Did AT&T forget about us?

PeterFnet

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
It hurts. I really hope Microsoft realizes the error in their ways. Cannot leave it up to manufacturers and carriers. But with them buying Nokia mobile, who knows...

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Whats everyone going to complain about after the amber update is released, 500 posts, really? I thought windows mobile people were less whiny than android and apple folk. Funny how much alike we all really are.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any of these bugs, lags, crashes, or slowness that you guys are talking about. None. On either my 920 (portico), or my 1020 (Amber).

Mantraxalos

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
It's premature to write ATT off for this. In the past, ATT has been very prompt with updates. We got Portico first. The Lumia 900 also got multiple updates and a prompt update to 7.8 when it was released. Same with mango before that. I honestly think there is a legimate problem with the amber update which is why it's not being released. On the bright side, Amber is such a small and puny update. In fact, more people say it's worse. It doesn't even fix the battery problems everyone is having, Pro cam has weird tinging problems, and some people have been having stuttering and freezing. So unless these issues are fixed, I don't want to deal with buggy software for 2-3 months until GDR3 or a fix is released.

I have the att developer rom and amber IS faster and has none of these problems you mentioned other than the procam issue.
Some nicer differences that I noticed immediately were when using the power button to just turn on the display to unlock. Previously there used to be this annoying lag before the screen would turn on, now the lag has been shortened drastically. I even compared two 920s next to each other, one portico, the other amber. Also when scrolling web pages in IE, its MUCH SMOOTHER now. Before if I was scrolling the webpage would always seem to be following slightly behind. Now it follows WITH my movements. Again, very noticeable for me.

MS/Nokia are on the right path, I just wish att would follow.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
That makes sense now. I wondered why my post about the update was missing off the ATT facebook page. This is AT&T SOP. I have been through this many times with other devices. They take the update from the manufacturer and then morf it into what they want it to be and usually it is pretty messed up. I have seen this done with the Nokia E71x, Motorola Atrix, Blackberry and now Nokia Lumia 920. I don't have the ability to get a new device with the update since I am not a the year into my contract so I can "trade up", nor do I have $500 to spend on a new device.
Been with AT&T/Cingular/BellSouth for 15 years and have many many roll over minutes. After this fiasco, they will probably loose me as a customer when my contract is up. I am sick of their games.

Last edited:

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
So i have only had my 920 for 3 days now it's an ATT model and seems like a really nice phone. Is the update supposed to turn their phones into 1020's? I know it's always nice to get an update but please, come in off the ledge, it will be ok.

Last edited:

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, AT&T pushed Windows Phone 7.8 to the Lumia 900. We also got Portico first.

My old HTC Titan never got updated beyond 7.1.7720 (original Mango release), so no disappearing keyboard fix. Fortunately, this was easily addressed in WP7. I just manually sent the CABs to my phone to update it to 7.8

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
So i have only had my 920 for 3 days now it's an ATT model and seems like a really nice phone. Is the update supposed to turn their phones into 1020's? I know it's always nice to get an update but please, come in off the ledge, it will be ok.
10gb of other storage is not ok im not to concerned about the camera updates or the glance feature but the fix for this" other storage"

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site

How is a software update supposed to change the physical hardware?

RockPaperBFG

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

There are some big issues with the current build for some users. If you are an Xbox Music pass subscriber there are a lot of issues managing your collection or even getting much of your collection onto your phone so it isn't always streaming. That is a really big issue to me. In addition you will be getting a lot of the features of the 1020 including the camera app, so yes, it will mostly turn your phone into a 1020 (minus the sensor).

lewiedude

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
So, since the amber update isn't going so well for is att'ers, is there a stock version of the OS that I can flash to my 920, and not the Rogers' one...i am looking for the most recent Nokia amber. Also, is the only way to activate the I unlock code sequence via the insertion of a competitor's sim card? I got the code from att already.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This is ridiculous, no excuse for them to not at least give us an ETA and a reason why even carriers in Antarctica pushed this update out last month. We will be waiting till 2015 for GDR3 at this rate.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I think what bothers me the most is that they are making us wait longer than other carriers AND are stripping out features. While I do like the MyAT&T app, it's not a utility. All it does it give us information about our usage. It doesn't offer any sort of analysis. I want the interactive app promised by Nokia. I'm disappointed. The service is great, but this really has been mishandled. Just because they have until the end of September doesn't mean they should take until the end of September.

It's also rather insulting that their Customer Care and Support have been entirely ignoring our tweets and Facebook posts. Either we get a "there is no update at this time" response or there is no response at all. Get with the program.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Whats everyone going to complain about after the amber update is released, 500 posts, really? I thought windows mobile people were less whiny than android and apple folk. Funny how much alike we all really are.

Oh shut up it has been over a month since this update started being pushed. We are the last Nokia owners to get the update and it really sucks and what is worse is ATT is not even telling us why it is delayed. We deserve at least proper communication, we are paying customers

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense now. I wondered why my post about the update was missing off the ATT facebook page. This is AT&T SOP. I have been through this many times with other devices. They take the update from the manufacturer and then morf it into what they want it to be and usually it is pretty messed up. I have seen this done with the Nokia E71x, Motorola Atrix, Blackberry and now Nokia Lumia 920. I don't have the ability to get a new device with the update since I am not a the year into my contract so I can "trade up", nor do I have $500 to spend on a new device.
Been with AT&T/Cingular/BellSouth for 15 years and have many many roll over minutes. After this fiasco, they will probably loose me as a customer when my contract is up. I am sick of their games.

Ex Atrix owner here and I totally agree with you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa