Randomly Cracked Screen

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
So I picked my phone up off of my desk at work today to check on something, and I noticed a small but very noticable crack in the screen! I have NO idea where this could have come from because I've NEVER dropped this phone, I keep it in my pocket by itself (separate from my keys) and when it's not in my pocket it's either on my desk at work, resting on my leg in the car, or on the couch or nightstand at home. I've never heard of a screen just randomly cracking by itself but there's no way that I did this! Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Do you think Nokia will repair/replace this under the warranty? The phone is only 3 weeks old! :(

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
HTC was putting a label on their phones telling you not to carry your phone in your pocket. I had scanned the label and posted it here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7/180214-phone-pocket-warning.html but tinypic has deleted it. Phones are getting thinner and more fragile. Put a DVD in your pocket and then sit down. The DVD will be bending.

Nokia won't replace it under warranty.. .

I can guarantee that this didn't happen in my pocket. Every pair of pants that I own has loose pockets, and I keep my phone screen-side-in to make sure the screen isn't hit if I bump into something, and if I sit down with it in my pocket, there's little to no pressure being put on the phone. Besides, if you're not supposed to carry your phone in your pocket, what do they expect you to do? Carry a purse? I'm a dude! Also, my phone is a Nokia, not an HTC, and as we all know the 928 neither thin nor fragile. I had an 8x for month and treated it the exact same way and this never happened.

I'm still going to contact Nokia to see what they can do, and I won't be surprised if they won't replace/repair it under the warranty, but I just can't think of any scenario where I would have caused this. At the same time, it doesn't really make any sense for the screen to have spontaneously cracked on its own...

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Let us know what happens when you contact Nokia.

I guess HTC was suggesting the use of an external belt clip case, but I know a lot of people don't like those.

von929Shavone

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
My wife's white 920 cracked randomly in her hand a small, but noticeable crack. Then one day out of the blue that small crack just shattered into a completely cracked screen. The phone was still functional, but I believe this may be a defect in the so called "Gorilla Glass" and the sad thing is. We were expected to play the 150.00 deductible, because AT&T didn't believe the phone shattered on it's own. That Gorilla Glass is garbage. My 1020 has a minor scratch near the AT&T logo. Keep in mind I've never dropped my phone and keep it in a pocket by itself. I go to the store to purchase a Zagg Full body shield and the employee is trying to tell me it's not needed. He pulls out his 1020 and starts to scratch the screen with his keys as if I'm some *****. I pulled out my 920 and 1020 and showed him how the screen does scratch and his was in disbelief. My point being the screen will and does randomly crack and it's is not scratch proof, so all those so called beat a nail with your 920, like a hammer is crap! Good luck getting a replacement. My advice is called AT&T and tell them your phone is stuck on the gears after a reset and have them send you a replacement if its still under warranty before the screen completely cracks. The minor crack doesn't matter, Their main concern is water damage and as long as there's no water damage they'll ship you a replacement.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That advice is called "Insurance Fraud". It is a crime. I worked at one of the largest insurance companies in the world for three years, and as part of my job, I turned in insurance agents to the company for perpetuating the same crime.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
My wife's white 920 cracked randomly in her hand a small, but noticeable crack. Then one day out of the blue that small crack just shattered into a completely cracked screen. The phone was still functional, but I believe this may be a defect in the so called "Gorilla Glass" and the sad thing is. We were expected to play the 150.00 deductible, because AT&T didn't believe the phone shattered on it's own. That Gorilla Glass is garbage. My 1020 has a minor scratch near the AT&T logo. Keep in mind I've never dropped my phone and keep it in a pocket by itself. I go to the store to purchase a Zagg Full body shield and the employee is trying to tell me it's not needed. He pulls out his 1020 and starts to scratch the screen with his keys as if I'm some *****. I pulled out my 920 and 1020 and showed him how the screen does scratch and his was in disbelief. My point being the screen will and does randomly crack and it's is not scratch proof, so all those so called beat a nail with your 920, like a hammer is crap! Good luck getting a replacement. My advice is called AT&T and tell them your phone is stuck on the gears after a reset and have them send you a replacement if its still under warranty before the screen completely cracks. The minor crack doesn't matter, Their main concern is water damage and as long as there's no water damage they'll ship you a replacement.

I'm afraid that this small crack will eventually lead to something worse like what happened with your wife's. I'm about to call Nokia now to see if they can help. I guess I'll let you all know what happens.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Let us know what happens when you contact Nokia.

I guess HTC was suggesting the use of an external belt clip case, but I know a lot of people don't like those.

I used to use one of the belt clip cases way back in the day, but I feel like those make it more susceptible to damage since the phone is so exposed on the hip. I'm pretty clumsy and tend to bump into things from time to time, so that's why I stopped using them. :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium