Ok guys I'm stupid, plz help.

cmore675

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
when I plugged in my 1020 to my xp machine for the first time, the window popped up that said. Open files or take no action.I stupidly clicked "no action". Now my pc doesn't see the phone so I can't put stuff on it. What can I do.

I'm feeling pretty dumb...and sad.:unhappy:

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
There have been some other threads about XP not recognizing WP. I haven't followed them so idk if they found a resolution. But I would try to find those threads and see

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
when I plugged in my 1020 to my xp machine for the first time, the window popped up that said. Open files or take no action.I stupidly clicked "no action". Now my pc doesn't see the phone so I can't put stuff on it. What can I do.

I'm feeling pretty dumb...and sad.:unhappy:

Check your system tray. You might find a phone icon there. This explains it.

I don't think you did anything to deserve feeling dumb, but if you insist, then that would be running Windows XP in 2013. :shocked:

No need to run out and upgrade to Windows 8 right now, but you need to start thinking about it and planning for it. The next version of WP (8.1) will include at least a few features that XP simply won't support. Message synching and IE tab synchronization are two. Going forward we will see this more and more.

cmore675

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yea I'll be upgrading my computers soon. I have 2 XP Desktops that I still use, and a laptop than runs Vista (which sucks btw.)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yea I'll be upgrading my computers soon. I have 2 XP Desktops that I still use, and a laptop than runs Vista (which sucks btw.)

Sounds good. At this point it's probably best to wait for Windows 8.1, which was just RTM'd, so don't jump the gun. ;-) As an added benefit, you will also get better performance from your Vista laptop after upgrading it to Windows 8 (do a fresh install, not just an update).

Final thing. Be aware that to avoid culture shock, you will need to do some reading before jumping into Windows 8. It is different. You might also want to take a look at this.

So, did you find anything in the system tray?

Last edited:

cmore675

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Haven't tried it yet, I have it doing some other things right now so it's a bit busy. I'll try it later. TY so much for your help.

Jeric820PH

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I forgot if XP has this. But in Win 7 couldnt we use the "Add device" located in the Control Panel and it will search for devices that are plugged? Not sure though D:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Go to
Control Panel
Hardware and Sound
Under Media, find the type of media that you want to change the AutoPlay setting for.
Click the action that you want AutoPlay to take when you insert that type of media into your computer.
Save

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss