Buying HTC 8X

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm planning on buying HTC 8X.. I just love it's looks and I'm not that much of photographer. I'm using Xperia U right now and wanna give a try to WP8 just because how smooth it is and how beautiful the UI is. But I'm a bit confused because of the processor and actually because of the GPU. It's just the Adreno 225 and I'm afraid in just 3-4 months there will be devices with Adreno 320.. But I don't want to wait and don't want to regret as well.. Shall I go for it or wait?? :confused:
Sent from my ST25i using WPCentral Forums mobile app

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm planning on buying HTC 8X.. I just love it's looks and I'm not that much of photographer. I'm using Xperia U right now and wanna give a try to WP8 just because how smooth it is and how beautiful the UI is. But I'm a bit confused because of the processor and actually because of the GPU. It's just the Adreno 225 and I'm afraid in just 3-4 months there will be devices with Adreno 320.. But I don't want to wait and don't want to regret as well.. Shall I go for it or wait?? :confused:

no go for lumia 820 or 920 since you wont get nokia exclusive apps in htc,amber update is out for nokia 920,820 which brings many new features in device which is still not available in htc.htc has the lowest market share in windows phone.if you want batter camera and more memory(32gb) get 920 else 820 will be just fine.

listeningtree

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
It's just the Adreno 225 and I'm afraid in just 3-4 months there will be devices with Adreno 320.. But I don't want to wait and don't want to regret as well..

No offense, but thinking like this is like saying you're never going to get a phone. :) There will always be something better. That's technology for you.

Just do it.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Actually lumia 920 is out of my budget, and I don't want to spend that much on a phone.. I don't do navigation so much so it won't be a problem for me. Also not the Nokia music cause we don't have unlimited data plans at my place to stream music.. And I kind of like 8X's looks and like that how slim and lightweight it is. Also single handed operations also matter to me so I'm considering 8X. Can you tell me what features I'll exactly miss on 8X other than voice guided navigation, Nokia music, glance screen and OIS of 920. I'd consider 820 but the WVGA resolution is a deal breaker for me. I want a phone to show off my friends who hold the S3 and iPhone 5.. :D

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
No offense, but thinking like this is like saying you're never going to get a phone. :) There will always be something better. That's technology for you.

Just do it.

Yeah dude you are right.. So if the second generation of Windows phones featured 320 inside them still we'll have games optimized for 225 or it'll be like the devices with 512mb ram where it takes ages for them to optimize.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah dude you are right.. So if the second generation of Windows phones featured 320 inside them still we'll have games optimized for 225 or it'll be like the devices with 512mb ram where it takes ages for them to optimize.

I first purchased htc 8x I too considered its slims design, one hand operation but on the same day I noticed its memory is fixed to 16GB (no memory card support ) a huge disappointment to me so I thought for 820 or 920 ( I preferred 920 coz of 32gb,better camera and great apps). but if you look at 820 it has great spec in terms like 8gb memeory,expandable by memeory card upto 64 GB,aderno 225 graphics,1gb ram, all games work smoothly on this device ( my cousin have this , she too cant afford the 920 so I guided her to buy this ) even if voice guided navigation is not for you still its a neat feature lol its free,nokia music (the songs downloaded are highly compressed 700-800kb per song)and they are drm free) htc is very poor in terms of system update nokia hands down amber changed the experience of windows phone for me. the smart cam is a show off app :p my friends are jelous. I would highly recommend you lumia 820. if you look on flipkart the price for lumia 820 is Rs. 19800 where as for htc 8x it is Rs. 22999 . so its all upto you. you will pay less for 820 and get more. and yes htc 8x has beats audio but 820 too has Dolby sound. 820 is AMOLED ClearBlack display which shows great details of colours and you can even see the screen in sun light(it adapts the display automatically). super sentive touh so you can use while wearing gloves in winters.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had the 8x since November and I love it. I don't think you'll be missing much, especially if you don't care too much about photography. But the 8x camera isn't too shabby. It is a really snappy phone, it rarely if ever lags. About the navigation, I'm not sure why others are saying the 8x doesn't have it. I've got nokia's here maps, here drive, and here transit. They work great and are free. I think the 16GB is plenty, but everyone has different needs. I don't know what carrier you have but the Verizon version has qi wireless charging. If you snag the 8x you won't be disappointed.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had the 8x since November and I love it. I don't think you'll be missing much, especially if you don't care too much about photography. But the 8x camera isn't too shabby. It is a really snappy phone, it rarely if ever lags. About the navigation, I'm not sure why others are saying the 8x doesn't have it. I've got nokia's here maps, here drive, and here transit. They work great and are free. I think the 16GB is plenty, but everyone has different needs. I don't know what carrier you have but the Verizon version has qi wireless charging. If you snag the 8x you won't be disappointed.

Exactly what I was thinking.. You can say I don't travel at all.. I'm a college student guys not a businessman to travel every other day and neither do have I a car so voice guided navigation is the least used thing on my phone. Nokia music is something that could matter but it can't convince me over the looks of 8X. About the display I don't like 720p AMOLED screen of Galaxy S3, doubt I'll like 820's WVGA screen. I prefer LCDs because of natural colours. And I want a phone with excellent music quality I think HTC has an edge over here.. About the memory 16GB is a bit cramped up but I can live with it as my music collection doesn't go beyond 2GB cause I keep changing the songs that I put on my phone.. I'm managing quite good with my current phone Xperia U which has only 4GB memory..

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
no go for lumia 820 or 920 since you wont get nokia exclusive apps in htc,amber update is out for nokia 920,820 which brings many new features in device which is still not available in htc.htc has the lowest market share in windows phone.if you want batter camera and more memory(32gb) get 920 else 820 will be just fine.

I own both a 810 (US 820 variant) and a 8X. As much as people rave over Nokia's OEM support, 8GB internal is still less than 16GB. HTC has the edge over Nokia in terms balance in music. While Beats is somewhat of a gimmick, it sounds better than what's on the Lumias. If you want a balanced phone with high end experience and can manage the 16GB internals, the 8X is superior in most ways to the 820. It has the better audio experience, camera experience, weight ratio, and design.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I own both a 810 (US 820 variant) and a 8X. As much as people rave over Nokia's OEM support, 8GB internal is still less than 16GB. HTC has the edge over Nokia in terms balance in music. While Beats is somewhat of a gimmick, it sounds better than what's on the Lumias. If you want a balanced phone with high end experience and can manage the 16GB internals, the 8X is superior in most ways to the 820. It has the better audio experience, camera experience, weight ratio, and design.

Thanks dude I'll settle with 8X then..
And what about FB app of WP8?? Cause I use FB chat a lot with my friends and I want to get notified everytime I get a msg on FB but I heard that WP FB app has probs with notifications

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks dude I'll settle with 8X then..
And what about FB app of WP8?? Cause I use FB chat a lot with my friends and I want to get notified everytime I get a msg on FB but I heard that WP FB app has probs with notifications

Well, I'm not a FB guy so I will answer it this way. With the phonebook on WP, if you sign into FB, your contacts get added and stuff there. Which mean you can see status updates and stuff without having to open the FB app itself. You can use the app as a compliment to get notifications and do the chats there too. You can get notifications on the lockscreen and toast bar. While they won't last as long in the notification area as they do in Android, you can still get your updates. Dig around in the 8X forums to see what other people who use FB more than I have to say about this.

Now, yes, Nokia's support is great. They HAVE TO, because that's their ONLY OS they use. The 8X's battery is OK. The cam is plenty good if you're posting pictures to FB and the front cam is one of the best around for video chats.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Terrible battery to hardware ratio

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually lumia 920 is out of my budget, and I don't want to spend that much on a phone.. I don't do navigation so much so it won't be a problem for me. Also not the Nokia music cause we don't have unlimited data plans at my place to stream music.. And I kind of like 8X's looks and like that how slim and lightweight it is. Also single handed operations also matter to me so I'm considering 8X. Can you tell me what features I'll exactly miss on 8X other than voice guided navigation, Nokia music, glance screen and OIS of 920. I'd consider 820 but the WVGA resolution is a deal breaker for me. I want a phone to show off my friends who hold the S3 and iPhone 5.. :D

Check 720 in a store.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Check 720 in a store.

Nah.. 720 has just 512MB RAM 720p only video recording.. No HD screen.. Looks good though but not as good as 8X..
Now about 16GB memory of 8X, if we assume it has 14GB user available memory, I'll split it in 2 parts 8GB for my media and 6GB for apps.. I'll have about 2.5GB of songs 1GB of photos and the remaining 4.5GB for video recording so this fills my 8GB for media storage now for apps with 6GB kept for apps and games and that OTHER storage I'll be able to put maximum 2 HD games.. I'll constantly backing up my media to my lappy so limited storage for media is not my problem. However when I finish a game and want to install another one, can I back up tha all tha game data to PC and delete it from phone and let's say when in the future I thought to play the game again I won't have to download the game again and won't have to start from the first level again.. This is my only concern..

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
^You wrote those calculations, am not sure how you did those maths (because am very poor at it), but I do know that your estimations will take a swing in the air once you start downloading apps.
Also 13 GB is available to the user, not 14 ;).
2.02 Gigs is taken by the OS, and there's another label called 'Other' which eats some more memory.

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I own the 8X and it's an okay device... The camera is kind of bad w/ macros (or my device might be faulty) but everything else is ok. Runs smooth, although now it lags... (**** OTHER STORAGE).
However, I would go for a 920 in a heart-beat if I were you. Why? Because you WILL NOT BE LEFT IN THE DARK. You may think that "Whatever I don't needs any of these exclusive apps". Think twice, cuz that's what I also said.

If you don't really care about the apps & better camera just get the 8X. I love it! Too bad HTC has got bad customer quality (at least with WP). However my next phone will definetly be a Lumia, unless HTC gets their **** together.

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
For someone considering 8X, 920 is hardly the best alternative, as it is a different kind of device. Maybe 925 has more of a 8X going for it.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Have had my 8x since November as well - will concur with smoheath - the camera is actually pretty good its surprised me a few times with pictures I have taken. You sound like you treat your music the same way as me - I only ever load up what I intend to listen to that day or week so the 16gb storage isn't an issue. I will add that with gdr2 and the following firmware update that got pushed out last week my other storage isn't an issue any more - the phone seems to clear that cache on a regular basis now and its sitting at around 2gb

As for your query about the games I think only xbox live games will hold your data if you delete the app from the phone and want to re-install at a later date as achievements and progress are tied to your xbox live account.

One other thing as well about the 8X - HTC's build quality in my opinion is better than Nokias at the moment and can take a bit more of a beating. I had an HTC HD7 before my 8x and over two years it got dropped so many times from varying heights, kicked, stepped on and abused by my 1 year old daughter and it never had any issues and still works perfectly as I passed it on to a friend. Ive also dropped my 8x a few times since ive had it and its been put through its paces by my now 3 year old daughter and its still working perfectly with no scuffs or scratches. Now comparing that to the six Nokia owners I know and they have all had issues with the screens and problems with the camera with the smallest of drops or scrapes and initial build quality issues from new. Two of them are both on there 3rd 920.

Im not saying that's true for all Nokias and I may well just be lucky with my 8X but in my book I would rather go with HTC's next device for WP than a Nokia.

PCUser271

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Htc 8x is good enough based on your needs. I'm using 8x and yes, as your preference, i like lcd screen more than amoled (920 is lcd too)

I already used galaxy s advance (super amoled) and iphone 4 (ips lcd) before. I like iphone 4 screen better than s advance.

For sound, beats audio in 8x is amazingly superb. I dont know how the nokia's dolby does, but beats already grab my soul.

The only downside is, to me, 16gb is not enough for me (16gb of my previous iphone 4 was more than enough and no worry, thats why i go for htc 8x). And now, i'm using 8x for photos and apps, whereas the music, i listen through my htc desire c (also got beats audio)

Hope this will help =)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on what's available in OP's price point. OP, I'd be a bit more conservative with your storage calculations...but I still think you can manage just fine with the 8X.

Personally, I'm getting tired of people talking about Nokia's OEM support as a reason to make up for compromised hardware elements at certain prices. For me, my 810 has been no different than any of the other devices I've owned that use WP. Hardware wise, the 8X only loses out to 3 phones: 920/925, 1020 and Ativ S. At its current price point, it is a great buy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo