Samsung ATIV S has a notification light!

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So I have a fever today and I had trouble sleeping and my friends were spamming my WhatsApp group. Then my phone vibrated like crazy.

I picked it up and saw a blinking red light beside the front camera! It went off as soon as the display turned on!

I couldn't believe it so I sent a bunch of text messages to my phone (note you have to be completely in the dark to notice) and quickly locked my phone. Sure enough, the red light came back again! The ATIV S has a notification light! I wonder what Samsung will do with it :)

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thats the proximity sensor. The behaviour of the device is designed so, that if you get a text message for example, the proximity sensor turns on to see if the device is in your pocket. If so, it delays the toast notification and turning on the screen until you have got the device out from your pocket. I don’t remember how long, but it waits for X amount of time to turn the screen on. If the device is still in your pocket when that time has passed, the toast notification is gone.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Reason No. 1 in my new list as to why I should hate Nokia, I so much love notification lights since I started using Blackberry.

dw852

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
That must be your imagination because of the fever... :wink:
My last phone Moto had this light and I loved it so much.

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to be the obvious guy here: That's the proximity sensor, not a notification light. It always turns on (faint red) to check if it's not obstructed (in your pocket, for example) before allowing the screen to turn on.

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
To replicate what this guy is saying:
A) Have your phone prevent unlocking while in your pocket.
B) Lock your phone
C) Turn of the lights, and press the camera button. The proximity censor will turn up (faint red).

Still not a notification light.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire