Why doesn't Lumia 1020 turn on anymore?

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I decided to reboot my phone because the battery seemed to be running lower than normal, now there's no display at all and I don't know if it has broken. When it's plugged into the computer it is still recognized, but theres no display.

Anyone have any advice?

David Skerritt

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
re:

Yes, same here but took 15 seconds to respond. Why does this phone keep doing this? It seems to happen a couple of times a week. After quitting apps with the back arrow, put the phone down and when I go back to it, it's dead as a dodo! This is a very big problem with the 1020 and Nokia need to sort out a fix.

David Skerritt

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
re:

Did the reboot (Vol down and power) but now phone has wrong date and time. Showed 20 July and 12.36pm, but it is really 5 Feb, 9.09 AM! Shut down and started again, now shows 25 Jan 14.28! Any ideas anyone?

markyb40

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
re:

I agree this phone has some issues and one of them is just turning off at random for no reason and not responding to the power switch - you need to use the vol down and power for 15 secs plus. Really annoying Microsoft and Nokia - please sort this out soon!!!

Liz Pommer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
re:

Thanks for the tip about holding the volume down and power key for 15+ seconds - gold!! I've been taking my phone to my friendly phone clinic every week or so because it just randomly turns off and I couldn't get it turned on again. Obviously the vol down and power key trick is in place of what we used to do back in the day - open the case, take the battery out and turn the phone back on!! I'll be sharing this with my phone guy but please - MICROSOFT/NOKIA SHARE THIS WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS!!

carayu

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
re:

:unhappy: usually my phone las me the whole day including running apps while skytrain home. however at school today it died fast. i was uploading my pictures on to computer, and i unplugged my usb cable. when i unplug it says it has 99% battery so i left phone there.... guess what? first time phone completely drained out of battery. i have zero app open, all i did was left the case of my phone open while i transfered the pictures... usually when i carry my phone i always close my case and opening will see time...

now i know the quickest draining battery reason:leaving your display on.

so when you dont use your phone. remember to press power button so it goes to the clock standby mode and goes to dark when you have case. if you left it on homepage on the whole time your battery wouldnt even last 6hrs...

p.s. this post is reply to david on post #6. god ipad cant copy and paste. i assumed the reason david's phone die is leaving the phone on not in lock-screen and dark-screen mode.

Last edited:

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Mine has also died and refused to wake a couple of times. The volume/power trick gets it going again, but it alway reverts to the date may 22 2013! I wonder if that is the manufacture date?
This has only been an issue since 8.1, along with battery drain.

Rambod Jamali

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
my lumia 1020 some time without using that turn off automatically and can not on again with power bottom
for start again i have only one way and that is press power and volume bottom together
and after on time and date is error shall be up to date again
some time this problem was after one week and some time is every day
can you help me

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Getting really fed up now. Phone sometimes restarts during the night which means my alarm fails to go of in the morning as the time is wrong. It seizes up when texting and sometimes switches itself off during the day so I miss calls/ reminders.

I loved the phone before 8.1, wish I hadn't updated as it's fast becoming useless.

JimBeam12

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine just went dead today, useless piece of crap. Luckily, I still have warranty, if they will repair it, I'll sell it. I'm done with lumia,microsoft, whatever. My 3 year old iPhone 4s never did this crap to me.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I've a iPhone 4S that needed soft-resetting on a much more regular basis than my 1020 did. Horses for courses :smile:

Could be some app crashing it. You could test to determine if handset or app fault by factory resetting it, not installing any apps and seeing if the problem persists. If so, handset is at fault.

GrislyGrizzly

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Is there like a definitive thread on this issue? My phone has been doing this on and off since August, after I bought it in July. It actually behaved normally for probably two months, but this week the problem returned and it's already shut down completely three times. I know all about the soft reset trick, but I have alarms and stuff that I can't really rely on when I can't rely on my phone to even be on in the morning. Is it a battery issue? An OS issue? Does reformatting the phone help? I've seen a few recent threads for this issue but I don't really know what keywords to use to find the most helpful thread for whatever this crap is that is happening to our phones. I spent $600 on my Lumia 1020, unlocked/unbranded from the online Microsoft Store, and I'm beginning to feel like a tool for throwing all that money at what I thought was this amazing thing, which I can't even trust to stay on.

GrislyGrizzly

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that's an option for me. I flashed the firmware to RM-877 (Rogers Canada) so I would get all the Lumia Black/Cyan/Denim (still waiting on Denim though) updates on time. Out of the box, the unbranded phone didn't seem to be eligible yet for even Cyan, but again that was in July. My first thought was to just return the phone too, but I think I've voided my warranty by flashing the ROM.

Ab-47

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Well I just registered on this forum to thank you all for such great advice! I have a lumia 1020 and it wasn't starting up..

So here's what happened, as any usual day, I left my phone on charge whilst I was using my laptop, before going to sleep I took my phone off of charge, powered it off and put it underneath my pillow. The next morning I wake up, try turning on my phone and it vibrates. I left it in my pocket till it turned on then when I took it out again, it wasn't turning on at all. And yes, just like you guys, I was damn scared.. :3 but yeah, I tried what you all did and I found the solution to my problem and it started. So thank you so so much! I'm really happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon