Huh.. upgrade pricing on ATT 1020 ten months after getting 920

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was surprised to see that ten months after getting a subsidized AT&T 920 I already qualify for a $299 1020 with 2yr contract and $36 'upgrade penalty'. Is that part of their new rapid update plan? Either way, mighty tempting!

EDIT: Looks more and more like it was just a stroke of luck, not a carefully planned promotion or anything.

Last edited:

ricbon

May 5, 2012
Visit site
(sorry if duplicate, but these keywords are kind of hard to search for!)

i was surprised to see that ten months after getting a subsidized at&t 920 i already qualify for a $299 1020 with 2yr contract and $36 'upgrade penalty'. Is that part of their new rapid update plan? Either way, mighty tempting!
do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting. I bet they're doing it because the $300 is a such good deal for them.

I was wondering if it's some deal with MS or Nokia, given that ATT have so many WP fans tied up with a 920 and a 2yr contract. Below the 'pics or it didn't happen' proof. You're going to have to trust that I did get a 920 last year. :wink:

upgrade.jpg

pricing.jpg

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Consider yourself lucky. I had the 900 and all AT&T could do was offer the 1020 at full price.

I do, except I'm trying very hard to wait for a 1020 version that has microSD (or 64GB internal) and a faster image processing chip. Wish me luck..

I'm still curious if other 920 owners are also eligible. I cross posted (bad Joe, bad!) in the 920 forum to get some feedback, maybe someone can check.

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
Didn't work for me. My wife's Lumia 920 phone was purchased in November 2012, and it shows the 1020 at full price. I'm waiting for the 920 successor, but my wife likes photography so I definitely want to get the 1020 for her.

I'm a Premier customer FWIW. Maybe only non-Premier customers are getting this? I wonder if the stores will offer it?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Didn't work for me. My wife's Lumia 920 phone was purchased in November 2012, and it shows the 1020 at full price. I'm waiting for the 920 successor, but my wife likes photography so I definitely want to get the 1020 for her.

I'm a Premier customer FWIW. Maybe only non-Premier customers are getting this? I wonder if the stores will offer it?

Well sheesh, now I really feel like I should take it! I'm on a FAN discount code, and a few months back I had ATT unlock my phone for overseas travel. Otherwise I think I'm just your run off the mill ATT customer. Maybe they noticed my WP8 obsession and decided to throw me a bone? Any other theories?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't look like much of a good deal to me. What's the point of spending over $300 and suffer an extra year on your contract just to get the same phone with a better camera? For $300 you can get a proper camera that will take photos as good as the Lumia 1020.

I had no idea people were so wasteful with their phones until I came on these forums. They're shockingly cavalier about replacing a phone costing several hundred dollars within a few months of purchase. I mean, it isn't chump change, there's a ton of stuff you can buy for the money being spent on an incremental update of a phone.

But then, I suppose that's what AT&T wants. It's probably why they're dragging their feet with the Amber update on the Lumia 920. Consumers think they're getting a steal, but AT&T is exploiting this impulsiveness for profit.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
That doesn't look like much of a good deal to me. What's the point of spending over $300 and suffer an extra year on your contract just to get the same phone with a better camera? For $300 you can get a proper camera that will take photos as good as the Lumia 1020.

I had no idea people were so wasteful with their phones until I came on these forums. They're shockingly cavalier about replacing a phone costing several hundred dollars within a few months of purchase. I mean, it isn't chump change, there's a ton of stuff you can buy for the money being spent on an incremental update of a phone.

But then, I suppose that's what AT&T wants. It's probably why they're dragging their feet with the Amber update on the Lumia 920. Consumers think they're getting a steal, but AT&T is exploiting this impulsiveness for profit.

You're overthinking it. This is want, not a need. You either want it or you don't. There is no need to overthink a "want".

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
They're shockingly cavalier about replacing a phone costing several hundred dollars within a few months of purchase.

You know, I totally agree, and yet I can't help myself. The only thing holding me back (for like ten more minutes..) is the ridiculous $36 upgrade fee. But hey, with a one-year-early upgrade I probably shouldn't complain.. Resolve fading......

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You know, I totally agree, and yet I can't help myself. The only thing holding me back (for like ten more minutes..) is the ridiculous $36 upgrade fee. But hey, with a one-year-early upgrade I probably shouldn't complain.. Resolve fading......

This has happened to me in the past as well. Not sure how, cuz I bought an HTC Titan 2 years ago, and last year I was eligible for an upgrade to a 920 (after 12 months) haha. But this year, it says I'm not eligible for an upgrade :(

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

It has nothing to do with being wasteful. Either you want it or you don't. Either You have the cash or you don't.

Nothing wrong with that.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 is a fantastic phone, a nice camera and overall a good upgrade from the Lumia 920. However, the more l look at the 925 the more I wish I would have (1) known it was coming and (2) upgraded to it. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy my 1020. I wouldn't add a line to my account just to get the 925, though.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 is a fantastic phone, a nice camera and overall a good upgrade from the Lumia 920. However, the more l look at the 925 the more I wish I would have (1) known it was coming and (2) upgraded to it. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy my 1020. I wouldn't add a line to my account just to get the 925, though.

What does the 925 have that the 1020 doesn't? The fact that it's a lot slimmer? Or absence of The Hump?

For me I'd like the 1020 over the 920 for
- the camera (duh)
- the weight (surprisingly it's 15% lighter)
- the AMOLED screen (better night reading with white-on-black text)
- the lack of dust in the FFFC (frickin front facing camera)

Now all I need is a rep that'll waive the upgrade fee, or just a little more patience for what's next in the pureview line. Any rumors yet on what to expect for the next 41MP Lumia? Quad core probably. Anything else to help me save $300 this weekend? :)

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Note that the 920 has something the 1020 doesn't: wireless charging. If you want that, you're going to have to put the charging cover on and then you're right back to the weight of the 920. Personally I think it's worth it, but I sure wouldn't mind a smaller, lighter phone.

giffis

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
This happened to my friend too. He bought Lumia 900 and after few months replaced with another 900 on the same line. When WP8 released, his number was eligible for upgrade. I believe the store rep did something to give him the second phone and forget to add the contract back. So always check upgrade eligibility once in a while. You may be lucky.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
usually they will offer to buy your old phone back, did they give you a price for your 920? and you do notice the 32 a month added to the bill right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb