Lockups, lockups & more lockups

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 928. Love it. Ever since updating to Amber I have had to hard reset my phone about 7-8 times due to the UI completely locking up. Doesn't matter the app ir if I'm on my home screen, the device becomes totally unresponsive to touch input. Also at least three times the device has had what I like to call a 'total meltdown ' where the screen flickers and becomes absolutely erratic moving from the home screen to my app list and back again on its own.

Also the double tap to wake feature is hit or miss at best. Sometimes I sit tapping away at my screen much more than twice before it wakes. The time shows all over the screen and never goes away no matter how I have the feature set and it also only shows the time and not the date.

I really enjoy WP8 and my Lumia but this latest update feels rushed and much more buggy than before I added it. Any thoughts?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not having it as bad as you, but just last night the touch screen stopped working where I had to soft reset it. That is the third time it has happened since I've applied the Amber update. I did not happen once prior to that. I just turned off double tap to wake to see if that is causing the issue.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest turning off the added features and see how the phone works. Then turn them back on, one at a time, with a testing period between each feature you turn on. Try and isolate the issue that way. May not be related to Amber, but maybe we can find the root cause.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
For me, it's happend once right after I hung up a call, the second time was during a call when I tried to hit the end button and the third time was immediatly after I sent a text message.

zacman

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Lockups seem to be a widespread problem with GDR2. It isn't manufacturer specific as they appear on Lumias, HTC and Samsung phones as well it.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Same. I have lock ups and weird graphical glitches. I haven't had to do any hard resets just yet, but it certainly can be annoying.

Adrian Luna

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Having this problem also. The touchscreen is what stops functioning. I think it has something to do with the proximity sensor not re-enabling it. Really annoying. Also having the weird graphic issues where the screen looks splotchy/disfigured for a moment. Usually happens in the sun. Might have something to do with the sunlight readability feature. Hopefully we don't have to wait until GDR3 for a fix..

mas90guru

Oct 7, 2003
www.s-consult.com
Had the issue where my touch screen would not respond to touches today. Had to soft reset (twice) after the phone initially would not power on. No idea if GDR2 was the cause.

gollum18

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
From what you have all mentioned. This seems kernel specific, as the kernel stores the drivers for the device. More precisely its probably a problem with the touch drivers in the kernel.

To bad ms doesn't allow third party kernels. I'm sure a Dev could fix the issue pretty easily. You'll just have to wait for your manufacturer to push an update that will hopefully fix it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Today, I had the touch screen fail again, yesterday I had the phone lock up on me (lock solid)the day before, another SOLID lock. This phone is about to go back to Nokia....and I might just buy a HTC.....

Nothing but problems for me....

KCTraveler

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
For what it is worth, I was having the screen lock up/non responsive issue after the Amber update as well. Turned off the peek feature and no issues since.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday and today, I had a lock up each time after I completed a phone call. Called someone, they were unable to answer, the called back and I could not answer the call as the screen would not acknowledge my touch. Had to soft reset each time and then fine. I do not have peek/glance on. Anyone still having this issue?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I have had the same problem:
Pre-Amber/GDR2 = 0 lockups
Post-Amber/GDR2 = 8 (4 for me, 4 for her).

I've had to soft reset them each time. I refuse to hard reset them and lose all my saved game data.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I've experienced two types of lock ups since installing Amber:
  1. The UI freezes, power button doesn't function, have to do a soft reset.
  2. The phone doesn't wake up or respond to any input when asleep, have to do a soft reset.

It's happened to me a total of maybe 3-4 times since Amber, so not very significant, but still annoying.

dmahoney1170

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I seem to be able to reproduce this fairly regularly by zooming in on a web page in IE...the page will start to move around erratically like it's trying to center itself and then the screen won't respond to touch input though the buttons still work. If I leave it along for a few minutes, it starts working again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos