I'm heartbroken!!

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I didn't realize Nokia still made phones until seeing the one in Star Trek 2009. Then I started looking at getting a 920 this year... last I knew of Nokia was my 3210 from about 10 years ago. It's been all LG, Motorola and Samsung (all non-smart phones, except for a LG Quantum... loved the physical keyboard!!!!!) since then. But I'm glad they hung around, loving my 920 and feel I missed out on the N97 - that looks like a killer!

Last edited:

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I understand that many of the people here believe that Nokia will still continue, just under a different name. And it may even produce better devices which maybe good for WP as a whole, but the thing is, it is sad to see the name go. I understand and accept your opinion, trust me.
But there was an emotional connection with Nokia, and that's where it makes me upset.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I understand that many of the people here believe that Nokia will still continue, just under a different name. And it may even produce better devices which maybe good for WP as a whole, but the thing is, it is sad to see the name go. I understand and accept your opinion, trust me.
But there was an emotional connection with Nokia, and that's where it makes me upset.

I understand where you're coming from. It's similar to how I felt when Sega left the console business.

bradbamford

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
They will still be making Nokia phones, even Microsoft will still be making Nokia branded phones for the next 10 years (feature phones).
In 2016 Nokia can even make their own Nokia phones any way they like again. They just can't use the name Lumia anymore since Microsoft now owns the trademark.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Of course losing Nokia as an independent manufacturer is sad. Not "Throw yourself off a cliff into a lake of razor blades" sad. More like "Dang, I wish my favorite Ice Cream shop hadn't discontinued my favorite flavor" sad.

-All manufacturing and supply lines remain as is for right now. Very few, if any, of the jobs assured by Nokia will be lost over the first year of becoming Microsoft.

-Our favorite OS is assured of great devices.

-The next 18 months of devices will still be all Nokia designed. It will take until at least fall of 2014 until MS-influenced hardware are even being designed.

lastly, let us not forget WHY this happened: Nokia was reaching the end of it's exclusive, 1 billion a year deal with MS. It had been so succesful, they were closing in on 90% of WP sales, driving a good 10% of app development, and were pushing sales of WP handsets in EVERY REGION they were being sold to new highs. Microsoft could not afford to lose this driving force. Buying the entire company was better then risking losing them. So, if Nokia was THAT successful:

WHY in the name of Steve Ballmer's uncanny resemblance to the Frankenstien's monster of "Putting on the Ritz" fame would MS mess with success??? Nokia's influence on the mobile arm of MS will be HUGE!! It will still be Nokia. Just Nokia in the position to kick all of WP to new heights.

Yes, I have come full circle on this. I have grown to love this purchase.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
They will still be making Nokia phones, even Microsoft will still be making Nokia branded phones for the next 10 years (feature phones).
In 2016 Nokia can even make their own Nokia phones any way they like again. They just can't use the name Lumia anymore since Microsoft now owns the trademark.

I don't think that's possible. MS have bought the mobile phone division which includes the manufacturing and logistics for creating phones as well as all the staff - Its highly unlikely that whats left of nokia will make enough money to rebuild all of that and be in a position to ever make another mobile phone.

bradbamford

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that's possible. MS have bought the mobile phone division which includes the manufacturing and logistics for creating phones as well as all the staff - Its highly unlikely that whats left of nokia will make enough money to rebuild all of that and be in a position to ever make another mobile phone.

It won't be easy, but they still have brand awareness (obviously that's what this whole thread is about). So, they could design something in house (slap android or wp on it) and then outsource all the manufacturing. Slowly building back up.
They still have the same sales channels they have had for decades, so it's not impossible.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Of course losing Nokia as an independent manufacturer is sad. Not "Throw yourself off a cliff into a lake of razor blades" sad. More like "Dang, I wish my favorite Ice Cream shop hadn't discontinued my favorite flavor" sad.

-All manufacturing and supply lines remain as is for right now. Very few, if any, of the jobs assured by Nokia will be lost over the first year of becoming Microsoft.

-Our favorite OS is assured of great devices.

-The next 18 months of devices will still be all Nokia designed. It will take until at least fall of 2014 until MS-influenced hardware are even being designed.

lastly, let us not forget WHY this happened: Nokia was reaching the end of it's exclusive, 1 billion a year deal with MS. It had been so succesful, they were closing in on 90% of WP sales, driving a good 10% of app development, and were pushing sales of WP handsets in EVERY REGION they were being sold to new highs. Microsoft could not afford to lose this driving force. Buying the entire company was better then risking losing them. So, if Nokia was THAT successful:

WHY in the name of Steve Ballmer's uncanny resemblance to the Frankenstien's monster of "Putting on the Ritz" fame would MS mess with success??? Nokia's influence on the mobile arm of MS will be HUGE!! It will still be Nokia. Just Nokia in the position to kick all of WP to new heights.

Yes, I have come full circle on this. I have grown to love this purchase.

Quite a nice read there. Thanks for the insight :) As time is passing, I am starting to see the bright side of things.
And the side does seem to be very bright.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It won't be easy, but they still have brand awareness (obviously that's what this whole thread is about). So, they could design something in house (slap android or wp on it) and then outsource all the manufacturing. Slowly building back up.
They still have the same sales channels they have had for decades, so it's not impossible.

Do you think the brand awareness will stick around till that time?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
They could always snap up Jolla in a heartbeat and bring back MeeGo ;)

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Heart broken is too strong a word. I went for Nokia since they were the only company that was actually dedicated to this platform. I expected support, and more or less got it. Personally I have very high hopes for this merger and the future of the Windows Phone platform. Nokia has changed fields several time in the past. I'm sure that people where disappointed when the left fishing/lumber. People were probably disappointed and heartbroken when Nokia moved on from rubber. New chapter, and the sequel is being written by MS. They are this big for a reason.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not that worried, but I do hope they keep using the brand awareness that Nokia has for a while. Nokia phones are still seen as durable and high-quality phones, and I'm betting there are thousands of people who want a Nokia just because it's a Nokia, not because of Windows Phone or anything.
What will happen when the Nokia brand completely disappears and the "Nokia Lumia" phones tranform in "Windows Phones", and oblivious people go to the store and ask the staff "I'd like to buy a Nokia"? They'll have to answer with "Nokia doesn't exist anymore, it's Microsoft now. So you'll have to buy a Windows Phone". I think a lot of salespeople will easily change that advice to "Nokia doesn't exist anymore, but the new Samsung Galaxy is very popular! You should buy that one!"

TL;DR: People still go to stores to buy a Nokia. If they find out they're gone, what will keep them from buying an Android or an iPhone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte