Why not support the update features Amber woke click screen for Lumia 520, 620, 720?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
One thing i don't get, people are complaining for a feature that they never had or were aware of coming when they bought the phone and now they are suddenly losing faith in the company...i mean WTF!!

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
One thing i don't get, people are complaining for a feature that they never had or were aware of coming when they bought the phone and now they are suddenly losing faith in the company...i mean WTF!!

if ppl bought phones based on existing features nobody wud hv given chance to WP7.5 n even 8 for tht matter, many bought nokias n not WPs, n tech blogs n even nokia n MS repeatedly announced that they would bring in more features in subsequent updates so ppl give a chance to the company n hv every right to get frustrated at such things.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
if ppl bought phones based on existing features nobody wud hv given chance to WP7.5 n even 8 for tht matter, many bought nokias n not WPs, n tech blogs n even nokia n MS repeatedly announced that they would bring in more features in subsequent updates so ppl give a chance to the company n hv every right to get frustrated at such things.

Okay, they would bring more features in future updates.

You now have some of those features they promised. Even more would come in future updates.

Remember, your phone will be supported for 36 months. More will come along the way.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

They did say about bringing in more features but they didn't say which models will get what, did they? On top you are complaining about features missing from a low-mid-end model. 1020 owners complaining about a feature missing that the 720 has, understood but vice versa...NO!. They have paid the premium price and they honestly deserve each possible feature. If 720 is missing features, you can either REQUEST Nokia to implement it (if its possible in a peaceful way), live without it or upgrade your phone, and NOT COMPLAIN like the OP and spread wrong notions like how the company abandoned a feature and he has lost faith.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Lets say Nokia actually implemented the glance screen on those phones, and put a big notice on the update screen saying "THIS WILL DRAIN YOUR BATTERY QUICKLY".

Nobody will bother reading it, everyone will use it, then all the owners will be venting their nerd rage about the battery life with this new feature. Whatever they do, Nokia get moaned at.

I'd be gutted if some cool feature came out in the next update, and my phone didn't support it, but i'd man up and deal with it, because Nokia don't just take these decisions to annoy people, there's always a good reason.

Shihatsu

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Boy, as much as I can understand your rage (I disagree, but that's no reason for me to post in a thread, I'm beyond that), please do me and all others a favor and fix your spelling - this is hurting my eyes.

seq1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Those who bought it after knowing that Amber update was coming might have bought it because it was getting FM radio, glance, double tap. etc...
Nokia should have mentioned about all this when they rolled out Amber on 15th Aug. There was nothing mentioned regarding double tap to unlock not being available for Lumia 520, 620 and 720. Only thing that was mentioned was that Lumia 520 & 625 will not be getting Glance screen.

It's probably because Nokia realized it later that it would not be able to implement it or there is some mistake made by Michaels(Community Manager).

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
All About Windows Phone ran an article on this few days back. This chart is from their "source".
They're normally very professional and accurate, too.
As for these missing features, its possible that Nokia couldn't get them ready in time.

Remember how many phones and variants they have. This is not Android where you can afford to skip a a.b.c update for the heck of it without a lot of people getting angry.

donoester

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I think you have underestimated the competition in the market that exists nowadays. People who buy smartphones these days, expect them to be update-able with the latest features, even mid-end phones receive attention by for example Sony or Samsung when it comes to new Android builds, and Apple has made it a "feature" to still support relatively old products with new OS releases. HTC was been losing an extreme amount of customers because they didn't care about updates. Because they fell asleep in the competition and were more interested in selling new phones.

Of course people will lose faith in Nokia extremely fast, if they leave out purely software based features such as "double tap to wake". I like my 720, and don't need this feature myself. But for professionals, Windows Phone 8 is still very much a "beta" OS, with very basic features lacking. For example how one would adjust the ring volume independently of what the volume level was set to the last time you played a game or listened to music. My Sony-Ericsson W810 from 2006 had this feature!
When pushing the "turn off screen"/sleep button during a game, for example Asphalt 7 or Rayman Jungle Run, the game is completely messed up when waking up the phone again. Again a very basic, but illustrative example of what state WP8 is in.

My point being that Nokia does NOT have the privileges to "leave" out simple features on such a new phone which already lacks in comparison to competition. It is as simple as that.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I think you have completely underestimated the competition in the market nowadays. People who buy smartphones these days, expect them to be update-able with the latest features, even mid-end phones receive attention by for example Sony or Samsung when it comes to new Android builds, and Apple has made it a "feature" to still support relatively old products with new OS releases. HTC was been losing an extreme amount of customers because they didn't care about updates. Because they fell asleep in the competition.

Of course people will lose faith in Nokia extremely fast, if they leave out purely software based features such as "double tap to wake". I like my 720, and don't need this feature myself. But for professionals, Windows Phone 8 is still very much a "beta" OS, with very basic features lacking. For example how one would adjust the ring volume independently of what the volume level was set to the last time you played a game or listened to music. My Sony-Ericsson W810 from 2006 had this feature!
When pushing the "turn off screen"/sleep button during a game, for example Asphalt 7 or Rayman Jungle Run, the game is completely messed up when waking up the phone again. Again a very basic, but illustrative example of what state WP8 is in.

My point being that Nokia does NOT have the privileges to "leave" out simple features on such a new phone which already lacks in comparison to competition. It is as simple as that.

Agreed...but if its doable Nokia would implement it in future update, if not then they won't due to hardware restrictions and/or other reasons which we are unaware off. Bashing up a company without knowing the facts and complaining about something that was never part of what was mentioned by Nokia during release is as good as being completely ignorant and selfish and also accounts to spreading FUD against the entire platform.

And the complaint about games messed up after locking and unlocking the screen, did you find the same behavior with other games? I doubt you will since I tried it now with a couple of games and they seem to resume fine, so its a badly coded app and not Microsoft who's at fault.

Sohan Mahajan

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
can't install asphalt 7 bcz only 210MB free in phone storage despite using 32GB memory card for music,videos n photos(which is 15GB free)...y MS don't throw this other storage in memory card....n Music+Video hub sucks on my L620...at least I had better music player on my Asha...which was 3 times cheaper than Lumia620...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb