Why not support the update features Amber woke click screen for Lumia 520, 620, 720?

sision

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
From what I remember... the 620 doesn't have the required hardware. FM radio was never promised for the 620.
Why would they not include a feature that has been present in budget Nokia phones from years ? My first lumia 510 had it which came out before the 620 and it was much lower in specification.

donoester

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
720's screen and tap to wake = dead battery.
The screen would be off when you awake the phone by double tap. Only the touch screen part should be active. That would mean that it consumes just as much/little power as for example the 820. IF the touch screen controller is the same, that is...

pankaj981 said:
Agreed...but if its doable Nokia would implement it in future update, if not then they won't due to hardware restrictions and/or other reasons which we are unaware off. Bashing up a company without knowing the facts and complaining about something that was never part of what was mentioned by Nokia during release is as good as being completely ignorant and selfish and also accounts to spreading FUD against the entire platform.

And the complaint about games messed up after locking and unlocking the screen, did you find the same behavior with other games? I doubt you will since I tried it now with a couple of games and they seem to resume fine, so its a badly coded app and not Microsoft who's at fault.
I hope I didn't come out too harsh in my comments - but it is really important for manufacturers to realize that caring for the customers is important. But it would then mean we should never complain about anything, since truth be told, no-one knows the hardware restrictions and one won't get to know them as one would have to be in the business in order to receive datasheets from the various manufacturers, and even then it's most likely under NDA.
The only sane reason why it couldn't be implemented were if the touchscreen controllers used in the 520/620/720 are different (cheaper) and would enter a low-power mode in hardware when the phone is in standby and not allow touch inputs to pass through for further processing at this point (i.e. only has one GPIO for defining power saving mode).

I'm able to reproduce the bugs each time I try both of the games. Ironically I didn't have any extra games installed, but I downloaded "Shuffle Party", a nice bowling game actually, and except for the fact that entering standby right after throwing the puck/ball results in the pins being turned without the possibility to see it after wake up - there are no graphical glitches at all.
So I take that back, it is the game developers' responsibility. With highly important and optimized titles such as Asphalt 7 and Rayman, one would have thought a bug like this would have been caught and fixed immediately, if it was possible. :)

punkoc1902

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Those who bought it after knowing that Amber update was coming might have bought it because it was getting FM radio, glance, double tap. etc...
Nokia should have mentioned about all this when they rolled out Amber on 15th Aug. There was nothing mentioned regarding double tap to unlock not being available for Lumia 520, 620 and 720. Only thing that was mentioned was that Lumia 520 & 625 will not be getting Glance screen.

It's probably because Nokia realized it later that it would not be able to implement it or there is some mistake made by Michaels(Community Manager).

What do you think ?? : "Missing" new features in Amber? - Nokia Support Discussions

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Why would they not include a feature that has been present in budget Nokia phones from years ? My first lumia 510 had it which came out before the 620 and it was much lower in specification.

Because Microsoft requires all OEMs to make WP7 with FM hardware built in. Why they didn't for WP8 is beyond me. I was hoping it would be mandatory again, but honestly I'm not missing it.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Because Microsoft requires all OEMs to make WP7 with FM hardware built in. Why they didn't for WP8 is beyond me. I was hoping it would be mandatory again, but honestly I'm not missing it.
When WP8 released FM was not part of the feature set and nothing was announced by Microsoft as well whether it would be coming in a future update. In this scenario why would the manufacturer add the hardware which would be redundant anyways...hence they might have excluded the hardware to save on manufacturing cost

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to share what I think, and I think that there isn't any real reason for it not to be included. I might be completely unreasonable, but it doesn't seem like Glance and/or Tap to Wake would be too hard to add, at least in comparison to other possible changes. Of course, it might be true that Nokia didn't have time to do it because of the vast number of Lumia models, but if so, Nokia should implement it soon. It won't be too much for the phone to handle (spec limitations), it's simply a moving clock and double tap! Right?

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to share what I think, and I think that there isn't any real reason for it not to be included. I might be completely unreasonable, but it doesn't seem like Glance and/or Tap to Wake would be too hard to add, at least in comparison to other possible changes. Of course, it might be true that Nokia didn't have time to do it because of the vast number of Lumia models, but if so, Nokia should implement it soon. It won't be too much for the phone to handle (spec limitations), it's simply a moving clock and double tap! Right?

Glance on the 720 doesn't make sense because it doesn't have an AMOLED screen. So if Glance was implemented on the 720 it would be a real battery killer - so not very practical.

I suspect that 'double-tap to wake' also isn't implemented for this reason. The screen probably needs to be powered for the digitizer to work, so would be a battery killer on a non-AMOLED device.

It all works on an AMOLED screen because only the non-black pixels require power, whereas on a LED panel all pixels are powered, even if the screen is black.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Glance on the 720 doesn't make sense because it doesn't have an AMOLED screen. So if Glance was implemented on the 720 it would be a real battery killer - so not very practical.

I suspect that 'double-tap to wake' also isn't implemented for this reason. The screen probably needs to be powered for the digitizer to work, so would be a battery killer on a non-AMOLED device.

It all works on an AMOLED screen because only the non-black pixels require power, whereas on a LED panel all pixels are powered, even if the screen is black.

Lumia 920 doesn't have the AMOLED display but it's still ok with the Glance + double tap. Lumia 625 also doens't have AMOLED but it has the double tap.
So, the only reason NOK didn't implement double tap function because they want to sell more devices, like new 625, or high-end devices.

BTW, the thread mentioned about the Double tap, not the Glance screen. Lumia 720 still has the Glance.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 doesn't have the AMOLED display but it's still ok with the Glance + double tap. Lumia 625 also doens't have AMOLED but it has the double tap.
So, the only reason NOK didn't implement double tap function because they want to sell more devices, like new 625, or high-end devices.

BTW, the thread mentioned about the Double tap, not the Glance screen. Lumia 720 still has the Glance.
920 has bigger battery to ppower that non AMOLED screen, right?

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
just improve the OS, functionality, stability and more apps compatibility for 512MB device in the future
other feature like glance or taptap just a trash

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
the people posting in that forum are why bitches and it appears that you are too

you didnt buy a phone with radio so why do expect a phone with radio...

it was never on the spec sheets and there was no promise that it would come in the future

it is a specific nokia add on that nokia enabled because the hardware supports it

it is like no lte on a nexus 4

would you buy and then ***** that it doesnt have lte even though the hardware supports it? if you want a phone with lte but a phone with lte

if nokia said it was 5 inches and it turned out to be 3 then you would be justified... the same goes for double tap and glance screen

you dont see samsung and htc ******** about not getting those features... why? because they werent promised. they didnt buy a device without those features expecting to get those features

its like buying an android phone with gingerbread and expecting to get jellybean... if you want a phone with jellybean then buy a phone with jellybean

stop ********

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Lets say Nokia actually implemented the glance screen on those phones, and put a big notice on the update screen saying "THIS WILL DRAIN YOUR BATTERY QUICKLY".

Nobody will bother reading it, everyone will use it, then all the owners will be venting their nerd rage about the battery life with this new feature. Whatever they do, Nokia get moaned at.

I'd be gutted if some cool feature came out in the next update, and my phone didn't support it, but i'd man up and deal with it, because Nokia don't just take these decisions to annoy people, there's always a good reason.

you've said it best... some people think that they are more knowledgeable than nokia about a product nokia made

chances are this would drain the battery dry in minutes then all over the forums all you would hear is

NOKIA AMBER UPDATE DRAINED MY BATTERY

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Wait, 720 doesn't get the Glance screen? Well screw Nokia then. I bought the 720 after Amber was announced thinking I'd get the Glance screen. This is my first Nokia in all of my life and was really looking forward to Glance... well, this doesn't exactly encourage to buy another Nokia in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers