08-26-2013 11:46 PM
49 12
tools
    how can Nokia differentiate users?
    08-25-2013 05:51 PM
    "Missing" new features in Amber? - Nokia Support Discussions !
    does not feature on the screen wakes Lumia 520 620 720
    08-25-2013 05:53 PM
    Why would they not include a feature that has been present in budget Nokia phones from years ? My first lumia 510 had it which came out before the 620 and it was much lower in specification.
    Because Microsoft requires all OEMs to make WP7 with FM hardware built in. Why they didn't for WP8 is beyond me. I was hoping it would be mandatory again, but honestly I'm not missing it.
    08-25-2013 06:42 PM
    Because Microsoft requires all OEMs to make WP7 with FM hardware built in. Why they didn't for WP8 is beyond me. I was hoping it would be mandatory again, but honestly I'm not missing it.
    When WP8 released FM was not part of the feature set and nothing was announced by Microsoft as well whether it would be coming in a future update. In this scenario why would the manufacturer add the hardware which would be redundant anyways...hence they might have excluded the hardware to save on manufacturing cost
    08-25-2013 08:43 PM
    how can Nokia differentiate users?
    Based on how much users pay Nokia for handset.
    WorzelGummage likes this.
    08-25-2013 09:36 PM
    I'm going to share what I think, and I think that there isn't any real reason for it not to be included. I might be completely unreasonable, but it doesn't seem like Glance and/or Tap to Wake would be too hard to add, at least in comparison to other possible changes. Of course, it might be true that Nokia didn't have time to do it because of the vast number of Lumia models, but if so, Nokia should implement it soon. It won't be too much for the phone to handle (spec limitations), it's simply a moving clock and double tap! Right?
    08-25-2013 11:28 PM
    I'm going to share what I think, and I think that there isn't any real reason for it not to be included. I might be completely unreasonable, but it doesn't seem like Glance and/or Tap to Wake would be too hard to add, at least in comparison to other possible changes. Of course, it might be true that Nokia didn't have time to do it because of the vast number of Lumia models, but if so, Nokia should implement it soon. It won't be too much for the phone to handle (spec limitations), it's simply a moving clock and double tap! Right?
    Glance on the 720 doesn't make sense because it doesn't have an AMOLED screen. So if Glance was implemented on the 720 it would be a real battery killer - so not very practical.

I suspect that 'double-tap to wake' also isn't implemented for this reason. The screen probably needs to be powered for the digitizer to work, so would be a battery killer on a non-AMOLED device.

It all works on an AMOLED screen because only the non-black pixels require power, whereas on a LED panel all pixels are powered, even if the screen is black.
    08-26-2013 02:00 AM
    Glance on the 720 doesn't make sense because it doesn't have an AMOLED screen. So if Glance was implemented on the 720 it would be a real battery killer - so not very practical.

I suspect that 'double-tap to wake' also isn't implemented for this reason. The screen probably needs to be powered for the digitizer to work, so would be a battery killer on a non-AMOLED device.

It all works on an AMOLED screen because only the non-black pixels require power, whereas on a LED panel all pixels are powered, even if the screen is black.
    Lumia 920 doesn't have the AMOLED display but it's still ok with the Glance + double tap. Lumia 625 also doens't have AMOLED but it has the double tap.
    So, the only reason NOK didn't implement double tap function because they want to sell more devices, like new 625, or high-end devices.

BTW, the thread mentioned about the Double tap, not the Glance screen. Lumia 720 still has the Glance.
    08-26-2013 02:11 AM
    Lumia 920 doesn't have the AMOLED display but it's still ok with the Glance + double tap. Lumia 625 also doens't have AMOLED but it has the double tap.
    So, the only reason NOK didn't implement double tap function because they want to sell more devices, like new 625, or high-end devices.

BTW, the thread mentioned about the Double tap, not the Glance screen. Lumia 720 still has the Glance.
    920 has bigger battery to ppower that non AMOLED screen, right?
    08-26-2013 02:27 AM
    Lumia 720 and 920 have 2000 mAh
    techiez likes this.
    08-26-2013 02:33 AM
    just improve the OS, functionality, stability and more apps compatibility for 512MB device in the future
    other feature like glance or taptap just a trash
    Sashank Mishra likes this.
    08-26-2013 02:57 AM
    the people posting in that forum are why bitches and it appears that you are too

you didnt buy a phone with radio so why do expect a phone with radio...

it was never on the spec sheets and there was no promise that it would come in the future

it is a specific nokia add on that nokia enabled because the hardware supports it

it is like no lte on a nexus 4

would you buy and then ***** that it doesnt have lte even though the hardware supports it? if you want a phone with lte but a phone with lte

if nokia said it was 5 inches and it turned out to be 3 then you would be justified... the same goes for double tap and glance screen

you dont see samsung and htc ******** about not getting those features... why? because they werent promised. they didnt buy a device without those features expecting to get those features

its like buying an android phone with gingerbread and expecting to get jellybean... if you want a phone with jellybean then buy a phone with jellybean

stop ********
    08-26-2013 03:04 AM
    Lets say Nokia actually implemented the glance screen on those phones, and put a big notice on the update screen saying "THIS WILL DRAIN YOUR BATTERY QUICKLY".

Nobody will bother reading it, everyone will use it, then all the owners will be venting their nerd rage about the battery life with this new feature. Whatever they do, Nokia get moaned at.

I'd be gutted if some cool feature came out in the next update, and my phone didn't support it, but i'd man up and deal with it, because Nokia don't just take these decisions to annoy people, there's always a good reason.

you've said it best... some people think that they are more knowledgeable than nokia about a product nokia made

chances are this would drain the battery dry in minutes then all over the forums all you would hear is

NOKIA AMBER UPDATE DRAINED MY BATTERY
    08-26-2013 03:16 AM
    920 has the same battery as 720, but it's even worse than 720 in daylight. It's all about Nokia, not any hardware limitation
    08-26-2013 04:28 AM
    Wait, 720 doesn't get the Glance screen? Well screw Nokia then. I bought the 720 after Amber was announced thinking I'd get the Glance screen. This is my first Nokia in all of my life and was really looking forward to Glance... well, this doesn't exactly encourage to buy another Nokia in the future.
    08-26-2013 05:36 AM
    Wait, 720 doesn't get the Glance screen? Well screw Nokia then. I bought the 720 after Amber was announced thinking I'd get the Glance screen. This is my first Nokia in all of my life and was really looking forward to Glance... well, this doesn't exactly encourage to buy another Nokia in the future.
    Who said that the 720 isn't getting Glance? From what I've read the 720 is getting Glance but not Double tap to wake. The Glance feature can be enabled after you have updated to Amber and then updated your Display and Touch system app.
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-26-2013 06:39 AM
    It's all about Nokia, not any hardware limitation
    You don't know this. This is your assumption, and while that is fine, we all need to acknowledge that a very high probability exists that our assumptions are wrong.

What I do know (now), is that it isn't possible to guess a display's battery drain based only on its technology (LCD vs. AMOLED) and screen content. That is a gross oversimplification.

An LCD panel's battery drain depends on many things. The number of backlights/display size, their quality/cost, brightness (which increases at 1/4th the rate of applied power), and a dozen tricks OEMs can use to reduce power usage, not all of which can be achieved with any LCD panel, like the ability to power up only some of the backlight LEDs. Anyway, it isn't intuitive. For example, the display on the L520 is quite a power hog, despite being the smallest LCD display on a Lumia device.

My point is, while you may be correct, in that Nokia is using the glance feature as a means of product differentiation (high end vs. low end) display technology is complicated enough to acknowledge the possibility that battery drain truly may be the main issue, particularly with lower cost LCD panels, as used on the L620, L520, etc
    08-26-2013 07:11 AM
    compattable2.png All features except nokia pro camera are available in NL720
    08-26-2013 08:06 AM
    My thought is that the person could be wrong ( I hope he is wrong). All we can do is wait. Crying about it until we dont know for sure what the update will bring is lame.
    Now the link is about L520 by ATT covered by WPC which "HAS" double tap functionality. So tell me one thing, why cant other phones have that functionality? I have a L620 and would like to have the functionality that was promised by nokia but crying isnt gonna help. Will it?

AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 with GDR2 and Amber on board; unboxing and quick tour | Windows Phone Central
    08-26-2013 08:25 AM
    Did you buy your 720 expecting there to be an FM radio on it?
    dude its not about with what expectation we bought 720 its when every1 has lost faith in nokia we havent, and since i have always used nokia since 3315 era it feels sad and we feel betrayed.. should have gone with stinky s3 :( atleast wudnt had to wait for updates like hell and also wudnt hav been made a fool out here
    08-26-2013 08:32 AM
    dude its not about with what expectation we bought 720 its when every1 has lost faith in nokia we havent, and since i have always used nokia since 3315 era it feels sad and we feel betrayed.. should have gone with stinky s3 :( atleast wudnt had to wait for updates like hell and also wudnt hav been made a fool out here
    You obviously don't know anything about the update process for the S3. The 4.2.2 update has been delayed twice now and has been put back to the end of the year from the original date at the start of the summer. Also, good luck with double tap to wake on the S3 or glance screen for that matter

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    08-26-2013 10:51 AM
    This attitude will only kill WP8. if ppl were to buy phones for their current feature set expecting no updates then a majority of early adopters wud nvr hv bought a WP7.5/WP8 device.
    sision likes this.
    08-26-2013 11:08 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compattable2.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	41414 All features except nokia pro camera are available in NL720
    This table is not from an official Nokia source - it's from a review on the All About Windows Phone web site which focuses on the 920 and 925. The site has not tested the 720 with Amber update. So this table may not be accurate.
    a5cent and punkoc1902 like this.
    08-26-2013 07:16 PM
    Sorry dear.... Double tab to wake is not available for Lumia 520
    08-26-2013 11:46 PM
49 12