I posted and others did it without any problems .... I own an unlocked Rogers but my friend has the AT&T Lumia 920 and flashed this ROM on his phone last week. It works flawlessly and with internet sharing enabled too....

Here's a quote from the OP's link when asked that same question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre51 View Post
But can you go back to the stock at&t retail rom ?
Sent from my Xperia Tablet Z

Sure! After flashing rom 059Q6W4 RM-820_Rogers_Cana... Version 1232.2109.1242.1002, do NOT perform any updates.

Download rom 059L848 RM-820 NDT AMERICA ATT Black and flash to the phone. This will install the current AT&T stock rom, Version 1232.5692.1314.0001, loaded with AT&T branded pay-for bloatware.

Now I have to ask, WHY would you want to run the branded, outdated firmware that is loaded with AT&T's pay-for bloatware, AND removes useful utilities that can help you potentially save money on AT&T's network? (Unless you're returning the phone to AT&T and you don't want them to know that you screwed with it.).

Read the link I posted and you'll see....

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I don't know, I've been having issues with Internet Sharing (even with the Spanish keyboard, it stopped working after a few weeks) and Live Tiles not updating with the 'AT&T' dev rom (which is really a Canadian dev rom, for what it's worth).

I wouldn't personally recommend it to people based on my experiences with it.

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, I've been having issues with Internet Sharing (even with the Spanish keyboard, it stopped working after a few weeks) and Live Tiles not updating with the 'AT&T' dev rom (which is really a Canadian dev rom, for what it's worth).

I wouldn't personally recommend it to people based on my experiences with it.

Sorry to hear...

My friend has it installed since last week and as I said before, it works flawlessly for him and for lots of other users who have flashed this ROM.

Maybe something went wrong with your installation. You could try re-flashing your phone with it just to see if it fixes your problems.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The truth...

"After installing Rogers Version 1232, even one update will prevent reloading stock AT&T rom. If you don't flash the stock rom immediately, you risk having the phone being updated automatically."

I.e. you cannot go back except at one stage of the upgrade. Once you are on the dev ROM or any other Canadian ROM, you cannot go back.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
The truth...

"After installing Rogers Version 1232, even one update will prevent reloading stock AT&T rom. If you don't flash the stock rom immediately, you risk having the phone being updated automatically."

I.e. you cannot go back except at one stage of the upgrade. Once you are on the dev ROM or any other Canadian ROM, you cannot go back.
If you reflash the phone with pre-portico Rogers and NOT let it update you can go back to stock ATT according the the XDA post. That changes everything. If this is true then I have no reservations to upgrade to the ATT dev in the next few days.
cheers

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The truth...

So I'm confused. After playing with the ATT dev rom, you can flash the rogers 1232 rom and then flash back to stock ATT? I've seen other threads about this ATT dev rom and no one has been able to get it to flash back to stock ATT

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
So I'm confused. After playing with the ATT dev rom, you can flash the rogers 1232 rom and then flash back to stock ATT?

That is correct!...

As long as you don't let the phone updates itself via OTA when on the 1232, you can flash back to the stock AT&T.

Sent from my NOKIA LUMIA 920 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786