Huh.. upgrade pricing on ATT 1020 ten months after getting 920

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
usually they will offer to buy your old phone back, did they give you a price for your 920? and you do notice the 32 a month added to the bill right?

That's just if you are on AT&T next, you should not have additional charges on your monthly bill for a contract upgrade.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
usually they will offer to buy your old phone back, did they give you a price for your 920? and you do notice the 32 a month added to the bill right?

I was wondering if I was reading that wrong (and if so: d'Oh!), but it looks like on the left it gives details for ATT 'Next' pricing which adds the $32 to your bill, and on the right it states the 2-year commitment pricing, so I think I'd get to pick that one and not have an increase in my monthly payment.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Note that the 920 has something the 1020 doesn't: wireless charging. If you want that, you're going to have to put the charging cover on and then you're right back to the weight of the 920. Personally I think it's worth it, but I sure wouldn't mind a smaller, lighter phone.

I miss the wireless charging option on the Lumia 920. I was an early adopter and received my Lumia in early November. I'm of two minds of having / not having this feature.

On one hand, when I'm using the 1020 it is likely for the camera. I have taken a lot of pictures with the phone and I don't always have the benefit of open Wi-Fi (that I trust) to backup my photos in high res to the AT&T Locker. When I am at the office or at home I have the 1020 hooked up to a computer to move pictures back and forth.

On the other hand, I know that over time I'm going to put some wear on the USB port. It was nice knowing that I wasn't going to start defacing the phone early on with repeated insertion and removal of a USB cable. Another positive is fewer wires in general - with my 920 I was able to park my phone at work just in front of my keyboard and let it charge. It was out of the way, the only was from my headphones. I very stupidly gave up my wired / bluetooth combination headset (we use VOIP at the office) and it could stream crystal clear music on my headset and I'd never have to remove it. Now I have to take out an earbud to answer a phone call - very sad.

(It was a Plantronics by the way...)

The only "anytime" discount I can get with AT&T is on iPhones. And that's after about a year of service with them.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I miss the wireless charging option on the Lumia 920.

I do like that feature a lot, I have one on my desk at work, and one at home. Kind of wasteful to stop using those as well. I almost went through with buying the 1020 in a store just now, I really like the weight and the AMOLED screen. Assuming my upgrade eligibility is just a lucky accident though I might just hang onto it for the next Nokia flagship. Here's to hoping for a 1030 Holiday season edition with WP8.1, a less pronounced camera hump, microSD slot, faster camera startup, and shorter shot-to-shot times.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded after 10 months from the 900 to 920 for around $250 (before the Next program started), just to be on the current platform. The sales rep always tells you you can only do an early upgrade with an iPhone. Ask them to make the magic phone call for permission to advance to the next screen. You'll get a 1020 or whatever you want more than likely, as long as they get the cash. Right now I'm very happy with the 920 and don't see myself upgrading early a second time. Just a side note... why do the 1020 commercials feature a banana-colored phone? Does it help the cause any? Most stores wind up carrying just the black version anyway.

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Take advantage of it whether a 1020 or iphone, i would try to get an iphone for resell or get the 1020 and sell your 920.

Our company had the same benefit, not sure intentional or by accident, i think accident. We ordered like 600 devices in 2011, within 6 months 100 of them or so were already eligible for upgrades so we took advantage of a few. I think it was a mistake so i nevr brought it up :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Take advantage of it, but make sure that you really really want a 1020 first.

Noted. As I said earlier, it looks like I might even be able to resist and wait for the next amazing Lumia flagship. Thanks for all the feedback guys, and too bad this isn't a company wide promotion.

jayson728

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
You can always call and ask for a early upgrade. If they do not want to comply then give them all 1's when they txt you the customer satisfaction survey. You will get a call asking why you gave them a fail and most likely get a offer then. Worked for a friend of mine.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You're overthinking it. This is want, not a need. You either want it or you don't. There is no need to overthink a "want".

Actually we all should overthink wants. Living for instant gratification is why people make irresponsible decisions; carry too much debt; elevate their own desires above the needs of others, society, the planet, etc.. If people, for instance, either rented or purchased houses within their means, the economic collapse in 2008 would have been just another recession and not a singular event that continues to impact lives across the globe. I personally find the Ayn Rand view of the world to be fundamentally offensive and an affront to the rights and dignity of most of the people on this planet. Just because you can do something does not make it the right thing to do. Taking a step back to decide whether you want something or genuinely need it is something we should all do.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It has nothing to do with being wasteful. Either you want it or you don't. Either You have the cash or you don't.

Nothing wrong with that.

....and that is an incredibly sad assessment of what has gone wrong in this country. There is everything wrong with impulse buying and living only for instant (or other self) gratification.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Actually we all should overthink wants. Living for instant gratification is why people make irresponsible decisions; carry too much debt; elevate their own desires above the needs of others, society, the planet, etc.. If people, for instance, either rented or purchased houses within their means, the economic collapse in 2008 would have been just another recession and not a singular event that continues to impact lives across the globe. I personally find the Ayn Rand view of the world to be fundamentally offensive and an affront to the rights and dignity of most of the people on this planet. Just because you can do something does not make it the right thing to do. Taking a step back to decide whether you want something or genuinely need it is something we should all do.

Just because you thought you should post a response like that does not mean you should.

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
This is actually one of the few phones i can find that i can justify using an upgrade for. The fantastic camera is a legit deal maker vs any other phone. Now if the price would just drop a little.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
What? Are we still talking about a phone?

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I agree there there are many things wrong with the current level of consumerism, but at least allow me to take high resolution pictures of the apocalypse!

That is too funny! Luckily I don't have the urge to take 41MP photos. I do wish I knew the 925 was coming to AT&T, but I am pretty sure this 920 will suit me well a while. I guess we should all be mindful of our smart phone whorishness and care more about life outside these tiny screens. I'll try my best.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, after dropping my 920 JUST in the wrong way (seriously, there was like miles of carpet and one square inch of speaker stand corner..) I took the plunge and ordered the 1020 for $150 on Amazon. By waiting six weeks I saved myself another $150 on the original upgrade pricing, not bad. Hope UPS doesn't leave it sitting on the doorstep tomorrow..

Minor Nokia gripe: why doesn't the 1020 have wireless charging (a charging cover, really?!) and why does the nice slim and light 925 only have 16GB, and also no wireless charging?! Especially inexcusable after watching how thin these inductive pads are.

Anyway, the 1020 should be a nice replacement, now let's see how good that backup and restore option in WP8 really is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven