Bad luck or terrible quality control?

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Kicking aside the stupid comments in this post...

@OP: Did you try pressing it to place already?
It's snug and tight already. I tried pressing lightly, but it didn't even show any signs of movement. If you look closely, you can see some component under - not sure what it is. I don't want to damage it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
II can't even tell if you're trolling or not.

Sigh.

No, I'm not trolling. I can't see what you're upset at in the pictures. I don't have a 1020, I've never seen one in person, and I don't know what they should look like.

Let me rephrase my question. Since I don't know what I'm looking at/for, is the gap you see really noticeable or is it exacerbated by your frustrations from having to deal with so many phone exchanges (which is completely understandable and something I've done myself)?

I'm just trying to find out if what you see is something you can live with or not.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's AT&T package guys throwing boxes like they just don't care. It's crazy that three in a row have problems.

Btw, THIS, does not look strange to you?

1fgg.jpg

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Easy there, I wasn't doubting you. I was just saying I couldn't see it in the pics, and that I haven't looked at the 1020 so I don't know what it should look like. If I had to swap a phone as much as you have, I'd be upset too.

That said, if the phone works as it should and the camera doesn't wiggle, are you nitpicking because you're upset? Or is the mis-alignment actually that big of an issue?

If you look closely at the pictures, there is a noticeable gap between the body of the phone and the camera housing. I would be worried about dirt / dust and what not getting into the phones internals.

JustlMe

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
@OP wow talk about bad luck, never had to exchange anything more than once and i hope it stays that way xD, Got mine from amazon and fedexed it across the ocean to me and mine is still in perfect condition. Maybe you can try exchanging it at a different ATT store ? That is definitely not right. And i think nokias qc should be alright considering the amount of people who haven't complained yet.

@Boris lozac
Is this guy for real? Nitpicking? It's clearly an issue. Your fanboyism or whatever it is, is ridiculous.

That is a bit of an overreaction, iamtim is just trying to get some answers, and nitpicking in the tech world is very common( not saying its bad or wrong but its there) and coming to a conclusion of fanboyism and putting on your attitude there is very childish. He doesn't have L1020, he doesn't know what its supposed to look like, so just chill and deal with the fact everyone is different and doesn't notice whatever you notice.

@iamtim
The gap is definitely there, I would return it, it does look like they didn't snap the thing on completely,the cover is suppose to be quite flush all around without even enough space for a finger nail or even a piece of paper to slide in. People expect a flawless / complete product in their hands when they shell out the money :amaze:

Back to OP,again, i would recc changing at a different ATT store well just because.... it seems the store you've been going to for some reason is full of l1020 misfits, best of luck and hope you will get to experience a perfect l1020 soon !:evil:

Nowe

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
If I were you I would be mad as hell. I think you should get something for the inconvenience. Mabe a free camera grip with the 3rd, and hopefully working, phone. If I were you I would contact Nokia directly.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There were some serious issues with the 920 when it came out and a lot of them showed up after the 14 days were up. I remember coming back from France after my 14 days and during that time, my 920 kept rebooting and freezing. The AT&T store was awesome in that they exchanged it right then and there. You can definitely try. The worst that could happen is that they say no. Another option is to email Nokia CS and CC Elop. I remember the CS reps were not really understanding but if Elop knew then **** got done. Get that phone replaced, that is a nightmare to the eyes and eventually to the internals as crap can get in there and ruin it. Best of luck.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
No. Doesn't wiggle at all. It's fixed in place like that. And I'm upset because I don't have enough time to be chasing down a replacement. I travel a lot for work and it's becoming very inconvenient. Hopefully that's good enough reason.

The first batch of 'any' phone will have some defect, they start fixing it from batch 2 based on feedback and complaints, period.

My L720 had a casing gap, I bought it on day 1 of release, had it replaced for that fault. 2 weeks down the line, the replaced phone has the same fault, am waiting for the monsoon to pass to I can do another replacement.

ArthJar

May 26, 2013
Visit site
It's snug and tight already. I tried pressing lightly, but it didn't even show any signs of movement. If you look closely, you can see some component under - not sure what it is. I don't want to damage it.

I'd suggest trying to get a refund and going to some other AT&T store. Getting three defective units in a row is ridiculous, and I assure that you most likely won't regret it.

I'm just trying to find out if what you see is something you can live with or not.

Having an opening in your expensive camera smartphone is something certainly not all people could live with.

Maybe it's AT&T package guys throwing boxes like they just don't care. It's crazy that three in a row have problems.

This. I hate people who do this.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If you have bad eyes fine, i have good eyes and that space is pretty big and its the first thing you notice when you see the picture, its like a cave.

Whether a mis alignment is big or not, its a mis-alignment and nobody should be accepting a flawed product.

You clearly have a unique definition of a cave. If one does not own the phone the "gap" is also not the first thing everyone will see. As the OP said the camera is not flush and the most noticeable thing about the phone is the camera bumps out, the OP should be more precise in pointing out the specific problem. Quite frankly all 1020s look like the phone version of a woman in the late first/early second trimester of a pregnancy, As a non-user, I did not notice the problem and I would have had the same question since it does not look much different than the display model I saw in an AT&T store while picking up a cheap wireless charger for my 928. Between not defining "vibration" or "flush" it did sound like whining and/or nitpicking to me. If you want to complain about a problem, define it precisely and do not assume everyone will see what you think is obvious.

Last edited:

Ammar Alhebshi

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is totally bad quality control. In my case I've exchanged two defected units through Microsoft store. The first one had black lines and dots on the screen, it is only visible in a very dark environment . The second one had a busted ear piece that prevented me from hearing calls clearly. The third the one I have now is normal, it still has these black marks on the screen. Digging more in to the subject, I found out that these marks are called the mura effect, and amoled screens are notorious for this issue. So basically I stopped paying attention for it so I don't bother my self . But talking from a perspective that I bought a flagship phone for the full price, and then receive these bad quality units shows how Nokia have the worst quality control. This is my second experience with there bad quality too, the lumia 920 and the front facing camera's dust is a story by it self.

alljeep

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Poor quality control. Problem now is the OP will end up with a refurbished 1020 when he bought and paid for a new one. Same issues I had with my 920. My phone was only new for 2.5 weeks until the ear speaker died, then I get a refurbished phone as a replacement with no choice of new. Sucks.

Darryl Dixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I've gone through 6 l920's for various defects, support keeps sending me defective phones. If GDR2 doesn't fix the battery process lock issue on my current phone it will be going back also. I've had several Nokia phones and never had an issue with anyone of them until now. I will continue to return these broken devices every month until they fix the problem. I will no longer accept support sending me the same retreaded devices.

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
My eyes aren't what they used to be. :)

Again, please note, I'm not doubting the OP. Nor am I saying he shouldn't be upset. I'm just trying to understand because I can't see it on the pics very well, because I don't know what a 1020 is supposed to look like. And I'm interested.

How can you not see it? It is CLEARLY visible.

I would not settle for this failure in build quality. As much as it may be a pain to have to wait for a replacement again you are better off in the long run - I would send this one back too!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How can you not see it? It is CLEARLY visible.

To you it's clearly visible. To me, not so much. I also had no idea what a 1020 was supposed to look like. Luckily, and thankfully, someone cleared that up by circling the problem area and providing a comparison picture. Perhaps, if you'd have read ahead before you commented, you'd have seen that.

hwalker84

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If I pay for something it damn well be perfect. Especially after I bought mine flat out.

I'm interested to know what the vibration problems were?

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Sigh.

No, I'm not trolling. I can't see what you're upset at in the pictures. I don't have a 1020, I've never seen one in person, and I don't know what they should look like.

Let me rephrase my question. Since I don't know what I'm looking at/for, is the gap you see really noticeable or is it exacerbated by your frustrations from having to deal with so many phone exchanges (which is completely understandable and something I've done myself)?

It's a $600 phone, it would be an issue for me too. I took one of my cars back to the dealer to address a squeaky noise in the door...even if they phone was only $300, I would still return it. The gap was pretty easy to spot in the first photo, even when viewed on my phone.

OP: take it back; that gap is just going to get more and more annoying, especially when you think of how much it costs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb