1520 Snapdragon 800, 600 or 400?

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I just wondering which SoC the 1520 will have, it would be disappointing if its appeared not to be 800 series, its the only series that has the 330 gpu which much needed for 1080p 6" display.. I think nokia needs for the first time to put the latest chip as other competitor in one of their phones... Any info or rumors about the SoC? What do you think?

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It is the 800 series. Nokia would be foolish to release it with anything else.

Sources? Nokia used to be foolish regarding SoCs that yhey use, they always been out dated... Even todays flagships like 920, 925, 928 and 1020... They struggles with very heavy games and the phone become overheated to level that you can't hold it....

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing a Qualcomm 600 for this, the 920 successor and the 820 successor.

I'm thinking that this is to lower costs. Besides, the 600 can support 21MP cameras.

GideonTerblanche

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Sources? Nokia used to be foolish regarding SoCs that yhey use, they always been out dated... Even todays flagships like 920, 925, 928 and 1020... They struggles with very heavy games and the phone become overheated to level that you can't hold it....

well Microsoft is mostly to blame!

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Im also wondering if Nokia considering this device as a flagship with high specs while thinking about the leaked image of the all metal phablet... Hope that 1520 will be metal and the polycarbonate one was just a prototype....

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 620 has same soc as l925 only thing is down clocking and one gb of ram. I mean that's a big lol, a flagship model should have much bigger specs but i guess there's hardly any heavy apps to really push wp to its limits.

If 1520 is coming out with gddr3, then my guess is the snapdragon 800..

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It could not be 400 just because for 1080p screen resolution and how slugish it would be. It makes no sense in so many levels to have 400, and neither has anybody suggested so on any rumor. So I doubt anybody need to worry about that.

Who knows will it be 600 or 800, but so far every single rumor talks about 800 and that's the SoC to go for now on flagship phablets.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
IT has to be the 800 or the VERY LEAST 600. All of the previous Lumias did not support the latest and greatest SoC's (thanks Microsoft...) which is why they had to settle for the best ones that it could support.
With WP7 the best they could do was the Snapdragon S1 (everyone was on S2's already)
With WP7.8 the best they could do was the Snapdragon S2 series. (everyone was on S3 and migrating to S4 and dual cores)
With WP8 the best they could do was the Snapdragon S4 duals (well this one kind of matched the competitor flagships, but only for like a month before they went quad cores)
Now GDR3 finally brings quad core (200 and 400 for sure, 800 most likely, ive seen no mention of 600 though) and there isn't anything on the horizon that will supplant it in the near future.

The thing that has always baffled me is that the Snapdragon S4 comes with adreno320 (Lumia 920T), but they never used that variant in any of the just released lumia flagships...so the 'flagships' are always stuck with the adreno 225 which is the last of the line of 'just not good enough' GPU's from Qualcomm (the 320 finally brought them to competitiveness and the 330 is one of the best out there right now)

Sam Not Spam

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Question: my 900 is nice and fast, and from what I understand WP8 runs nice and light on even modest hardware such as the Lumia 520. What's the real benefit of a quad-core Snapdragon 800 in this case? Especially given the WP8 tombstones apps rather than run them in a true multitasking fashion (done for battery life and overall efficiency, no?)...

Just curious. I'm pretty excited about the 1520, but aside from having to push more pixels, I'm not sure what all the extra power is for.

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Question: my 900 is nice and fast, and from what I understand WP8 runs nice and light on even modest hardware such as the Lumia 520. What's the real benefit of a quad-core Snapdragon 800 in this case? Especially given the WP8 tombstones apps rather than run them in a true multitasking fashion (done for battery life and overall efficiency, no?)...

Just curious. I'm pretty excited about the 1520, but aside from having to push more pixels, I'm not sure what all the extra power is for.
Ok, as some reported multitasking will be better in WP 8.1 and this need better CPU and ram, and 8.1 will have much extra features and background processes. current windows phone is fluid OS but heavy apps needs a while to open and multitasking is not that much good.
also 1080p screens and heavy 3D games needs much better GPU which the snapdragon 800 has (Adreno 330), try to run 3D game on any lumia flagship and see how much over heated the phone will be, and sometimes heavy games lags.
Hope this gives an idea why 1520 needs to have snapdragon 800.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Think of it more of a future proof than "what do I need for it", especially as 800 battery life is reported to be same or even better than Snapdragon 600. When the next device comes up with even more power, you will be in a very good position with Lumia 1520 as you truly have device that had the most powerful SoC available in that gen. New games or heavy apps should be a no-brainer to run on your Lumia 1520 in 2 years time, but that might be different case for Lumia 720. Hell, even Nokia Pro camera on Lumia 1020 with its 2GB of RAM is not lag free. it will be without doubt on Lumia 1520.

We need to remember these are not CPU's and not only related to power, the real term here is SoC. it's the heart of the whole device that determines much of it connections for example.
There are many things Snapdragon 800 brings, example new GPS chip that is featured on the new iPhone 5S and on Qualcomm 800 devices, support for 4k video capture and decoding, USB3.0 support, 802.11ac natively supported, Quick Charge 2.0 feature that lets the device charge faster, DSP that can switch the phone in to ulta-low power levels for predefined software (music playback or such. Needs to be enabled by MS or Nokia on that specific app) and more possibilities in general for hardware manufacturers to bring new tricks. I got a feeling we will see some with that 20MP camera sensor on Lumia 1520 that Nokia was not able to do on Lumia 1020 quite oldish SoC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett