Android user asksabout the Lumia 920

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So, if MS takes 1whole year to update 8.0 to 8.1 that would mean its generally still slightly quicker with Android phones and especially the issue of OEM's like Samsung, HTC & LG.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So, if MS takes 1whole year to update 8.0 to 8.1 that would mean its generally still slightly quicker with Android phones and especially the issue of OEM's like Samsung, HTC & LG.

A year? By the time 8.1 gets here it's going to be a year and a half, isn't it? Didn't WP8 come out October 2012?

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, there were updates between then and now, they just weren't point releases.

BTW, I haven't read through the entire thread but if you're interested in the 920 you may as well wait til next week when the 930 is supposed to come out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I just bought myself a Lumia 920 and i'm awaiting delivery in next few days. I just thought get a respectful and very good Windows Phone, test the waters and see if the OS suits me. And reading about WP8.1 things are looking definitely getting better and moving forward.

But i must admit i will miss Android. But some features are on the way for WP8.1

I still feel having an optimised OS "working together" with the phone's hardware things should be better and should be the way. Having a 1.5Ghz dual-core phone w/ 1GB RAM (like the Lumia 920) would still be technically inferior to a 1.4Ghz quad-core w/ 2GB RAM right? If not for an optimised OS like Windows Phone 8 then things would be different.

If i like my phone i keep it. And i usually keep the photos on my phone then saving it on the cloud for future use. But if the OS doesn't "help me" and make me feel confident with what it can do then what's the point of even having phone. Am i making sense?

I have done a rough study on what apps on Android has an equivalent on the WP8 store. So far its 7 out of 10 which isn't bad i thought.

Games as i said i can play them on my Galaxy Note tablet. or my PS3. No big deal really. The Windows Marketplace (or is it called The Windows Phone Store?) will only get a lot better this year. I just wish the men tasked to look after WIndows Phone would accelerate plans, be more agrressive with marketing, make the WP8 platform a bit more open, updates that are very often based on user-end suggestions.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I just bought myself a Lumia 920 and i'm awaiting delivery in next few days. I just thought get a respectful and very good Windows Phone, test the waters and see if the OS suits me. And reading about WP8.1 things are looking definitely getting better and moving forward.

But i must admit i will miss Android. But some features are on the way for WP8.1

I still feel having an optimised OS "working together" with the phone's hardware things should be better and should be the way. Having a 1.5Ghz dual-core phone w/ 1GB RAM (like the Lumia 920) would still be technically inferior to a 1.4Ghz quad-core w/ 2GB RAM right? If not for an optimised OS like Windows Phone 8 then things would be different.

If i like my phone i keep it. And i usually keep the photos on my phone then saving it on the cloud for future use. But if the OS doesn't "help me" and make me feel confident with what it can do then what's the point of even having phone. Am i making sense?

I have done a rough study on what apps on Android has an equivalent on the WP8 store. So far its 7 out of 10 which isn't bad i thought.

Games as i said i can play them on my Galaxy Note tablet. or my PS3. No big deal really. The Windows Marketplace (or is it called The Windows Phone Store?) will only get a lot better this year. I just wish the men tasked to look after WIndows Phone would accelerate plans, be more agrressive with marketing, make the WP8 platform a bit more open, updates that are very often based on user-end suggestions.

Wp8 was good, with 8.1 developer preview, I doubt you'll miss android, only if you miss one app or two, 8.1 developer preview is insanely good, os is now as sharp as never and the new notification centre is terrific! and don't worry, you won't miss quad core processors on android, 920's dual core is good enough to push the os and make the things you want to do without lagging, or getting stuck at something =)

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I can't wait for WP 8.1. I'm only an ordinary consumer/user so i suppose i have to wait for the consumer version.

My eyes are set on the new Lumia 930 and its set as "Coming Soon" in the Nokia UK website. Summer is around the corner so i suppose the 8.1. is not too long now. I can still get the GDR3 "Black"update for my 920 so i'll see what it can offer me for now.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't wait for WP 8.1. I'm only an ordinary consumer/user so i suppose i have to wait for the consumer version.

My eyes are set on the new Lumia 930 and its set as "Coming Soon" in the Nokia UK website. Summer is around the corner so i suppose the 8.1. is not too long now. I can still get the GDR3 "Black"update for my 920 so i'll see what it can offer me for now.

I'm a 920 owner and will not be "upgrading" to the 930, personally. The blocky design was a potential deal-breaker for me, but then the lack of Glance was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I want to upgrade to a 1520, but aside from the big screen (which I can adjust to), the massive sensitivity issues have really turned me off to it.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean about "sensitivity issues"? I thought the 930 would be a step-up from the 920?

Due to my budget constraints i have decided on a 920 as i said it's still very respectable until today. If money was no object i would get a 1020.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean about "sensitivity issues"? I thought the 930 would be a step-up from the 920?

Due to my budget constraints i have decided on a 920 as i said it's still very respectable until today. If money was no object i would get a 1020.

I mean the screen sensitivity problems. Many people say it's not a big deal and can be overlooked, but it seems like the vast majority of devices are affected by it. As I understand it, the issue is that swipes are sometimes interpreted as taps, and other times not registered altogether. But even with that, I'd get a 1520 over a 930. Its combination of specs, feature-set, and aesthetics make it Nokia's true flagship in my opinion.

The 930 is indeed an upgrade from the 920 in terms of internal specs, but not necessarily in terms of feature-set. In fact, it's a regression in some ways. You'll be missing Glance Screen, which the 920 has. This allows you to see the time and whether or not you have any notifications at any time without ever touching your phone, i.e. it's "always on." You won't have that with the 930. The camera should be an upgrade, though the 920's shooter is very formidable. I personally do not like the blocky design of the 930, but that's totally subjective.

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

In fact, the dev preview is available for any user, there is a good "how to" on this website. I'm not a dev, nor my family is, but we all have the 8.1 on our Lumia. Just waiting for app updates now.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Now, i understand anyone can be a developer is this correct? I have breifly read how one can actually install 8.1. on a Lumia if you pay $19 or the second option which is to start a new project i think.

But regardless....my question is: if the full consumer version of 8.1 does come out soon (i.e. iron out bugs, add other new features, etc.) will it just wipe out the installed developer version?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos