Did AT&T forget about us?

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
LOL...I don't have much hope either. But who knows, maybe now that Iphone 5 and the new IOS is out somebody will have time to hit send on the "upload update" button.

Bmrk

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Guys, may I ask a question? :D I still didN't get any update on my L920 to Amber...I bought my phone "unbranded" (so I'm able to put any SIM card in it..i think this is what unbranded means..if it isn't , then correct me please :D ), and it says that my Mobile operator is "AT1-AT"...so that means, that I'm at AT&T in updates? Or what? :D
(sorry for my english btw..)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Guys, may I ask a question? :D I still didN't get any update on my L920 to Amber...I bought my phone "unbranded" (so I'm able to put any SIM card in it..i think this is what unbranded means..if it isn't , then correct me please :D ), and it says that my Mobile operator is "AT1-AT"...so that means, that I'm at AT&T in updates? Or what? :D
(sorry for my english btw..)

I could be wrong, but I believe "unbranded" shouldn't be tied to a carrier and "unlocked" could be tied to a carrier. I also think I read that unbranded phones sometimes get the updates after carrier updates go out.

Hmm, "AT1-AT"... Does it look something like this?...

207981-episode_5_at_at_walker.jpg

...If so, I think you'll have to wait for the Empire to release the update.

Bmrk

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
hah..:D nah, it actually looks normaly (fortunately..:D). So...the last question is, that Will i get the amber update in the future? :D or my phone won't get it?

WPer

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
hah..:D nah, it actually looks normaly (fortunately..:D). So...the last question is, that Will i get the amber update in the future? :D or my phone won't get it?

I was sure about its coming but now I am not. Someone in this thread post his discussion with an AT&T rep which at least showed that they were working on GDR2. But what we almost know for sure is that GDR3 is approaching, which may be disclosed next month on the Nokia event. Don't forget the two facts: 1. all these updates from MS are cumulative; 2. AT&T is always reluctant to keep the OS update untouched. When AT&T knows that they are going to work on GDR3 in a very near future, it may give up working on GDR2.

Personally I wish this doesn't happen. If there is one thing that AT&T has to give up, they should give up doodling on the original OS updates.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

You should get it, just a matter of when... One of the last 2 WPCentral podcasts was talking about how it is unfortunate that updates hit branded phones before unbranded phones because each phone gets a slightly different build and the carrier updates seem to take priority.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
No offense, but you are probably the exact reason why AT&T does not feel hurt to delay the Amber update.
None taken. I know at&t could care less about us 920 owners as far as the GDR2/Amber update goes. Truth is, GDR2/Amber on my 920 or not, I was still planning on buying a 1020. I wanted the camera! Yes, it's nice to have Amber and all now too.
Excellent point. All AT&T wants is for people to upgrade to the next big thing the instant it's released. So they're going to do everything in their power to make staying with your current phone uncomfortable. I'm sure AT&T would love to do the same with the iPhone. Apple, unfortunately, has them by the balls.

So in the next 6 months, when GDR3 is ready watch AT&T drag their feet on updates for the 920, 925 and 1020 in the hope that consumers will upgrade to whatever new phone is due for release. And they'll get away with it once again because far too many consumers are suckers.

I've concluded that the reason for the update "approval" delay all along was the 1020 and the 925 coming to at&t, and the coincidental appearance of the "Next" program. I have three lines on my account and just so happened to have an upgrade available on one of the lines (not my main line with my 920 on it). So now I have a 1020 on one line, a 920 on one, and my GF's iPhone on the third.

So technically I'm still a 920 user that's waiting for the GDR2/Amber update. Now that I have the 1020 with Amber already on it though, I don't feel as stressed out about waiting and waiting and might even experiment with some ROM flashing.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Then you haven't used NT based OS very often...even my surface pro was bluescreening once every couple weeks coming out of hibernate. Oddly enough, it's stopped after updating to the 8.1 Release Preview haha

I suspect you've done something to your surface then. Gotten a virus perhaps? I haven't had a single blue screen since before vista, and ive had four laptops and two desktops, as well as two servers.

Mike Joseph

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think ATT forgot about us with the 920's. ATT is neglecting us on purpose.

Yes, I did run phone update just before posting on the faint hope there was an update pushed out.

Why do I punish myself.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
No offense, but you are probably the exact reason why AT&T does not feel hurt to delay the Amber update.
its not our fault that a,Nokia has built the update to Nokia standards b, att priorities are iPhones not windows phones and now att not consumers are offering this next program wp8s " premier carrier" so if we're not happy with our phones we can upgrade to get what we want.if Ms knows this us happening wouldn't u think they would do something so that customer are happy with the device you have? Guess not so many will just upgrade att feels this is easier and every ones happy if att is not to concerned about wp8 updates its not our fault we want the updates but att is so much more concerned about this new iPhone!

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Could it be that att is worried that some people will do a reset on their phone before they then install the amber update, and thus open themselves up to a number of gears of death replacements? This phone is new to me and i just survived a spinning gear forever reset and was the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen.

JackG058

Oct 31, 2006
www.LatterDayTruth.org
Could it be that att is worried that some people will do a reset on their phone before they then install the amber update, and thus open themselves up to a number of gears of death replacements? This phone is new to me and i just survived a spinning gear forever reset and was the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen.

Yep, that is a scary moment. These phones don't reset very well, that is one ding against them. At least there is a work around. I've survived it twice now and had to use the "hard reset" key combo. At least it works consistently.

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Are you kidding me? Go google problems installing Vista without SP1 with more than 2GB of Ram and then come back. It was a well known problem and as I said Microsoft was on it quick and released a patch. It just wasn't possible to install it on any system from scratch with more than 2GB of Ram. I had to remove any RAM over 2GB,install Vista, install the patch Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A" and then add the additonal memory back. Vista was on the right track but was a complete resource hog. I don't know how anyone who's used the OS can deny it.

How was Vista any more of a resource hog than Windows 7? It didn't leave your 4 GB of RAM empty at all times like Windows XP did? I STILL hear people complain about the fact that NT 6.x uses a large portion of your RAM at any given time, and those complaints are always the result of expecting that "unused RAM is good." Windows Vista (and 7) will happily run on a 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 and 512 MB of RAM. SuperFetch won't really do anything, but that's what the "bloat" you're talking about is - the SuperFetch loading frequently used programs into RAM so that they open quickly.

Also, viruses are generally not likely to cause BSODs. BSODs traditionally (and technically still can) occurred due to drivers crashing. It isn't very easy for a crashed GPU driver to bring down NT 6.x, though. CPU instability and RAM errors are much more likely to cause BSODs, and they really aren't problems that Microsoft (or anyone else) can fix in software. The integrity of some components of Windows can also be damaged, which may be why things suddenly work fine on your Surface.

Modern iterations of Windows NT are not, however, the wreck that Windows 9x was. Minor issues with programs could crash your computer fairly easily.

JackG058

Oct 31, 2006
www.LatterDayTruth.org
Doing this from memory, but if you get the spinning gears and they stay that way for ten minutes or greater, you can press the power, down volume, and camera key. This will do a hard reset and should recover from the spinning gears syndrome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon