Did AT&T forget about us?

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
On hold, but here's my theory based on the chats so far:

Nokia messed up and pushed it to AT&T late.

AT&T is probably late because of that but also because of Data Sense.

Nokia is now investigating the "end of September" remark. CS Rep tried to debate language used with me.

Transferred to a new department.

Current time wasted: My entire morning.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Nokia messed up and pushed it to AT&T late.

AT&T is probably late because of that but also because of Data Sense.

Nokia is now investigating the "end of September" remark. CS Rep tried to debate language used with me.

Transferred to a new department.

Current time wasted: My entire morning.

How I hope it will come out today.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That petition seems heavy-handed and overly broad for the summary provided. It's never going to happen, so it's a waste of a petition.

What people should be demanding is that service providers be disconnected completely from the devices they offer. That would mean they can't install garbage custom software, or be selective about updates, or anything like that. Clearly they need to test and approve updates, but that should be obligated to approve those updates in a timely manner. Either that, or make the device maker responsible for the testing and remove the service providers completely from the process. Optimum or Verizon doesn't need to test your PC or Mac when updates are released; it should be the same with our phones.

Allowing service providers to do any of this is a conflict of interest because they can manipulate their userbase. Clearly, AT&T disables Data Sense so that users are more likely to exceed caps. And they're clearly trying to speed up obsolescence so that consumers upgrade their phones prematurely.

A petition like that is an easier sell to your average politician because it doesn't harm the bottom line of these big companies, but it makes them look like they're being productive.

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Lumia Amber update roll-out starts - Nokia Support Discussions

"The roll-out starts now first for the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 in selected countries as well as Lumia 521, Lumia 810, and Lumia 928 in the US. Exact delivery timings will vary by region, model and operator, but we expect the update to reach your Lumia 520, Lumia 620, Lumia 720, Lumia 820 or Lumia 920 by the end of September."

Honestly the lack of US ATT 920 being referenced anywhere in their statements has been worrisome from the beginning. As has the lack of any date specifically being confirmed by ATT. I think we all assume this is ATT motivating customers to buy new models and extend contracts rather than update their current phone which works great. They can dance around it as much as they want but in the end we can all clearly see that GDR2/Amber won't be out for some time and that very clearly puts into doubt what will happen with GDR3.

K_lando

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
After this nightmare, i believe lots of at&t user will choose the unbranded phones

Branded or unbranded, as long as a user is on At&t with a Lumia 920, they're not getting the update from At&t. Does Nokia roll out updates to the unbranded 920's themselves regardless of carrier?

Unbranded in some cases is asking for more trouble. Look at my Dell Venue Pro... a phone that Dell abandoned any support for after a year (including official updates) and that Tmobile wouldn't support because it was unbranded and not sold by them.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This is starting to remind me of when I was waiting on the ICS update for my Atrix 4G. Then they finally just dropped it all together. I love my L920 and there is no way I will update to a new phone just to have Amber. Seriously thinking of dropping ATT all together once our contract is up.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna start a live chat with Nokia support... just because I'm bored.. and even though I have the 1020 now, I still have my 920 that needs the update.

JRube

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm ignorant about how updates work. That being said, I have friends that updated their iPhones to the latest system update which just came out. How is that possible when the WP update has been out for so long but not available for AT&T 920?

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Here is my chat with AT&T:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bn7vTk0IgqqrCbgG17qs7-lSsonQGWF7J6z7D1Zob0o/edit?usp=sharing

Okay, I just spent 30 minutes with Nokia and let me say the results were not good. They want us to wait. The rep claimed that they meant the updates would be pushed to the carriers by the 30th. That is definitely NOT what that language says on the Conversations site. They offered to do a conference call between the three of us, but by that point I was really fed up.

At the end of it? I'm actually more pissed with Nokia than I am with AT&T.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bn7vTk0IgqqrCbgG17qs7-lSsonQGWF7J6z7D1Zob0o/edit?usp=sharing

Okay, I just spent 30 minutes with Nokia and let me say the results were not good. They want us to wait. The rep claimed that they meant the updates would be pushed to the carriers by the 30th. That is definitely NOT what that language says on the Conversations site. They offered to do a conference call between the three of us, but by that point I was really fed up.

wow, kudos to Freda and her helpfulness, this sucks.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Not that this makes it better for anyone or is an excuse, but here is an explaination in my opinion of whats going on.

1. Nokia said it would roll out GDR2/Amber for all Lumia devices by Sept, 30th, and technically they have, some were rolled out directly to devices and some to the Carrier for distribution. So technically they have met their deadline for all devices.

2. The biggest reason AT&T is holding back is not for ANY TESTING purposes. The reason other US carriers have rolled the update is that they do not have a more current model WP8 Nokia device that is in competition with an older Lumia device. AT&T is the only carrier with the latest model Lumia, from a business stand point, if rolling out the update means that as few a 1 person doesnt use an upgrade to go from a 920 to a 1020 and extend their contract, they are going to hold off on the update if even roll it out at all. Unfortunately we live in a world where instant profit for share holders takes the cake over practices that value building long term customer relationships.

3. I am not on their side, its still terrible user support IMO and I hate it as much as everyone else does.

Just think of this, if VZW released a 1028 after the 928, you think the 928 would get GDR2/Amber............NO WAY, VZW is far worse than AT&T as far as software support for non current release devices.

P.S. for all those "Im out when my contract is up" people. A word of advice from someone who has had service from al 4 major US carriers as well as worked for T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T, all them suck, its about picking the one that sucks the least. They are all out to make money and will always place that before device software support. There are FAR to many "Dumb" customers that are fine with what they get and dont understand having support as far as software updates like we do here on the WP forums.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
This is the truth, and it's an unfortunate truth that has me eyeing a cheap Nexus 4 when I get a chance to get one. I hate carrying two devices, but Microsoft really leaves us with no choice while they twiddle and sit on their thumbs when all this stuff is happening. Instead of promising early update programs and smoke and mirror promises, why don't they just get it set up and ready first, actually act on what they say they'll do, and THEN start delivering promises that have actual evidence of possibly coming true lol

Not that this makes it better for anyone or is an excuse, but here is an explaination in my opinion of whats going on.

1. Nokia said it would roll out GDR2/Amber for all Lumia devices by Sept, 30th, and technically they have, some were rolled out directly to devices and some to the Carrier for distribution. So technically they have met their deadline for all devices.

2. The biggest reason AT&T is holding back is not for ANY TESTING purposes. The reason other US carriers have rolled the update is that they do not have a more current model WP8 Nokia device that is in competition with an older Lumia device. AT&T is the only carrier with the latest model Lumia, from a business stand point, if rolling out the update means that as few a 1 person doesnt use an upgrade to go from a 920 to a 1020 and extend their contract, they are going to hold off on the update if even roll it out at all. Unfortunately we live in a world where instant profit for share holders takes the cake over practices that value building long term customer relationships.

3. I am not on their side, its still terrible user support IMO and I hate it as much as everyone else does.

Just think of this, if VZW released a 1028 after the 928, you think the 928 would get GDR2/Amber............NO WAY, VZW is far worse than AT&T as far as software support for non current release devices.

P.S. for all those "Im out when my contract is up" people. A word of advice from someone who has had service from al 4 major US carriers as well as worked for T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T, all them suck, its about picking the one that sucks the least. They are all out to make money and will always place that before device software support. There are FAR to many "Dumb" customers that are fine with what they get and dont understand having support as far as software updates like we do here on the WP forums.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Sadly, I just got done with a live chat with Nokia, where the guy said the update is now entirely in AT&T's hands.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So, it sounds like this is entirely in ATT's hands, yet people are starting to get PO'd with Nokia... sounds like Nokia has done what they can, except for releasing it without approval.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I flashed the Rogers on Friday. So far so good. Bad news is there is no way to go back to AT&T firmware at the moment. Even the things mentioned in the xda forum don't work. I tried most of Friday, testing through trial and error and once you go over to rm-821 and this is an rm-820 I couldn't go back.

loveleo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Not all true, looking at the NA availability list, Availability in North America - Nokia, Rogers 920 available while 520 coming soon, verizon 822 available, t-Mobile 521 810 all available.

I am on an unlocked att lumia 920 on T-mobile or T-mobile MVNO, have waited all September, right now downloading and probably will try juan6996's method to update. hopefully will continue to receive OTA update much sooner that way.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Not all true, looking at the NA availability list, Availability in North America - Nokia, Rogers 920 available while 520 coming soon, verizon 822 available, t-Mobile 521 810 all available.

I am on an unlocked att lumia 920 on T-mobile or T-mobile MVNO, have waited all September, right now downloading and probably will try juan6996's method to update. hopefully will continue to receive OTA update much sooner that way.

I also switched carriers on Friday. Waiting on UPS to deliver my sim card today so I can activate on T-Mobile's network. Was with AT&T probably ten years and I'm done with them. Not so much because of this update but because of their strong arm tactics when it comes to billing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss