Ugh Verizon is making me dislike my 928 lol

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft warranty is $99 at time of purchase and covers you for 24 months. Look at what you spend monthly on Verizon for 24 months, and this is a bargain, if you have the cash to lay out up front. $99 vs $192.

Let me add that I am a staunch opponent of extended warranties, as I used to work for one of the largest insurance companies in the world, administering extended warranties on computers and peripherals. I've seen first hand what a rip-off it is, when you look at the numbers (odds of you using the insurance vs. what it covers/costs). But given the price tags on today's phones, I find it hard to pass up, as long as it is a policy that covers damage. MS's plan covers accidental damage, but not loss, IIRC, and has already paid off for me, since I dropped my phone on the edge of a concrete step, while fending off a 50' long anaconda that was trying to eat me (the phone saved my life).

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
The reps at the store are there to sell the latest and greatest phone period. They want people to get new contracts and extend existing ones with whatever promotional plan exists that day. I've never had any luck with the store reps beyond buying stuff. It seems they could care less about technical issues.

You should just call Verizon tech support as they will be able to swap it for you in the 14 day period and probably overnight you a replacement.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft warranty is $99 at time of purchase and covers you for 24 months. Look at what you spend monthly on Verizon for 24 months, and this is a bargain, if you have the cash to lay out up front. $99 vs $192.

Let me add that I am a staunch opponent of extended warranties, as I used to work for one of the largest insurance companies in the world, administering extended warranties on computers and peripherals. I've seen first hand what a rip-off it is, when you look at the numbers (odds of you using the insurance vs. what it covers/costs). But given the price tags on today's phones, I find it hard to pass up, as long as it is a policy that covers damage. MS's plan covers accidental damage, but not loss, IIRC, and has already paid off for me, since I dropped my phone on the edge of a concrete step, while fending off a 50' long anaconda that was trying to eat me (the phone saved my life).

That's a lot better deal than paying Verizon every month for Assurion insurance that has a $100 deductible and doesn't extend the warranty.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So as an update I went back to the same store today. I am so grateful the morons I worked with last time were not there.

I wanted to exchange for a black Lumia as I dislike the glossy white but they said it would be a restocking fee which I understood so I decided to get another white.

I then lucked out that they were not in stock of white 928 so I wound up getting a black one after all. It was a much better experience and I hope the issues with my Lumia are over and done with with this new model.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I then lucked out that they were not in stock of white 928 so I wound up getting a black one after all.

That's rad, I'm glad to hear things wound up working your way.

For what it's worth? My first 920 was white. I didn't like it very much, the white plastic looked... cheap to me. My current 920 is black, and I love it. It just looks sleek. Granted, you're on the 928, but the plastics can't be THAT different.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That's rad, I'm glad to hear things wound up working your way.

For what it's worth? My first 920 was white. I didn't like it very much, the white plastic looked... cheap to me. My current 920 is black, and I love it. It just looks sleek. Granted, you're on the 928, but the plastics can't be THAT different.
yeah I had the 920 in red and yellow. The white 928 feels the exact same :D and thanks!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So as an update I went back to the same store today. I am so grateful the morons I worked with last time were not there.

I wanted to exchange for a black Lumia as I dislike the glossy white but they said it would be a restocking fee which I understood so I decided to get another white.

I then lucked out that they were not in stock of white 928 so I wound up getting a black one after all. It was a much better experience and I hope the issues with my Lumia are over and done with with this new model.
It's awesome when good things happen. :grin:

graffia274

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I would have to agree with the 2nd poster in this thread. Verizon's in-store customer service is awful. Not to mention they literally know nothing about WP. For fun I asked them about the 928, and the rep was telling me things that just were not true about the device. I didn't really buy it when people said the reps were trying to talk them out of the WP and into an Android or iPhone, but that is exactly what happened to me. She tried to get me to take a look at the GS4. That seemed like a good idea to her until I told her I had a launch day GS4 and found it to be complete trash with lag out of the box.

Basically, I went through 4 928s, 3 had various hardware issues, 1 had a software issue. I got so frustrated, but love WP so much that I just paid the $300+ to get out of the contract and got a no-contract plan with T-Mobile for the NL925. I miss the built-in wireless charging, but otherwise the 925 is my favorite WP out currently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss