HTC 8X storage issues

Unicron109

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else having issues with storage on their HTC 8X. I knew I didn't have much space left thanks to my love of Xbox gaming but I have gone down to MB even after a mass clearing of games and apps. Any solutions or apps that can help manage my storage dilemma?

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else having issues with storage on their HTC 8X. I knew I didn't have much space left thanks to my love of Xbox gaming but I have gone down to MB even after a mass clearing of games and apps. Any solutions or apps that can help manage my storage dilemma?

Dude I have an 8GB HTC device and I gained 1.3 gigs back from the others storage because of gdr2 and wpcentrals trick. What you do is you change your date to a minimum of 2 weeks in advanced (i.e. September 13 or after if I were doing it today) and then u use this app called shrink storage. Fill your phone with that app, turn off your phone and then clear the space. And repeat a couple of times. It should work pretty well! It never used to work before gdr2 for me but now it's doing it's job :). Also don't waste ur time with it. Maybe 3-4 times a day max. Lol it can get bothersome waiting on ur phone. But I'm really happy now.

listeningtree

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

You can also try installing HTC's Make More Space app. If that doesn't work, you might have to consider factory resetting it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The "other" storage is necessary for the functioning of the phone, it basically contains app data and cached files, and your offline maps too (the maps for the entire USA can take up a sizeable lump).

GDR2 cures the continual bloating of the "other" folder, but you won't be able to clear the folder itself (it'll just shrink to what's actually needed).

If you don't yet have GDR2, then a factory reset will clear any over-bloat. If you do have GDR2, then you need to live with the amount you have there, or delete some content from apps that put data into it (like delete some offline maps if you don't need them).

Without giving us figures as to what amounts you have in each category in settings->storage, it's hard to recommend solutions.

My phone has an "other" category of 1.75Gb and it's remained static (under 2Gb) for some months.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
You can also try installing HTC's Make More Space app. If that doesn't work, you might have to consider factory resetting it.

Hey the make more space app has been telling me forever that it has 800 MB of temp files and when I click nothing happens... Do u know what's up? A lot of ppl say this happens too

Unicron109

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Well I have only recently saw how much my other is taking up. Half my storage a whooping 7.6 GB and I just got the GDR2 the other day. Music + Videos 1.46 Pictures 603.15 MB Apps 2.1 Other 7.63 System 2.14 Free Space 378.03 MB

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I have only recently saw how much my other is taking up. Half my storage a whooping 7.6 GB and I just got the GDR2 the other day. Music + Videos 1.46 Pictures 603.15 MB Apps 2.1 Other 7.63 System 2.14 Free Space 378.03 MB

whoa man definitely able to free up space using my method! Try it out and tell me how it goes brotha

bogartrules

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
This phone has made me a believer In going back to the IPHONE i will never use a windows phone again or buy a htc anything this 8x is the most worthless phone I have ever used. I am very lucky i bought it from Best Buy with insurance as this is the 3rd one I have had and every one failed either software or hardware failure. Did they even test these phones out? and if i had known I could only use 2 gig of the 8 while other gets 4gig and the os gets the other 2. I cannot believe this was ever released. Sorry if I am ranting in the wrong forum but if this is the basis of the windows phones I have learned my lesson.

bogartrules

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
P.S. I have tried everything to get some space back. And nothing works with this HTC 8x. If anyone wants to buy this one I am selling LoL Seriously this is so frustrating I really did want to like this windows phone but this has seriously shown me that these phones are not worth what they cost in monetary loss or frustration gain wise.

WPUser3

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I am also having major storage issues with HTC 8x 16gb from Rogers running gdr3, out of nowhere phone's storage filled up i only have 18mb left!!! due to this phone is constantly freezing up... is this a problem specific to HTC 8x or to Windows Phone 8?

rocking23nf

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am also having major storage issues with HTC 8x 16gb from Rogers running gdr3, out of nowhere phone's storage filled up i only have 18mb left!!! due to this phone is constantly freezing up... is this a problem specific to HTC 8x or to Windows Phone 8?

if you clear your temp files does it improve? the freezing is this model of phone I think, I will never buy another HTC item in my life, this phone will never last 3 years. some days mine reboots 10 times.

WPUser3

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
if you clear your temp files does it improve? the freezing is this model of phone I think, I will never buy another HTC item in my life, this phone will never last 3 years. some days mine reboots 10 times.

update, looks like the phone's storage got filled up when my phone was doing app updates, temp files finally cleared, removed a few games now have 800mb free, phone is operational again.. phew :)

JHunsaker

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I had a lot of other storage issues with my 8X and GDR2 didn't clean them up. I wonder if GDR2 was really suppose to fix the issue if it already existed or just make sure it didn't keep happening in the future. I had around 8GB in my other storage that would never clear so I decided to reset my phone. Resetting my phone solved my issues and I now have GDR3. My other storage generally hangs around 300MB and I have never seen it over 600MB.

Painkillerhu

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys!
I have a serious issue. Recently I updated my apps ( one of them was Dungeon Hunter 4) and while updating I have run out of storage so I deleted some of my apps, but still I haven't got enough to continue the updating so I cancelled the update of Dungen Hunter and I deleted it. And my Htc still says that i dont have enough space! I added together the numbers in phone storage and I should have around 4-5 gb free space. And the bar in the phone storage menu is displaying correctly...
Help me pls!:)

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this problem for a long time, since I got my 8x last December.
I had to factory reset my phone about 3 times and can't get the other storage to stay below the 200 Mb no matter what I do. I tried the Make more storage app but its useless. Wish we get an app similar to Nokia's tool.
I think this is the last HTC I'll get.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this problem for a long time, since I got my 8x last December.
I had to factory reset my phone about 3 times and can't get the other storage to stay below the 200 Mb no matter what I do. I tried the Make more storage app but its useless. Wish we get an app similar to Nokia's tool.
I think this is the last HTC I'll get.

YYou will never have that low temp storage. Cached pictures, tombstoned apps, SkyDrive pics (thumbnails), etc. are all temp storage. The more apps you use, the more temp storage you will have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)