GUIDE: Flash and Convert AT&T Lumia 920 to Indian (or other Country) 920 w/official Lumia Black+GDR3

terchoo

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: GUIDE: Flash and Convert AT&T Lumia 920 to Indian (or other Country) 920 w/official GDR2+Amber

Hi
Have bought Lumia 920 from Singapore. I cant use Nokia Music and Nokia tells me that's because I have bought it outside of country of my residence (India).
Can I flash L920 using your method so that I can use Nokia Music? My phone is already out of warranty !

Regards
Manmeet

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: GUIDE: Flash and Convert AT&T Lumia 920 to Indian (or other Country) 920 w/official GDR2+Amber

Hi
Have bought Lumia 920 from Singapore. I cant use Nokia Music and Nokia tells me that's because I have bought it outside of country of my residence (India).
Can I flash L920 using your method so that I can use Nokia Music? My phone is already out of warranty !

Regards
Manmeet

Unfortunately, flashing the Indian ROM will not allow you to use Nokia Music in India, as the 920 bought from singapore will only work with the singapore Nokia Music. BUT there may be a way to get it working in India

Try following these steps

1. Go to Nokia Account - sign in with your Nokia Account credentials
2. In the About Me section, look at what country your profile is set to (I am guessing it is India)
3. Click on EDIT button which is next to About Me and in the edit page, set the country/region to Singapore. Click SAVE
4. Now on your phone, uninstall Nokia mix radio (if you have installed it already)
5. Go to settings--->language+region---> in the country/region drop down box, select Singapore
6. After selecting that, you will see a "restart phone" button - tap that and restart the phone.
7. After phone restarts, go to the store and re-install Nokia Mix Radio
8. Open Nokia Mix Radio, swipe to the right and you can see a settings button at the bottom - tap it
9. In the settings page, make sure you are signed in with your Nokia account we edited in steps 1-3
10. go back to Mix rado - it should be working now

This is a workaround method - the problem is that it will only work as long as your account and phone region are set to the same region as where the phone was bought from AND Indian Nokia Music vouchers will not work - If you need to buy Nokia music unlimited, you WILL have to buy a singapore nokia music voucher.

manmeetvirdi

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site

Dear Games Goblin
Thanks for replying. I will try the steps which you have mentioned. Just two more queries
1. Do you suggest me flash my L920 with Indian ROM? If yes then does the method mentioned by you is applicable for Singapore L920 too?
2. How is Nokia Music linked with device in such a way that even flashing wont solve this problem?

Regards
Manmeet

venu238

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately, flashing the Indian ROM will not allow you to use Nokia Music in India, as the 920 bought from singapore will only work with the singapore Nokia Music. BUT there may be a way to get it working in India

Try following these steps

1. Go to Nokia Account - sign in with your Nokia Account credentials
2. In the About Me section, look at what country your profile is set to (I am guessing it is India)
3. Click on EDIT button which is next to About Me and in the edit page, set the country/region to Singapore. Click SAVE
4. Now on your phone, uninstall Nokia mix radio (if you have installed it already)
5. Go to settings--->language+region---> in the country/region drop down box, select Singapore
6. After selecting that, you will see a "restart phone" button - tap that and restart the phone.
7. After phone restarts, go to the store and re-install Nokia Mix Radio
8. Open Nokia Mix Radio, swipe to the right and you can see a settings button at the bottom - tap it
9. In the settings page, make sure you are signed in with your Nokia account we edited in steps 1-3
10. go back to Mix rado - it should be working now

This is a workaround method - the problem is that it will only work as long as your account and phone region are set to the same region as where the phone was bought from AND Indian Nokia Music vouchers will not work - If you need to buy Nokia music unlimited, you WILL have to buy a singapore nokia music voucher.
thanks for the mix radio thing 😊

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site

Dear Games Goblin
Thanks for replying. I will try the steps which you have mentioned. Just two more queries
1. Do you suggest me flash my L920 with Indian ROM? If yes then does the method mentioned by you is applicable for Singapore L920 too?

If your singapore 920 is an unbranded one, there may not be much to gain by flashing an Indian ROM - as it should already have all the unbranded ROM benefits (tethering, no boot logos, data sense etc) - but if you feel like it, you can flash an Indian one. I think your phone should be an RM-821, so you should be able to directly flash the Indian ROM - to confirm, plug the phone into PC and run Nokia Software Updater for Retail - you can see your model no. there OR switch the phone off and pop out the SIM tray - you can read the model identifier printed there.

2. How is Nokia Music linked with device in such a way that even flashing wont solve this problem?

Nokia Music is region locked - i.e. Nokia music will only work on a device as long as the Nokia account profile region and phone region in that device is set to the same region as where the phone was originally bought from. Installing a different ROM won't solve this as Nokia will check the phone IMEI while authenticating the Nokia Music login (I think). You will be able to use Nokia music on the device even if you take it overseas or flash another ROM, as long as Nokia account region and phone region are set to the phone's home country.

Here is a small table that might explain this better - the results are based on my experimentation with my 920 (AT&T one bought from USA, being used in India)

nokia music.jpg

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Wondering if those who did this, are they getting the Black update now? As in earlier than ATT. Also, if you're on ATT and wish to stay on ATT but want to do this to get internet sharing would that work? Thanks for any clarification, didn't see these questions answered in the thread.

Ragde74

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

Hi. to all. Thanos for taking your time to create this helpfull forums.
I have a problem!.
I followed all instructions and were able to flash everything without a problem but when I inserted my sim card and restarted the phone it asked me for a pin number. The message says that the sim card can only be used for certain networks. Contact your customer service to obtain the unlock code. There are 10 atempts left.

I went to my service provider and they say that the problem is the phone not the simcard.
My phone is the red variant for AT&T 059N5T7 RM-820 NDT AMERICA ATT Red and I reflashed to 059S3M2 RM-820 VAR AMERICA LTA1 MX CV RED.

Any idea on how to get rid of this or what did I did wrong during the reflash process?

Thanks!

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site

Wondering if those who did this, are they getting the Black update now? As in earlier than ATT. Also, if you're on ATT and wish to stay on ATT but want to do this to get internet sharing would that work? Thanks for any clarification, didn't see these questions answered in the thread.

Yes, I flashed my brother's AT&T 920 to an RM-821 ROM (India) and it got the black update last week. When you get the update depends on which rom you decide to flash. Carrier ROMs will be slow to get the update, whereas country variant ones will get it fastest. Check this link to find out when the black update is rolling out for specific regions.

I think internet sharing will work on ATT with an unbranded (country variant) rom -- I am not sure about this. Be warned that flashing a different ROM *might* kill your LTE if you are with ATT - make sure to confirm that LTE and data sharing works on a specific rom before flashing it. Also, as mentioned in the guide, flashing another rom will void your warranty - and you can not flash back the ATT rom. keep these in mind.

Hi. to all. Thanos for taking your time to create this helpfull forums.
I have a problem!.
I followed all instructions and were able to flash everything without a problem but when I inserted my sim card and restarted the phone it asked me for a pin number. The message says that the sim card can only be used for certain networks. Contact your customer service to obtain the unlock code. There are 10 atempts left.

Your phone is SIM-locked to AT&T - you will need to get an SIM unlock code from AT&T -or- you could get one from websites that sell unlock codes. Note that whatever rom you flash, it does not have any effect on the sim lock status of the phone. If a locked phone is flashed, it will stay locked - and if an unlocked phone is flashed, it will stay unlocked.

One question - was your phone on AT&T Amber rom before you flashed it? I am just curious as I want to know if the guide will work on ATT 920's with the amber update.

eapenjacob

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

Hi Games,
First of all mighty thanks for the excellent step by step guide which saved me and a lot of people from extreme frustration and irritation. :)
I had got a at&t locked lumia 920 last year, and then got the unlock code from at&t and have been using it without any glitches and it was running the gdr2 with amber update.
2 days back my phone completely bricked and i was stuck on BSOD followed by Windows Boot Manager and everything was screwed.
But thanks to your step by step guide i was able to do a flash and convert it to Indian 920 and got the black update and voila! all is perfect. and after signing into hotmail got all my contacts and pictures.
so yeah, basically wanted to tell you thanks a ton!!
cheers!

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Your phone is SIM-locked to AT&T - you will need to get an SIM unlock code from AT&T -or- you could get one from websites that sell unlock codes. Note that whatever rom you flash, it does not have any effect on the sim lock status of the phone. If a locked phone is flashed, it will stay locked - and if an unlocked phone is flashed, it will stay unlocked.

One question - was your phone on AT&T Amber rom before you flashed it? I am just curious as I want to know if the guide will work on ATT 920's with the amber update.

I assume if you flash lock, you can still unlock with an unlock code after flashing? I know this was brought up several times but never clearly answered. For example I have a locked ATT 920, I flash, then I get an unlock code from ATT, would I be able to use it?

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site

I assume if you flash lock, you can still unlock with an unlock code after flashing? I know this was brought up several times but never clearly answered. For example I have a locked ATT 920, I flash, then I get an unlock code from ATT, would I be able to use it?

Yes, if you flash a locked phone with a new rom, you can still unlock your phone with the code provided by AT&T. Just pop in a SIM card of another carrier and turn on the phone - it will ask for the unlock code - input the code given by AT&T and your phone will be unlocked.

Nagy Szabolcs1

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: GUIDE: Flash and Convert AT&T Lumia 920 to Indian (or other Country) 920 w/official Lumia Black+

Hi i just tried with lumia 1020AT&T to roger and to eu cv (rm-875) but not work!!get an error message 0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

RajaI

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: GUIDE: Flash and Convert AT&T Lumia 920 to Indian (or other Country) 920 w/official Lumia Black+

Hello, I have a ATT unlocked 920 Cyan that I updated with Rogers ROM Updated to Amber following the Guide " Thanks for everyones contributions- Very helpful".
Considering flashing India ROM as I am having network drop issues. Cannot find India variant for Cyan. Wondering if i can use a different color variant? What is the difference between the color variants?

Sargathus

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

hi guys i'm having trouble with product support tol for store. i did everything.but i can't click to programing.so i need help guys.i'm using at&t stock rom and i cant use internet sharing.

im waiting reply.thanks

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site

Hi i just tried with lumia 1020AT&T to roger and to eu cv (rm-875) but not work!!get an error message 0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

the method outlined in this guide is for the 920 only. Please search in the 1020 forums if there is a way to flash different roms onto the 1020

Hello, I have a ATT unlocked 920 Cyan that I updated with Rogers ROM Updated to Amber following the Guide " Thanks for everyones contributions- Very helpful".
Considering flashing India ROM as I am having network drop issues. Cannot find India variant for Cyan. Wondering if i can use a different color variant? What is the difference between the color variants?

It does not matter which color variant you flash - the difference btw color variants is the color of the tiles that show during first bootup (after a new flash/factory reset). Network issues should not happen whatever rom the phone has. Try a sim card of another operator. If it continues even after flashing a new rom, it may be a hardware issue (antennas most likely)

hi guys i'm having trouble with product support tol for store. i did everything.but i can't click to programing.so i need help guys.i'm using at&t stock rom and i cant use internet sharing. im waiting reply.thanks

try unisntalling nokia care suite and re-installing it. Make sure to download the version of NCS, the link of which is given at the start of the guide

RajaI

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Thanks Games, I have taken the phone to the Local Nokia care and was told that there were no hardware issues. I also had no issue while using the phone in the US and was told that it could be a software issue. Using the Rogers ROM currently and the situation is better, but not completely rectified. Hence thinking updating to India would help. I will give it a try and post the results for the benefit of the rest of the forum members.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site

Thanks Games, I have taken the phone to the Local Nokia care and was told that there were no hardware issues. I also had no issue while using the phone in the US and was told that it could be a software issue. Using the Rogers ROM currently and the situation is better, but not completely rectified. Hence thinking updating to India would help. I will give it a try and post the results for the benefit of the rest of the forum members.

It shouldn't be a software problem; my brother used his AT&T 920 with the AT&T rom on Air-Tel without any problems, before I flashed it to Indian ROM. Also, I have tested my ATT 920 flashed with the rogers rom on TATA-DOCOMO, and that too worked great. You should try using a different network provider.

RajaI

May 28, 2013
Visit site

It shouldn't be a software problem; my brother used his AT&T 920 with the AT&T rom on Air-Tel without any problems, before I flashed it to Indian ROM. Also, I have tested my ATT 920 flashed with the rogers rom on TATA-DOCOMO, and that too worked great. You should try using a different network provider.

I have tried with Airtel and Tata Docomo and facing the same problem. I have updated to Indian ROM now and should see how it works. If not, I will have it checked by the Nokia Service center again for Antenna issues.

fbloise

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

I got the same error when trying to install the unbranded RM-821 to my Lumia 920 RM-820.

Help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb