Compass Calibration Issue on L1020

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone experienced any issues with the calibrate compass message always popping up when you use HERE Maps. No matter how many times I calibrate it always pops up. I've attached a screenshot of the message and was wondering if this is just a known issue with Nokia devices or if I have a defective compass. Also, after I calibrate the compass it's also usually still off and not showing an accurate position in which I'm facing. This happens everytime I use it in the car where I mostly use HERE Maps.
BTW, I have restored my phone once already and still getting the same issue. I'm also starting to think that it doesn't work while driving since it works fine while I'm walking outside. Maybe something in my car is in fact interfering with the device compass hence the message.
wp_ss_20130821_0001.png

Last edited:

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
When I intially activated and used my 1020 for the first 48 hours, I received that same message. There were at least two times where I had to move the phone in a figure-eight position several times before it would work. Just as a test I've been watching my phone try to peg my exact location on the map and have seen it do the Cha-Cha for the last minute and a half. If I don't touch the phone, it remains in place and doesn't try to recalculate my position. If I tap on the screen it seems to get another song in its head and do it again.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't do it that often... However, my 920 will always ask me to recalibrate the first time I use the compass after powering off and on my phone.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm really not a fan of the compass calibration procedure. It always seems to need to be done at the worst possible time for me, and I never know what sort of figure 8 pattern it wants me to do or how fast I should be moving the phone around. Even though they sometimes show a diagram it's still really unclear and has only "worked" for me once out of the maybe 10 times total I've ever tried it on my two phones. I don't know if it actually worked or if it just gave up, as it's hard to tell if the compass is actually working and it's just that bad (it tends to wander aimlessly), or it's that bad because it wasn't calibrated correctly. And I feel like an ***** waving my phone around in public trying to do this, like I'm a little kid pretending it's an airplane or something.

Does this sort of thing happen on other platforms or is compass calibration a unique joy that is exclusive to Windows Phone users?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow thanks, that worked! I should've looked that up ages ago but never seemed to remember to do it. :) I would never have guessed that's what they meant by figure 8. Or maybe it isn't, but whatever.. it works.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Ah, I didn't know you waived your wrist in a figure 8 motion. I will try calibrating like this the next time it happens. Hopefully it won't keep asking me to calibrate if I do it in that motion. I didn't think to look up a youtube video of it also since it seemed pretty straight forward on how to move your phone in a figure 8 motion. I was just keeping the phone faced up the whole time. Hope this helps.

schuerstedt

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
thx for the video too. my compass did bring this message all the time, until I realised, that the magnetic lock on my cover is disturbing my compass. so without the cover, and the simple movement in the video, compass calibrates in seconds as intended. Just wanted to share, in case someone has a cover with a magnetic lock on it :winktongue:

dukewizbang

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Cheers everyone who advised about the magnetic case. Took the phone out and it calibrated immediately. I wish I'd sorted it before I got lost in Leeds centre last Friday
😉

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs