Why not support the update features Amber woke click screen for Lumia 520, 620, 720?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Wait, 720 doesn't get the Glance screen? Well screw Nokia then. I bought the 720 after Amber was announced thinking I'd get the Glance screen. This is my first Nokia in all of my life and was really looking forward to Glance... well, this doesn't exactly encourage to buy another Nokia in the future.

Who said that the 720 isn't getting Glance? From what I've read the 720 is getting Glance but not Double tap to wake. The Glance feature can be enabled after you have updated to Amber and then updated your Display and Touch system app.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It's all about Nokia, not any hardware limitation

You don't know this. This is your assumption, and while that is fine, we all need to acknowledge that a very high probability exists that our assumptions are wrong.

What I do know (now), is that it isn't possible to guess a display's battery drain based only on its technology (LCD vs. AMOLED) and screen content. That is a gross oversimplification.

An LCD panel's battery drain depends on many things. The number of backlights/display size, their quality/cost, brightness (which increases at 1/4th the rate of applied power), and a dozen tricks OEMs can use to reduce power usage, not all of which can be achieved with any LCD panel, like the ability to power up only some of the backlight LEDs. Anyway, it isn't intuitive. For example, the display on the L520 is quite a power hog, despite being the smallest LCD display on a Lumia device.

My point is, while you may be correct, in that Nokia is using the glance feature as a means of product differentiation (high end vs. low end) display technology is complicated enough to acknowledge the possibility that battery drain truly may be the main issue, particularly with lower cost LCD panels, as used on the L620, L520, etc

Rahul Nirwan

May 13, 2013
Visit site
My thought is that the person could be wrong ( I hope he is wrong). All we can do is wait. Crying about it until we dont know for sure what the update will bring is lame.
Now the link is about L520 by ATT covered by WPC which "HAS" double tap functionality. So tell me one thing, why cant other phones have that functionality? I have a L620 and would like to have the functionality that was promised by nokia but crying isnt gonna help. Will it?

AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 with GDR2 and Amber on board; unboxing and quick tour | Windows Phone Central

mohit sood

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Did you buy your 720 expecting there to be an FM radio on it?

dude its not about with what expectation we bought 720 its when every1 has lost faith in nokia we havent, and since i have always used nokia since 3315 era it feels sad and we feel betrayed.. should have gone with stinky s3 :( atleast wudnt had to wait for updates like hell and also wudnt hav been made a fool out here

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
dude its not about with what expectation we bought 720 its when every1 has lost faith in nokia we havent, and since i have always used nokia since 3315 era it feels sad and we feel betrayed.. should have gone with stinky s3 :( atleast wudnt had to wait for updates like hell and also wudnt hav been made a fool out here

You obviously don't know anything about the update process for the S3. The 4.2.2 update has been delayed twice now and has been put back to the end of the year from the original date at the start of the summer. Also, good luck with double tap to wake on the S3 or glance screen for that matter

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This attitude will only kill WP8. if ppl were to buy phones for their current feature set expecting no updates then a majority of early adopters wud nvr hv bought a WP7.5/WP8 device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234