Did AT&T forget about us?

bigtoe88

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I was a sprint customer for more than 10 years. I switched to AT&T because of the Nokia 920. A customer like me is the exact reason the paid money to have the exclusive rights to the 920! If I had a choice between Verizon and AT&T for the 920 I would have gone with Verizon.

Now if AT&T would be a good provider I would happily stick with them for the next 10 years. But, if this crap continues I will be switching once my contract is up.

revolvet

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
AT&T is being busy with iOS7 testing. All AT&T Lumia 920 user have to wait until at least September 18th, the release date of iOS7. If there is no iOS7 problem, AT&T will start testing Amber.

-- IMO

Alicia Beardsley

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I am usually pretty good with technology, but I am confused. I have ATT and have a Nokia Lumia 920, but when I go to "about phone" it shows the updated firmware and what not that everyone is "waiting for" but nothing on my phone is new or different.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
We do not have GDR2+Amber which is an update to the OS because AT&T is doing something to it. If you were to check your firmware it will say it is up to date, because AT&T is taking their sweet time releasing the next update.

Alicia Beardsley

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Uner my "extras + info" it says Firmware update notifier "1.0.1.7", label ID "1232.962.10211.158".

But when I go to "About" it says:
Software: Windows 8
OS Version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware revision #: 1242.5962.1314.0001

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Uner my "extras + info" it says Firmware update notifier "1.0.1.7", label ID "1232.962.10211.158".

But when I go to "About" it says:
Software: Windows 8
OS Version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware revision #: 1242.5962.1314.0001
You still are on pre-GDR2 version and havent received the update yet since AT&T is still testing it. Wait till Sept end and you should have an update, as per Nokia

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
AT&T is being busy with iOS7 testing. All AT&T Lumia 920 user have to wait until at least September 18th, the release date of iOS7. If there is no iOS7 problem, AT&T will start testing Amber.

-- IMO
This starts to sound so much like the HTC Titan awaiting for updates, none of which came.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Last year when Microsoft and Nokia introduced WP8 and Lumia 920, Joe Belfiore said that Microsoft will have control of the updates. The updates will come straight from them.
How things have changed. Or rather have not.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Last year when Microsoft and Nokia introduced WP8 and Lumia 920, Joe Belfiore said that Microsoft will have control of the updates. The updates will come straight from them.
How things have changed. Or rather have not.

They made an announcement awhile back saying they were throwing update responsibility to the carriers. It was in the same announcement they told everyone WP8 would be supported for 36 months I think.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a really hard time understanding why Microsoft couldn't work out a similar update arrangement with the carriers. I know everyone believes Apple had more muscle to influence them, but when the iPhone was released, its not like they had a market presence in mobile phones, so how were they able to strong arm Att into submission? Verizon wouldn't have them at first.

I think it all boils down to commitment and resolve. Microsoft can't seem to muster enough or decide to settle in situations like these.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a really hard time understanding why Microsoft couldn't work out a similar update arrangement with the carriers. I know everyone believes Apple had more muscle to influence them, but when the iPhone was released, its not like they had a market presence in mobile phones, so how were they able to strong arm Att into submission? Verizon wouldn't have them at first.

I think it all boils down to commitment and resolve. Microsoft can't seem to muster enough or decide to settle in situations like these.

Are they afraid the carriers would dump their phones?

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Are they afraid the carriers would dump their phones?

Dunno. Maybe Apples deal put a bad taste in the carriers mouth and they refused to grant Microsoft the same terms. If carriers don't like using resources for testing updates, perhaps Microsoft should offer to test the updates themselves, or something. Hard to speculate when you don't have access to the info behind the scenes.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
There is not a significant free feature that I know of on Windows Phones that is exclusive to AT&T. They do have the AT&T storage Locker.

Data Sense lets you set a data limit and can restrict background date when it is approached. It can give the cellular and WiFi data usage for the last 30 days and the cellular and Wifi Data usage per app and phone tasks like app downloads, store, people, mail, internet explorer and streming media. You can also map nearby WiFi. It is very useful. AT&T says it takes software infastructure support from the carrier. Are your sure about that? It works on my 521 when I use my AT&T sim.

Sprint has NASCAR Mobile ?13 with premium content for race driver radio and Verizon has NFL Mobile with premium content for streaming games. From AT&T ____ ?

Timely updates from AT&T would be nice, along with Data Sense.

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Folks, instead of complaining about AT&T and the update process here, why aren't we posting something over on Windows Phone User's Voice? I did a quick search and the highest-rated post about bypassing carriers for updates has only 22 votes.

Seriously, instead of complaining on a forum, why aren't we putting our feedback somewhere that Microsoft may actually see?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos