Cannot shut down my Lumia 920 after amber update

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
After this Amber update, I tried to shut down my Lumia 920 by pressing power button and then sliding down. But instead of shutting, it restart my device. Is this a bug? How can I resolve this issue?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like the phone thinks you're doing soft resets instead of trying to shut the device down. Is the volume down button caught on something? Can you try to make sure the vol down button isn't being registered as being pressed in when you try to shut the phone down?

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure it's not plugged into anything? You can't shut down the phone whilst charging as it needs to be on to charge, so will show the behaviour you describe...

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure it's not plugged into anything? You can't shut down the phone whilst charging as it needs to be on to charge, so will show the behaviour you describe...

Yes it is plugged in with the charger right now. While charging with 3G on, it got so hot, despite having amber update. Therefore I decided to shut it down for a moment so that it can get cold.

Thank you

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The way Windows Phone works, if you have a power source connected to the device it will not turn itself off. This has been the case throughout WP7 and 8 devices. If you want to turn it off you'll need to take out the power.

While this could cause headaches for some of you, we need to understand that this behavior is by design and that there’s nothing wrong with your unit, according to a Microsoft Answers thread. Regardless of the make and model you are using, this phenomenon will be there as long as you run Windows Phone 7/8. There are three reasons said to be the judgment for phones behaving this way: first, the charging of the battery is controlled by the operating system; for proper charging, Windows Phone 7/8 has to be booted up. Second, there’s the wireless sync feature where your device will automatically sync with your computer’s Zune software only if the phone is plugged in. Third one is less viable though and invokes the reason of Alarms not being triggered while the phone is powered off. Previous Windows Phone versions didn’t trigger the alarm while off and neither does Android but BlackBerry devices do.
While there’s nothing you can do about the charging-while-on aspect, you can either have your phone on Airplane mode or Silent if you don’t want to be awakened by overnight phone calls, emails, text messages and so on.

Source: http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-7-devices-only-charge-while-powered-on

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is plugged in with the charger right now. While charging with 3G on, it got so hot, despite having amber update. Therefore I decided to shut it down for a moment so that it can get cold.

Thank you

No problem - sometimes it's the simple things that can baffle!

For reference, it is perfectly normal for the Lumia 920 to run fairly hot when charging or when significant processing power is required (e.g. games). Once it's finished charging it'll cool down of it's own accord.

Muskarcina

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
No problem - sometimes it's the simple things that can baffle!

For reference, it is perfectly normal for the Lumia 920 to run fairly hot when charging or when significant processing power is required (e.g. games). Once it's finished charging it'll cool down of it's own accord.

Yes, my Lumia 920 is hot while charging. You could bake 1 egg on it :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett